So i have this huge collection of DVD's, CD's that i going to rip, because I'm tired of cleaning the dust on them and to have them all easily accessible, in a digital way. I need plenty of storage for that and so i need a kind of NAS just for file system; i already do have an Android TV box so my idea was to stream the collection via wireless from the NAS into the TV Box.
I have lots of computer parts and so i mounted an old computer, powerful enough to run Nas4Free with several HDD's; problem is this thing sucks power (haven't tested, going to buy a power tester to know exactly how much juice it's drawing) and makes so much noise that it's not practical to let it run 24/7.
So i need ideas to have a (in order of importance):
- low power system that can run 24/7 without killing my electrical bill (i though about a Raspberry PI but AFAIK the performance for running USB disks AND Ethernet is crap; also an Atom board but i don't want to spend much...).
- low noise (it's a must!).
- can connect several SATA disks or, in worst case, USB ones.
- since this is going to be a media center repository, I'm going to store in there all the photos and other critical media; RAID is probable to be used but I'm going to make backups from this solution, no worries.
- must be small, if possible.
- i work with Lenovo-EMC, QNAP NAS everyday in my clients and i really don't want to buy one of those pre-made solutions; i prefer to build my own.