Question

Posted

My sapphire 280x toxics keep dying and not sure why well the memory screws up heres the video

http://youtu.be/WYwYWVNXD84

i have antec truepower 650 and is about 3 years old, cus it requires 2x 8 pin connectors ive bin plugging another cable into my PSU on a different 12v rail (think its a 25amp one) so there 2 cables, main one is running everything and 1 8x pin connector, 2nd one is running just the 2nd 8 pin connector on it. is that ok to do and isnt over volting it or anything? or could it be that the 2nd 12 volt plug is killing the cards??

any help would be good

37 answers to this question

Posted

Have you tested the ram?

Any problems when in windows? Have you tried a reinstall of the OS?

Posted

How do you KNOW its not the PSU ?

Just because someone else has the same powered PSU with that card, doesnt mean they are all the same.

Whats more likely ?

You bought 3 bad video cards, or there is something else ?

Why not go buy a GOOD, high powered PSU - and plug it in ? If you still have the problems, return it

Its the only way to be sure 100%

Posted

3 faulty GPUs? Seems highly unlikely.

not at all, it happened to me: 3 Palit Geforce 550TI DOA; had to talk with the reseller that i didn't want another card but a full refund so i grabbed that money and bougt an AMD; it has been working flawlessly.

Posted

Praetor, just because it happened to you doesnt make it un-unlikely

If it was more likely to happen (since you were saying it "isnt unlikely"),  Palit would be history.

Very rare

Posted

Geforce GTX 780 Ti: 600 watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 42 amps on the +12 volt rail.

Radeon R9 280X: 600W System Power Supply Requirement

You may have already damaged your 3rd Radeon R9 280X by not giving it enough power.

Yeah, that is not a thing. The card will draw the necessary power it needs and if the PSU can not provide it then the PSU will shut down. A card can not be damaged by under-powering it.

Besides the card has:

- OVP (Over Voltage Protection)

- UVP (Under Current Protection)
- SCP (Short Circuit Protection)
- OPP (Over Power Protection)
- OCP (Over Current Protection)

Posted

Its not the PSU theres bin lotsa 280x toxics with the same problem. 

Why create a topic and ask "Could it be the PSU" in the title, then when people suggest it might be, reject the claim. That seems counter productive of the whole point in asking the question, and a total waste of everyone's time on the forum.  :/

1 person likes this

Posted

"bin lotsa" ??  are you efffing kidding me ?  you saved time for 2 letter, and .....

Oh nvm - you wouldnt understand - lotsa people have an IQ at or below jell-o mold status

Posted

Yeah, that is not a thing. The card will draw the necessary power it needs and if the PSU can not provide it then the PSU will shut down. A card can not be damaged by under-powering it.

Besides the card has:

- OVP (Over Voltage Protection)

- UVP (Under Current Protection)
- SCP (Short Circuit Protection)
- OPP (Over Power Protection)
- OCP (Over Current Protection)

Cool never knew cards had all that :wacko: 

Posted

Cool never knew cards had all that :wacko:

My bad, I meant the PSU has those features.  :pinch:

Posted

My bad, I meant the PSU has those features.  :pinch:

In any case, did not know that either :laugh:

Posted

In any case, did not know that either :laugh:

Those are common features in most PSU's now a days. Back in the day you could risk losing your CPU, GPU, RAM and maybe even your HDD if you were unlucky, all in one fell swoop if you PSU died on you.

Posted

Why create a topic and ask "Could it be the PSU" in the title, then when people suggest it might be, reject the claim. That seems counter productive of the whole point in asking the question, and a total waste of everyone's time on the forum.  :/

ok it might be the PSU but my 280x MSI gaming edition works completely fine, ive took the toxic back and got a refund so it doesnt matter anymore.... why keep bashing on a dead topic? close it. Besides when i do go and get a really high powered vid card for SC next year im going to buy a brand new 850watt continuous power supply for when i xfire/sli in the future just incase