Microsoft Quietly Region-Lock "Xbox One Digital Games And DLC" ? Error Code 0x87de07d1

Microsoft Quietly Region-Lock "Xbox One Digital Games And DLC", Error Code 0x87de07d1 Reported

It seems like Microsoft has quietly made Xbox One digital games "Region-Lock", it was activated last month and the firm also deleted game licenses from gamertags. Now as a result of this new restriction, download keys bough abroad will no longer work, Xbox One players will receive error message along with this code: "0x87de07d1".

Many Xbox One are facing this error code as they try to redeem their digital game codes, here are few complaints of official Xbox forum:

"I am getting the error code 0x87de07d1 on my digital download copy of Forza 5. I have also seen in other posts that at least 2 other people have this error on Dead Rising 3. This is a digital copy of the game that has worked fine for several weeks. It is now acting as though I do not own the game. I have tried turning the system on/off, switching profiles etc but nothing is helping. In the xbox store Forza 5 is displaying the option to buy for ?49.99, where it would usually say Play, as I do own the game. I also have a digital copy of FIFA 14 which is working fine, and displays 'play' in the xbox store, this shows that I am definitely logged into my xbox live gold account. Originally, I only owned Forza 5 on disc, but later purchased the digital download version. However, I have only ever owned the digital version of FIFA 14, I have never owned a disc version of FIFA 14, so maybe this has something to do with why FIFA works fine but Forza doesn't."

Another user who contacted Microsoft support has this to say: "There's definitely a region lock on digital downloads in place, whether that be DLC or full games."

"I've got a UK account and bought a digital copy of Forza 5 on ebay, redeemed it and then about 10 days later it wouldn't load, just giving me the option to buy it again.

After over an hour with xbox live support, I was told "For the Xbox One, that is correct. Discs are region free, so it should be that the codes are the same. This is the reason why we are having it being investigated further my friend. It could be an issue somewhere along the way of redeeming the codes, and should be fixed surely, we can assure you of that." 

They passed me on to the 'Advocacy' team, who eventually told me "I was able to figure out that the reason you could not redeem your PPC was because it was intended for another country. When redeeming your token there are two things that need to match up. The country listed on the account must match the country that you are connecting from and the token needs to be for the same country as well."

The resulting advice being "I suggest going back to the person you purchased the game from and inform them that the code he provided you was set for a region other than the U.K."

I asked for clarification on region locking on digital game downloads and was advised "All Xbox digital content is region specific. Due to many international and cultural laws, not all content is available everywhere. "

When I pushed and asked how it was possible to redeem a code, only for it to be later disabled, I was unbelievably told "I can honestly say that it may have been a fluke"

... a FLUKE! what a joke. I'm now stuck trying to get a refund for a game code I've already redeemed.

So, the 0x87de07d1 error on purchased digital download game is due to region locking and the code being from a different region"

Are you guys facing this same issue mention above?, let us know in the comment section below.

Source: http://www.gamepur.com/news/13547-microsoft-quietly-region-lock-xbox-one-digital-games-and-dlc-error-code-0x8.html

It's a bit unclear what exactly is going on here, so don't take this as fact just yet. It looks like it might be Ebay scammers? However, anyone not in a supported XB1 region maybe should hold off purchasing anything to avoid potential upset.

I'm pretty sure we discussed this back when MS announced the news they were switching to region free. If you read between the lines that is:

"When the console launches this November, we will support Xbox One in 13 markets," it reads. "Xbox One may be used in all countries, including the non-launched markets. In addition, Xbox One games are not region locked. Any Xbox One game purchased at retail can be used in any country on any Xbox One.

http://www.totalxbox.com/60541/xbox-one-games-arent-region-locked-microsoft-confirms-so-why-wait-till-2014/

Hopefully they change it but I wouldn't count on it.

That is a confusing issue.

We already knew that if you imported an X1 to a region that it was not sold in yet, you had to use money from the region you imported it from in order to purchase content/use xbl. That meant you had to buy a cash card from the same region you bought the console from.

It sounds like someone has sold dlc codes without telling people where they originated from. If these are codes that someone already bought, then that means they are already tied to a region. They would only work in the region they were sold in.

Doesn't this also happen with steam, which is why you should be careful because they also have region specific packages. I was looking at the ubisoft sale for AC4 yesterday, the EU had one type of package and the NA had another. People who were gifted a NA package couldn't access/didn't get any of the NA specific content and so on.

When talking about something like that it's best to check.  I think the problem lies in the fact the codes worked for people at first but now don't, so it's either a error or they finally fixed some security related loophole.

Doesn't this also happen with steam, which is why you should be careful because they also have region specific packages. I was looking at the ubisoft sale for AC4 yesterday, the EU had one type of package and the NA had another. People who were gifted a NA package couldn't access/didn't get any of the NA specific content and so on.

When talking about something like that it's best to check.  I think the problem lies in the fact the codes worked for people at first but now don't, so it's either a error or they finally fixed some security related loophole.

Yeah Steam uses region locking. They've recently added region locking to gifts which has retroactively effected inventories too.

I think Sony are the only one still allowing region free but there are rules for it work properly. e.g if you buy a US game you need to buy the DLC from the US PSN store.

This has been known since the start.

I think so too, but the Q is why wasn't it enforced from the start? They really should have just been clear about the differences between retail and digital. They only spoke about retail.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Someone gone goofed

This has been known since the start.

Firstly, you can forgive people for not knowing every detail about the policies, especially when they are not advertised on the box or on the website. Secondly, this article is about a material change to digital purchases that is impacting paying customers. Thirdly, being given a random error code does not help users to understand what the issue is.

Therefore this is certainly newsworthy.

• Like 3

I think Sony are the only one still allowing region free but there are rules for it work properly. e.g if you buy a US game you need to buy the DLC from the US PSN store.

So the difference here is that instead of the user needing to buy the dlc from the same region they bought the game from, its the same region the console was bought from?

Although in both cases, thats not really being region free. Locking the dlc to the same region as your console or your game is the same as being region locked.

Firstly, you can forgive people for not knowing every detail about the policies, especially when they are not advertised on the box or on the website. Secondly, this article is about a material change to digital purchases that is impacting paying customers. Thirdly, being given a random error code does not help users to understand what the issue is.

Therefore this is certainly newsworthy.

Firstly, MS did post up this info about anyone wanting to import from another region.

Secondly, anyone that was able to activate dlc and then got this message should definitely contact MS. If MS says that it was an error on them that the dlc activated in the first place and that issue was corrected, resulting in existing users getting this error, then the users should be contacting whoever sold them the dlc in the first place.

Now what could happen here is that MS just has to issue these users new dlc codes that will work with the region where their console was bought, but it really should be up to the reseller to settle the issue in the first place.

This wouldnt have been an issue if the code didnt work when first entered.  The problem here is that people were able to use a code, play the game and then have it disabled.  Is MS going to allow the code to be used again in the correct region? If not.. anyone who bought a code from out of the region is screwed out of $$

So the difference here is that instead of the user needing to buy the dlc from the same region they bought the game from, its the same region the console was bought from?

Although in both cases, thats not really being region free. Locking the dlc to the same region as your console or your game is the same as being region locked.

I'm not sure. Right now these reports are about digital games not the DLC. I imagine if you buy DLC from a foreign region it won't work with your domestic region of the game, (if you can even buy it at all). Microsoft need to get this cleared up ASAP and some explanation how it works. Far too confusing. Either make it all region free or don't do it at all.

On PS3/4 you can't mix and match, but they don't care where you buy.

Firstly, MS did post up this info about anyone wanting to import from another region.

Secondly, anyone that was able to activate dlc and then got this message should definitely contact MS. If MS says that it was an error on them that the dlc activated in the first place and that issue was corrected, resulting in existing users getting this error, then the users should be contacting whoever sold them the dlc in the first place.

Now what could happen here is that MS just has to issue these users new dlc codes that will work with the region where their console was bought, but it really should be up to the reseller to settle the issue in the first place.

Only when it concerned retail copies. They haven't said anything about digital.

Only when it concerned retail copies. They haven't said anything about digital.

That's not true, they specifically covered content bought via XBL.

That's why they said that you must use currency from the same region that you bought the console in order to purchase/use content.

Albert Penello was the first to spell that part out in a NeoGaf thread a while back. Here is part of his quote:

"You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family," he continued before slyly adding "Now, of course, if you were using Pre-Paid cards..."

He also mentioned that some music and video services are geolocation locked, so they would be inaccessible regardless.

Now, that does not change the fact that these people were sold digital codes that apparently were not from the same region as the console they bought. Becuase of a bug, the codes were still accepted when the user used it. MS at some point discovered the bug and fixed it. It sounds like that the next time these users logged in, there was a check made against the digital titles and if they were tied to another region, access was blocked.

So its MS' screwup that the codes were accepted at all, but its the reseller's fault for not informing these users. Like I said, either MS or the reseller will have to make it right. MS may just issue them proper codes or the reseller may have to issue a refund.

That's not true, they specifically covered content bought via XBL.

That's why they said that you must use currency from the same region that you bought the console in order to purchase/use content.

Albert Penello was the first to spell that part out in a NeoGaf thread a while back. Here is part of his quote:

"You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family," he continued before slyly adding "Now, of course, if you were using Pre-Paid cards..."

He also mentioned that some music and video services are geolocation locked, so they would be inaccessible regardless.

Now, that does not change the fact that these people were sold digital codes that apparently were not from the same region as the console they bought. Becuase of a bug, the codes were still accepted when the user used it. MS at some point discovered the bug and fixed it. It sounds like that the next time these users logged in, there was a check made against the digital titles and if they were tied to another region, access was blocked.

So its MS' screwup that the codes were accepted at all, but its the reseller's fault for not informing these users. Like I said, either MS or the reseller will have to make it right. MS may just issue them proper codes or the reseller may have to issue a refund.

None of the reported issues appear to be involving XBL. If you buy directly from XBL it works, but if you enter keys you bought elsewhere, say eBay/Gamestop, it throws up errors. Regardless, announcing things via Neogaf is not suitable. It needs to be in their own help/support documents.

Nothing has changed when it involves XBL as people in South America and Europe were sometimes using regions other than where they lived, as XBL doesn't even exist in places still. Those people still use foreign marketplace.

If people bought from eBay they're probably SOL.

None of the reported issues appear to be involving XBL. If you buy directly from XBL it works, but if you enter keys you bought elsewhere, say eBay/Gamestop, it throws up errors. Regardless, announcing things via Neogaf is not suitable. It needs to be in their own help/support documents.

Nothing has changed when it involves XBL as people in South America and Europe were sometimes using regions other than where they lived, as XBL doesn't even exist in places still. Those people still use foreign marketplace.

If people bought from eBay they're probably SOL.

Then that means that these people need to go back to those that sold the games and demand a refund since they were not informed of the region issues.

If it has nothing to do with XBL, then MS' problem was allowing the codes to work at all. If they had been blocked immediately, then the users would know to go back to the seller.

You are right that MS should have these details spelled out in their support section, although lets be honest here, that would not have prevented this situation (plus, since it was a neogaf thread, I thought it would be rather known around here). Those users did not seek out any info before hand. I suppose MS would rather no one imported due to the possible headaches, but those it will happen anyway, so they will need to address it to protect users that are not informed by resellers.

The news site that posted this could really do with some proper clarity on there story instead of worrying people with false news for views.

What is true:

If you redeem a prepaid code from one region in another, Microsoft system's doesn't reject it and sadly causes an error down the line. This bug needs fixing where it will either accept it and give you the game or just flat out reject it.

What wrong:

Region Locks HAVE NOT been put on Digital Games.

Digital locks DO NOT exist, you can buy tons of content from any region.

If you got a Pre-Paid Money Voucher or Game Code from a US retailer, you can redeem it on the US store with no problem. Likewise if you got it from say Germany, you can.

You can switch stores with a simple change of a setting in the Dashboard System Settings, and have purchases from multiple regions at the same time.

A full break down of regional locks on Xbox One, Xbox 360, Playstation and Steam/Origin here:

Purchase / Bypass Regional Lockouts on Xbox, Playstation, Steam & Origin

:)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Why did i miss this thread? OK, time for some clarity.

Xbox One FOR NOW works exactly as Albert Panello said and as this page clearly states:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/locale-faq

If I purchase a game in one country/region, can I play it in another country/region?

Yes. There are no playback restriction on games purchased and downloaded.

For example, if you purchased and downloaded Ryse in France and then move to Germany with your console, you can still play the game that you downloaded. However, you would not be able to re-download the game you purchased, as it would not be available for you to download in the German marketplace.

Disc games = no restrictions. Digital content and codes = must be from the region of your console, not the region of your XBL account. On X1 those two are separate. I am saying this from personal experience. Am from the US, but live in Asia Pacific (i.e outside the US). X1 is from US. No problem downloading content using US credit card or US pre-paid codes. Content works fine, no problems.  

FOR NOW.

It does seem lately there have been some issues...for example that $50 code i bought in the US that refuses to post on my account balance. It seems this has to do with the overall billing system glitch MS had last week, as i entered this code EXACTLY when the server outage was going on. However, the fact that for almost a week it has not updated on my account may indicate a certain...change is in the air (the paranoid in me immediately thought of that).

Also had a problem with another code recently, which was not bought in the US but rather online from a very prominent retailer...X1 told me the code was already used. Retailer admitted that they f'd up and supplied another code. So, many of these issues could be down to people buying codes from retailers who used to be reputable, but now that there's millions of people suddenly clamoring for codes due to a lively import scene are simply overworked and keep making mistakes. They may label a code US region but it's actually EU region so it doesn't work for an X1 user in the US or an X1 user anywhere in the world with their system set to US region.

BIG CAVEAT

Would not put it passed MS to stealth reanimate all of those region locks and digital fencing they were talking about. It would not surprise me one bit, to be honest. Content providers and sellers seem to love the control locking gives them, and there's so many of us gamers that if they lose 10% of us due to annoying us with region locking - it's fine, no big loss.

Keep in mind ALL services are now locked to some extent. Steam locks per game: some games in my library don't work when i'm in the US, some don't work when i'm in Asia. Almost all work everywhere. PSN has always been 100% region locked for digital content. Once you choose your account region, all content must be bought from the store of that region and be digitally tied to that region. With PS3 even multiplayer was region locked, so when i was in Asia i could not do any MP because my games were all US. PS4 does not have this issue.

Overall i think things are getting better and most of these issues and the ensuing panic is due to either people not understanding how the systems work, retailers innocently selling mislabeled codes, or simple glitches in overworked servers (as happened to me with my vaunted $50 code). Time will tell, i do believe MS and Sony are trying to make things global though - i think XBL Gold subs are now worldwide. NOT THE CODES, your sub. So if you're Gold in the US, you're Gold everywhere. Before you had to literally buy new subs for each region you wanted to have an account in. The subscription codes are still region locked.

Hope this helps, and hope things don't go all region-fenced on us again...that would suck, mostly for the companies involved, as i believe their math of "we have reserves, we can absorb the loss" is misguided and not true.

• 4 months later...

so i want diablo 3, for xbox one but not keen on the price. will using online cd keys stop me?

Providing it is a code from your region it will be fine,

I use cdkeys.com and they work just fine, but they don't have a great selection. I'm open to suggestions for reliable alternatives