Photo

Cooking meat 'may be dementia risk'

mount sinai age products beta amyloid protein alzheimers cognitive decline diabetes

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,244 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 14:06

Browning meat in the oven, grill or frying pan produces chemicals which may increase the risk of developing dementia, US researchers suggest.

Advanced glycation end (AGE) products have been linked to diseases such as type-2 diabetes.

Mice fed a high-AGEs diet had a build-up of dangerous proteins in the brain and impaired cognitive function.

Experts said the results were "compelling" but did not provide "definitive answers".

AGEs are formed when proteins or fats react with sugar. This can happen naturally and during the cooking process.

Researchers at the Icahn school of medicine at Mount Sinai, in New York, tested the effect of AGEs on mice and people.

The animal experiments, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, showed that a diet rich in AGEs affects the chemistry of the brain.

It leads to a build-up of defective beta amyloid protein - a hallmark of Alzheimer's disease. The mice eating a low-AGEs diet were able to prevent the production of damaged amyloid.

The mice performed less well in physical and thinking tasks after their AGEs-rich diet.

A short-term analysis of people over 60 suggested a link between high levels of AGEs in the blood and cognitive decline.

"This paper adds to the body of evidence suggesting that using preventative strategies might reduce the prevalence of Alzheimer's disease and other dementias in society and that could have very positive impact on us all."

more

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,767 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 14:12

Well I guess I'll go mad then, because there is no way I'm giving up meat.

#3 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,198 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 25 February 2014 - 14:19

You can take my meat from my cold, dead, fingers.

This is just another scare story. Everything causes cancer, and everything causes Dementia. Pick your poison.

#4 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,615 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 14:28

And I just read that Tylenol may have a strong link to causing ADHD in pregnant mothers' children after years of being assured it's safe. Just live your damn life. It's the only thing you can really control.

#5 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,283 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 14:34

I'll take my chances.  

I've always found it humorous that they do all these tests on mice and then assume it will have the exact same effects on humans.

Humans have eaten meat forever, so who's to say we haven't evolved such that we can tolerate it.  It certainly worked that way with lactose.

#6 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,459 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 25 February 2014 - 14:38

And I just read that Tylenol may have a strong link to causing ADHD in pregnant mothers' children after years of being assured it's safe. Just live your damn life. It's the only thing you can really control.

Exactly.

You can make your life as "perfect" from these perspectives and be super healthy. You'll still die. So you might as well just live your life accepting the fact that death will claim you at some point. Just enjoy your time here. Would be pretty sad missing out on chunks of the good stuff because it may kill you...

#7 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• 1,841 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 14:39

I'll take my chances.  

I've always found it humorous that they do all these tests on mice and then assume it will have the exact same effects on humans.

Humans have eaten meat forever, so who's to say we haven't evolved such that we can tolerate it.  It certainly worked that way with lactose.

Because if it only shows up later in life, after child bearing age, it has very little effect on genetic fitness, and therefore is unlikely to be a protection that can be 'evolved'.

#8 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,054 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 25 February 2014 - 14:45

I'll take my chances.  

I agree.  The biggest problem is that they don't look at evolution, and they base it on animals that have remained the same for longer than humans have been around.

While I do agree that Humans didn't eat meat near the quantity eaten today (back then during there winter there was little to no meat, and even during the summer a deer or fish, hell rabbits would have been tough to get).  I also think that we have evolved in such a way the body can handle it, and can discard most toxins (via the liver, bowels, intestines, etc).  While yes, we could drop meat, lactose (milk products), etc.. the body isn't able to get the nutrients it needs from a diet of pure vegetables, and we would be forced to take artificial nutrients to make up for it.. which can be way worse than eating a steak once a week.

#9 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,244 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 14:52

On the other hand, meats are supposed to have proteins the brain needs.

#10 ramesees

ramesees

Neowinian Senior

• 2,564 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 15:01

Pick your poison.

12oz Ribeye Medium Rare ... :D

#11 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,057 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 15:10

Fine, I'll just take my steak, tartare!

#12 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,663 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 15:32

I prefer mine bloody anyhow. Also eat tatare and sushi.

#13 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,283 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 25 February 2014 - 15:37

A life without meat or an old age without memories? /grabs steak

It certainly worked that way with lactose.

Speak for yourself man :(

#14 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,490 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 15:37

Never heard of a mad cave-man or cave-woman.

Haven't eaten meat for 25 years++++ and I am as mad as a lorry. :woot:

#15 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,057 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 15:50

Never heard of a mad cave-man or cave-woman.

Haven't eaten meat for 25 years++++ and I am as mad as a lorry. :woot:

That explains sooooo much! :p