Xbox One Named a 2014

poy2014_header1.png

The votes are in and Xbox One has been chosen as a winner of the 2014 ?Product of the Year? award in the home entertainment category!

?Product of the Year? is the world?s largest consumer-voted award for product innovation and we?re excited that Xbox One was recognized as the all-in-one entertainment system that gives you instant access to TV, games, music, movies, sports and apps.

Albert Penello, director of product planning at Microsoft, had a chance to speak with Parade magazine about the win and how launching a new iteration of Xbox meant rethinking the device entirely to create a multipurpose entertainment hub for the whole family. You can check out the full cover story, which was distributed nationwide yesterday, here.

More than 45,000 people were surveyed by TNS and we?re thrilled to be among top consumer packaged goods products receiving this honor. For a full list of the other winners, click here to view the AdWeek exclusive.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/xbox-one-product-of-the-year

Great news for the Xbox One. Parade is huge exposure for 60+ million people in the US.

This always annoys me. How can you name a product "product of the year" when you're only in the second month of said year? It makes the award meaningless for me, even if the product is a good product.

This always annoys me. How can you name a product "product of the year" when you're only in the second month of said year? It makes the award meaningless for me, even if the product is a good product.

This.

I mean, it's good and all for the xbone, though I am confused as to how they pick the product.  Are they based on sales data? Obviously not.   I want to know where the poll was conducted.  

• Like 2

This.

I mean, it's good and all for the xbone, though I am confused as to how they pick the product.  Are they based on sales data? Obviously not.   I want to know where the poll was conducted.  

Their polls and research are explained at Parades site and in their memberships. It's completely public.

Before anyone gets the firepoker aimed at me, this is for Parade, how can you do product of the year awards in February? Any other "of the year" awards I read about, lets say Game of The Year, come in Q4, or even January of the following year.

This reads more like products we recommend of the year so far. I know it's done by votes, but people are voting for the year when some of the contenders they could've chosen aren't even out yet. They should find a better title for the award, it's a little misleading going by common understanding of what a an award of the year typically means.

Before I re-read the topic title I thought it was for 2013, I was like that's fine, until it was bumped on mini-spy again.

This.

Don't worry, awards like this don't matter and they won't hurt the ps4.

Besides, the ps4 has won similar awards.

• Like 2

Don't worry, awards like this don't matter and they won't hurt the ps4.

Besides, the ps4 has won similar awards.

Not worried, and wasn't just comparing to the PS4.  But I would assume other products (not even necessarily game related) would have been considered.  ie) iPhone 5s, or Samsungs Galaxy S4.  Hell even tablets.   I dunno as others mentioned it is premature to announce a product of the year when the year is only 2 months in.   

First post nails it. "of the year" award in February. /boggle

At the risk of starting a war, I also can't understand how the Xbone won "best product" either. It's overpriced, lacks games, and lacks media functionality. The 360 is better in every category at the moment and it's cheaper. What was the criteria for this award?

Money

Not worried, and wasn't just comparing to the PS4.  But I would assume other products (not even necessarily game related) would have been considered.  ie) iPhone 5s, or Samsungs Galaxy S4.  Hell even tablets.   I dunno as others mentioned it is premature to announce a product of the year when the year is only 2 months in.

Yeah, its bizzare all right.

First post nails it. "of the year" award in February. /boggle

At the risk of starting a war, I also can't understand how the Xbone won "best product" either. It's overpriced, lacks games, and lacks media functionality. The 360 is better in every category at the moment and it's cheaper. What was the criteria for this award?

Not sure, as you said, the X1 doesn't deserve it.

Before anyone gets the firepoker aimed at me, this is for Parade, how can you do product of the year awards in February? Any other "of the year" awards I read about, lets say Game of The Year, come in Q4, or even January of the following year.

This reads more like products we recommend of the year so far. I know it's done by votes, but people are voting for the year when some of the contenders they could've chosen aren't even out yet. They should find a better title for the award, it's a little misleading going by common understanding of what a an award of the year typically means.

Before I re-read the topic title I thought it was for 2013, I was like that's fine, until it was bumped on mini-spy again.

They do it this time of year, every year. You may want to consult with Parade magazine.

I am sure it will be spun to be a bad thing (as it already has). For gamers, this is great news. The more recognition and promotion of the Xbox One, the better.

It reminds of last year when the PS4 got console of the year from some magazine or website.

How can it be console of the year when it was barely out a month :laugh:

So many awards nowadays they're a bit pointless. I think any company could find an award they won to put on a product.

POY has actually been around for close to three decades now, though it?s only had a U.S. presence for six years. Winners are chosen via survey performed by market research firm TNS, and this year some 40,000 consumers weighed in with their favorite brands. POY CEO Mike Nolan said that the survey acts as ?an advocate? to help consumers choose brands of ?truly superior innovation.? No doubt he?s right, but any brand that?s top-of-mind enough to get named in a consumer survey deserves a free dinner. The below brands will get it, too, at tonight's fete at the Edison in New York.

Glad to see this award was picked by the consumers and not the magazine. Great news for sure.

They do it this time of year, every year. You may want to consult with Parade magazine.

I am sure it will be spun to be a bad thing (as it already has). For gamers, this is great news. The more recognition and promotion of the Xbox One, the better.

Trust me, I'm not going to waste my time consulting with anyone. Just sharing my thoughts on the idea of a "of the year" award happening in February.

Trust me, I'm not going to waste my time consulting with anyone. Just sharing my thoughts on the idea of a "of the year" award happening in February.

Looks like we both are doing the same then. It's all good in the hood.

This.

Just like how PS4 was declared console of the 2013 when it was out for less than a month? You both apparently did not have problem with that.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1193011-console-of-the-year-ps4-wins-trustedreview/

It's kind of funny. I had brought up the game console argument a few times in the ps4 vs XBone threads. Every single time I was shot down, with others saying that it's not about being a game console, it's not just gamers that care, etc. However one of the points is the fact it's got a focus as a game console.

AC4 frame rate is actually locked at 30FPS, where as the One at 900p dips.

Anyway, what's the point in arguing about this so early? Even if you hate the PS4 it was pretty obvious it would win most awards launched this early on. The internet has been more pro-PS4 since E3, and on a consumer front hype and ?100 cheaper does the trick for Christmas.

So I guess my question for the diehard One fans, does this topic/result genuinely surprise you? You really thought after the last 6 months we've had in gaming the One was going to be getting the majority of the vote at this point in the console race?

The same way unreleased consoles 'win' E3. We should all know from the past winners are declared every other month. I mean there's still a chance the PS3 will outsell the 360 come the day they are off the shelves, but as far as things sit right now the 360 has won.

Every other month there's a new flavour to be drinkin :p

FTR: I don't care about these awards but comparing these two threads was entertaining.

Just like how PS4 was declared console of the 2013 when it was out for less than a month? You both apparently did not have problem with that.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1193011-console-of-the-year-ps4-wins-trustedreview/

FTR: I don't care about these awards but comparing these two threads was entertaining.

It was between the XB1 and PS4 only, not a whole selection of products. Plus its not about how long the console is out, but the whole year playing out.

A game that wins GOTY can come out in December, why not? of the Year awards are based on reviews/popularity, not sales or length of time.

There is a difference between "Console of 2013" (at the end of 2013) and "Product of 2014" (at the beginning of 2014).  Consoles came down to Wii U, PS4, and XBone.  3 products, and PS4 took it for 2013.. all 3 were out and the year was over.  The other is saying out of every product released (not just gaming).. for the entire year of 2014 (of which we are only 2 months into) the Xbone is the best.  This isn't a 1:1 comparison.

There is a difference between "Console of 2013" (at the end of 2013) and "Product of 2014" (at the beginning of 2014).  

I am not seeing the difference. One console was deemed a winner of a product for the year in less than a month, and another product was deemed the product of the year in less than a month.

Sounds about right. And let us not forget, it was the consumers that decided these awards, not the companies.

I don't see anyone you mentioned supporting either of the awards or topics. In fact AB even goes so far to say that the kool aid changes every month which is arguably what happened here.

Both topics and awards are jokes, but hey, more fuel for the fire and all.

I am not seeing the difference. One console was deemed a winner of a product for the year in less than a month, and another product was deemed the product of the year in less than a month.

Sounds about right. And let us not forget, it was the consumers that decided these awards, not the companies.

The difference is that it was saying that at the end of 2013 the winner was PS4.  However, this is saying that for the rest of this year.. the BEST product (including tv's, computers, etc) is the XBone.  I think it comes down to.. how can a product be deemed the best of the year when the year has only just begun.