The PC form factor: "Lots of legacy attached."

I use Photshop and Illustrator on daily basis, and for a very long time I thought that mouse and keyboard combo is the only method that offers enough speed, precision and especially comfort, since I spend a lot of time working and I wasn't sure about the ergonomics of touching my 24" screen and holding my hands in front of me for several hours instead of letting them rest on the table.

But then I read a few posts by Dot Matrix and he convinced me to give touch input a shot, and now I see the error of my ways, touch is the way to go and mouse and keyboards are soon to be extinct.

Wacom tablets are immensely better than a mouse, and offer more precision.

Wacom tablets and digitizers have LONG been alternatives to mice (and even trackpads) - since Windows 9x/NT 3.x; what has held them back from wider adoption was certainly NOT been lack of accuracy, but price.

Answer this - if Wacom had a digitizer at a mouse price-point, would you buy and use it?  (If so, then you have answered the question on the absolutism of mice.)

Wacom tablets and digitizers have LONG been alternatives to mice (and even trackpads) - since Windows 9x/NT 3.x; what has held them back from wider adoption was certainly NOT been lack of accuracy, but price.

Answer this - if Wacom had a digitizer at a mouse price-point, would you buy and use it?  (If so, then you have answered the question on the absolutism of mice.)

Of course I would, especially if it could match the touch gestures of Windows 8. I would probably ditch the mouse for good at that point, only breaking it out for the games I play.

I would've thought Leap Motion could replace the mouse...until they released it.  :(  Maybe someday Kinect for Windows won't be so useless.

I like Leap Motion. There's a lot of work to do with it yet, but it has a ton of potential, and I would be surprised if it isn't incorporated into Windows one day.

Gaming isn't a day to day operation. Obviously, that still needs a mouse, however I fully expect specialized wireless controllers such as you find on consoles to take over.

That doesn't require a mouse to do.

The mouse and keyboard aren't bound together. You *can* run a physical keyboard without a mouse. I use that setup on my Surface daily.

Good for you I guess? I use my mouse daily, too.

The Cintiq desktops are rather popular for graphic artists...

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/cintiq-24-hd

I'm well aware of the alternatives, and sorry for sort of trolling, but I simply don't understand the obsession of claiming that there's something wrong with current input methods just because they're old. If they do the job (and in many cases they do it better than new input methods) there's no need to change them.

• Like 2

Well, as wireless networking gets better, servers will be able to compute stuff for our tiny mobile devices. Soon, you will only have a screen and input, and you will be remotely accessing a server for your computer. Kind of like OnLive, but with less failure.

The mouse (and touch) will disappear once we'll be able to control input with the brain at an affordable price.

This will never happen because one can always fit more powerful hardware in a bigger box. Just because mobile will get better, that doesn't mean desktops or servers will not evolve as well.

I'll add my 2 cents.

I'm currently using a 20" desktop monitor... but I'm planning on getting a 24" or even a 27"

However... a touchscreen hasn't once entered my mind.

I'm currently using a 20" desktop monitor... but I'm planning on getting a 24" or even a 27"

Get 2x24" monitors. Much better in my opinion than a single 27". Depending on the precise models you get, two nice 24" can cost the same as one nice 27"

• Like 1

The "precision" of the mouse is a lie. Many desktop operations can be switched with quick gestures, making many buttons that need pressed obsolete. Unless you're plotting points, that precision isn't really needed in day to day operations.

no it's not a lie. i can tap the screen on a tablet or smart phone several times and it doesn't register the press.. or it thinks that i pressed something i didn't intend. Tablets and smart phones are still largely just toys. The work that they can do is limited by the fact that realistically it can only accept one input at a time and that you have hands and fingers covering much of the screen.

Funny that people are talking about touch in these comments when the actual article doesn't.

The source article that the OP referenced most certainly talks about touch:

The fundamental difference between the PC ? both desktop and notebook ? and post-PC devices ultimately comes down to how people interact with them. At the heart of a PC are a physical keyboard, a largish screen, and a pointing device, while post-PCs devices have a software keyboard, smaller screen, and your finger is normally the pointing device

It's kinda hard to not talk about touch... when all these new devices are touch-based instead of click-based.

Two words will ensure the survival of the keyboard and mouse; tactile feedback, and a vibration does not count as tactile feedback.  There are those of us who will just never completely adapt to touch controls.  For a lot of day to day uses, like smart-phones and mobile devices, touch is handy, but when I sit down and want to play a game, post on forums and chat with friends, I want a regular keyboard and mouse.

• Like 2

The source article that the OP referenced most certainly talks about touch:

The fundamental difference between the PC ? both desktop and notebook ? and post-PC devices ultimately comes down to how people interact with them. At the heart of a PC are a physical keyboard, a largish screen, and a pointing device, while post-PCs devices have a software keyboard, smaller screen, and your finger is normally the pointing device

It's kinda hard to not talk about touch... when all these new devices are touch-based instead of click-based.

It is talking about the devices primary (not exclusionary) mode of interaction, not the touchscreen itself.  So thanks for that one whole line of irrelevance..

• Like 1

It is talking about the devices primary (not exclusionary) mode of interaction, not the touchscreen itself.  So thanks for that one whole line of irrelevance..

Wow dude, you shut him down pretty hard there, From what I've read, one could surmise <use of wording check> it could be interpreted as what user input could be evolving into.

Having said that, I've little to no intention of going full touch, as I prefer the more traditional interface ecosystem in place, and type faster, with fewer typos using a keyboard than on a touch screen, as on the keyboard if I don't press the key correctly, my finger would feel that I've pressed 2 keys at once, on a screen that doesn't happen. A mouse just feels more natural for my personal use, I've tried tracerball mice and find myself trying to move the whole thing, instead of rolling the ball with my thumb.

So it sort of is, in a way, relevant, as more and more devices, would simply interface to a centralised computer or server, if looking forwards..

Sounds interesting and convenient, and I'm not against the idea, just I won't be in a hurry to adopt that system, :)

(no offence intended)

If it's not talking about a touchscreen... what else would you be touching?

Anyway... you said the article didn't mention touch at all... when clearly it did.

"Funny that people are talking about touch in these comments when the actual article doesn't."

It's talking about post-PC devices happening to have touchscreens, which is not the same as talking about touchscreens.  I can talk about the White House having a president without talking about the president, can I not?

This discussion...I'll pass.

It's talking about post-PC devices happening to have touchscreens, which is not the same as talking about touchscreens.  I can talk about the White House having a president without talking about the president, can I not?

This discussion...I'll pass.

Why are you passing?  Something YOU said is the reason I replied in the first place:

"Funny that people are talking about touch in these comments when the actual article doesn't."

What's funny about it?  It sounds like the article DOES talk about touch... while you claim it doesn't.

That's all I was saying.

You can have touch technology without touchscreens. The keyboards for the Surface, for example, are touch based.

You can have touch technology without touchscreens. The keyboards for the Surface, for example, are touch based.

Yikes.  If the PC of 2025 is based on mushy touchy keyboards like the Surface... count me out!   :D

But like you said... the youth of today are being brought up on tablet and smartphones. Those devices aren't usually associated with any kind of external keyboard... touch or mechanical. They mostly rely on the on-screen keyboard.

So that's why I was thinking about touchscreens instead.