Xbox One turning TV on/off without context

Last week, I setup my Xbox One to power my TV. However, I noticed that my Xbox One sends a signal to my TV without proper context to my TV's state. For example, my wife turned off the TV, but left the Xbox One on. The Xbox One eventually turned itself off, but it turned the TV on. Shouldn't it be able to tell my TV to turn off rather than telling it to do the opposite of it's current power state like a toggle? It can control the volume without a problem, and under ideal conditions, turns the TV on or off in conjunction with itself. But surely if my TV can be controlled by the Xbox One, it could provide specific on/off signals matching the state of itself, right? Or am I making some assumptions on what my TV or Xbox One can do?

All it is doing is sending the IR codes via the Kinect IR sensor.  Chances are your TV doesn't have a specific ON code vs OFF code, or the code Microsoft uses is a generic set that has a combination code.

All it is doing is sending the IR codes via the Kinect IR sensor.  Chances are your TV doesn't have a specific ON code vs OFF code, or the code Microsoft uses is a generic set that has a combination code.

I see. Bummer that one :(

Like Slasher mentioned, almost every TV has a "power" code, not an "on" and "off" code.  If the TV is off, it'll turn it on and vice-versa.  Since you set the Xbox to control the TV the last thing the Xbox "knew" was that it turned your TV on.  IF someone shuts it off then the Xbox will send a "power" signal to the TV when it wants to turn the TV off and ends up turning it on.

Edit: Spent too long typing :)  Just make sure to tell anyone to turn the Xbox on or off instead of the TV.

The on/off code for TVs are the same, so if you have set the X1 to turn off the TV but the TV is already in standby then it will obviously turn the TV back on when the X1 is turned off.

I disabled this feature as it annoyed the hell out of me.

Edit I also spent to long typing!