• Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 26 February 2014 - 15:47

Hello,

Sublime Text 2 without a doubt...

#17 wrack

wrack

Wireless Robotic Android Calibrated for Killing

Posted 02 March 2014 - 23:05

I was going to say Visual Studio Express but then I see you mentioned PHP. Visual Studio can be used for PHP with extensions but I am not sure if Express can support them.

#18 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:04

Sublime 2 / 3, it's also cross platform which is really nice.

#19 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 March 2014 - 16:28

Sublime

#20 sbauer

sbauer

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 03 March 2014 - 16:36

Sublime 2 / 3, it's also cross platform which is really nice.

I wouldn't spend any money on it unless you're satisfied with v2 as is and are OK with possibly not getting another update. It has been months since there was any update on V3. The beta was announced June and the last build was posted in mid December. People on the forum are wondering if the application is dead.

GitHub is working on their own editor (https://atom.io/). That should be something to watch.

#21 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 03 March 2014 - 16:58

I wouldn't spend any money on it unless you're satisfied with v2 as is and are OK with possibly not getting another update. It has been months since there was any update on V3. The beta was announced June and the last build was posted in mid December. People on the forum are wondering if the application is dead.

GitHub is working on their own editor (https://atom.io/). That should be something to watch.

TextMate suffered from the same thing, and really what _is_ wrong with Sublime 2?

#22 vetSkyyPunk

SkyyPunk

-- Violated on 1st Post --

Posted 03 March 2014 - 17:02

Another vote for PHPStorm or WebStorm (I think WebStorm contains PHPStorm functionality, unless I have it backwards). JetBrains makes great tools!

#23 sbauer

sbauer

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 03 March 2014 - 18:17

TextMate suffered from the same thing, and really what _is_ wrong with Sublime 2?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. Just said don't pay for it unless you're OK with possibly not getting updates, which is quite true. I also think it was important to let the OP know that the developer hasn't said anything in months. I'd hate to spend $70 on a product that came recommended only to realize that it's not going to be updated anymore.

I have a problem with paying for something and then having the developer/company disappearing without saying a word. Seems to be quite common for text editors. (e text editor, sublime? Intype, textmate at one point).

#24 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 03 March 2014 - 18:28

I was under the impression that there are a number of issues with Sublime 2 or so I've heard others who use it tell me (one moved to vim eventually). I tested it briefly about 6 months ago and it wouldn't split-view correctly in Windows for me. There's an unofficial bug tracker: https://github.com/S...ge=1&state=open

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. Just said don't pay for it unless you're OK with possibly not getting updates, which is quite true. I also think it was important to let the OP know that the developer hasn't said anything in months. I'd hate to spend $70 on a product that came recommended only to realize that it's not going to be updated anymore.

I have a problem with paying for something and then having the developer/company disappearing without saying a word. Seems to be quite common for text editors. (e text editor, sublime? Intype, textmate at one point).

Those are the exact sentiments I heard when testing it. I was wary of switching to it for those reasons. Especially version 2 since the developer had evidently mostly abandoned updates for that and left known issues in place (at least that's what I was told, I never used it long enough to find said issues other than the one I mention above).

#25 EmbraceNext

EmbraceNext

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 March 2014 - 19:22

Another vote for PHPStorm or WebStorm (I think WebStorm contains PHPStorm functionality, unless I have it backwards). JetBrains makes great tools!

NOTE: PhpStorm includes all the functionality of WebStorm (HTML/CSS Editor, JavaScript Editor) and adds full-fledged support for PHP and Databases/SQL.

http://www.jetbrains.com/phpstorm/

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!