Bible stops two bullets to save driver's life

DAYTON ? An RTA bus driver is recovering today after he was shot and stabbed in a seemingly random attack on Monday morning.

Rickey Wagoner, 49, of Trotwood, was assaulted by three men in the 1900 block of Lakeview Avenue, while standing outside of his bus.

"His bus had stopped running and he got out to see what the problem was," Sgt. Michael Pauley of the Dayton Police Department said at the scene. A 911 call came in at 5:20 a.m. alerting police to the shooting.

"I've been hit in the leg," Wagoner told an emergency dispatcher. "My chest feels like I've been hit with a sledgehammer."

Three shots were fired at Wagoner ? one struck him in the right leg and two were fired into his chest. Police said those bullets were stopped by some sort of "intervention."

"The two bullets were stopped by the New Testament book in his (shirt) pocket,"Pauley said. Police later referred to the book as a religious devotional titled "The Message," which is a modern translation of the Bible.

"There was obviously some kind of intervention involved in this incident, because he probably should not be here," Pauley said.

The victim's friends and family were inclined to agree with that assessment.

"God's on Rick's side," Lillie Brown, of Dayton, said in an interview.

"Amazingly, his injuries are not life threatening," Pauley said of Wagoner's condition. "He basically said he fought for his life."

more

Police later referred to the book as a religious devotional titled "The Message," which is a modern translation of the Bible.

more

Wrong, The Message translation is a literal translation (verses word for word) not a more "modern translation".

being that if it was "an act of god", wouldn't the bullet not been fired in the first place?

Mysterious ways, brother, mysterious ways.

being that if it was "an act of god", wouldn't the bullet not been fired in the first place?

He was testing the durability of his books.