HDD question

So in the old computer I had upgraded from isn't being used there is a decent size hard drive.  

Is it possible for me to plug it into my new computer, it's Sata like the current one, (so I'd just use it's data and power cable from the old PC and plug it into the new one.)

Is it possible to use that drive first without formatting it? I'd like to plug it in turn on this PC and copy what I want off of it, then format it?  Or would it mess up since it's a complete system installed on it?

Mount the old drive in a USB plug, SATA, external case.

http://www.amazon.com/2-5-Inch-External-Enclosure-Tool-free-Installation/dp/B005B5G4S6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1365902610&sr=8-9&keywords=usb+3+hard+drive+case

You may have to 'take Permissions', since it is a different Install of Windows.

Thanks,

if I didn't want to spend money, would it be easier to borrow an external drive, turn on the old PC, copy the stuff, then put it into the new PC that way and format it?

As long as the other drive is set to boot first there will be no issues and the drive will show up as additional storage with all files intact

So just plug it in and go, since the old drive should be lower on the list, correct? It shouldn't cause any issues?

Thanks,

if I didn't want to spend money, would it be easier to borrow an external drive, turn on the old PC, copy the stuff, then put it into the new PC that way and format it?

There are some very inexpensive ext. cases, and it is a very useful tool to have, when things go wrong:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-External-Aluminum-Enclosure/dp/B00E362W9O/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1393420013&sr=1-4&keywords=sata+external+hard+drive+case

After you copy off personal files, you could then wipe the drive and mount it internally, and use it for Data storage or Back-ups.

How do you take ownership of it?

I can plug up to 5 more drives in, so I think it should be ok.

as long as it is not corrupt yes you can....pull the drive out of old pc....install old drive in new pc just like one that in there now ...power on and immediately get in the bios and set the old drive to boot last in the boot order menu

your boot menu should look something like this

1     new drive

2     old  drive

3     cd/dvd drive

save and reboot and windows should find the drive and you should be able to do anything you want with it.

as long as it is not corrupt yes you can....pull the drive out of old pc....install old drive in new pc just like one that in there now ...power on and immediately get in the bios and set the old drive to boot last in the boot order menu

1     new drive

2     old  drive

3     cd/dvd drive

save and reboot and windows should find the drive and you should be able to do anything you want with it.

Thanks I will do this later today! 

How do you take ownership of it?

Right click the drive in "Computer", "properties", "security" tab, "advanced" button, "owner" tab, "edit" button, select who you want to change the owner to and check off the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", click the "OK" button.

You dont even need an external case if its a temporary solution there are USB connectors available for most drives and in many configurations

5a760663bce9df42aea95aa707fa4653.png6c0bd814f24ed50b11b5fc96b45be605.pngd9654e4b35fc15e662cfbd899f1c618c.png

The one issue you may have is if you have encrypted drives or files as the keys will be on the older drive

You dont even need an external case if its a temporary solution there are USB connectors available for most drives and in many configurations

5a760663bce9df42aea95aa707fa4653.png6c0bd814f24ed50b11b5fc96b45be605.pngd9654e4b35fc15e662cfbd899f1c618c.png

The one issue you may have is if you have encrypted drives or files as the keys will be on the older drive

Thanks, this will be a permanent move.

It's in but didn't work.

1. I guess my PC has like an auto loader for the HD or whatever you want to call it.  The area that holds the HD does NOT come out of the case. The HD's slide into it and "lock" into place.  The one I am trying to put in slides in but doesn't lock but it is snug.   I also can't put any screws in it.   If I let it this way, will it cause issues later?

2. My serial ATA cable is too short. It's like 6 inches, but it need to be like 2 inches longer. So I guess I'll order one. 

The way it came from the factor SATA 0 is the hard drive currently and SATA 2 is the optical.  Will I be ok to put the new one in any of the open ones?

You could prob just change the rails that are on the drive so it fits correctly.. You say slide so I assume there are some rails - different makers use slightly different rails.  But any 3.5 each will fit - you just need to use the specific makers right rails to fit into their cage.  Many even come with a spare set for the second bay - look around the case for some.

Your other option to getting your files once you get it connected is just to boot any linux liveCD and copy the files off you need to other system drive.  Then remove all the partitions on it.  And then boot windows and format that way.  This way you would not have to take ownership of anything, would not have to worry about partitions being marked active, etc.

Yet another option - does this older computer no longer boot?  Just boot it up and copy any files you want to keep over the network to your machine.  Then boot that old machine with linux or windows media and wipe it.  This way you would not have to worry about any possible encryption that might have been set on the files on the original machine, ownership, etc. etc.

And no worries on what disk boots when you put in your other pc since it will just be empty disk when you connect it with no partitions on it, etc.

There are always more than 1 way to skin a cat ;)

1     new drive

2     old  drive

3     cd/dvd drive

The most I would do is ensure AHCI is enabled in the BIOS. You can attach the SATA drive without first powering the computer off...

You could prob just change the rails that are on the drive so it fits correctly.. You say slide so I assume there are some rails - different makers use slightly different rails. But any 3.5 each will fit - you just need to use the specific makers right rails to fit into their cage. Many even come with a spare set for the second bay - look around the case for some.

Your other option to getting your files once you get it connected is just to boot any linux liveCD and copy the files off you need to other system drive. Then remove all the partitions on it. And then boot windows and format that way. This way you would not have to take ownership of anything, would not have to worry about partitions being marked active, etc.

Yet another option - does this older computer no longer boot? Just boot it up and copy any files you want to keep over the network to your machine. Then boot that old machine with linux or windows media and wipe it. This way you would not have to worry about any possible encryption that might have been set on the files on the original machine, ownership, etc. etc.

And no worries on what disk boots when you put in your other pc since it will just be empty disk when you connect it with no partitions on it, etc.

There are always more than 1 way to skin a cat ;)

Thanks. I don't see anything that I can change to make it fit and lock. If it's snug would that damage anything? You have to put a few pounds of pressure to move it.

Also the other PC does boot. I just want whatever I missed. I did use a cat cable but it took forever to move stuff. I want the other drive in this PC. Copy it direct then format it.

How far are you away from the Easton Area? I could swing by and get this done for you during a trip out there.

I just picked up a new Sata cable so once I get back today it should be done finally. Hopefully.

Thanks for the offer. And about 2.5 hours maybe with traffic.

2.5 hrs would be more than 1 beer ;) hehehe  I would hope - and a good one to boot not some crappy MGD or something ;)

"I don't see anything that I can change to make it fit and lock"

There has to be something on the disk that allows you to slide it into place.. Those rails normally unscrew and you can attach different ones.  Not currently at home or would take a pic for example -- here let me see if I can find one on the net

here you go something like this I would guess is on the drive now?

post-14624-0-90416900-1393441541.png

Can you snap a picture of disk your wanting to put in to the new machine and where your trying to put it.  You sure its a HDD cage - your not trying to squeeze it into a floppy bay are you?

2.5 hrs would be more than 1 beer ;) hehehe I would hope - and a good one to boot not some crappy MGD or something ;)

"I don't see anything that I can change to make it fit and lock"

There has to be something on the disk that allows you to slide it into place.. Those rails normally unscrew and you can attach different ones. Not currently at home or would take a pic for example -- here let me see if I can find one on the net

here you go something like this I would guess is on the drive now?

rails.png

Can you snap a picture of disk your wanting to put in to the new machine and where your trying to put it. You sure its a HDD cage - your not trying to squeeze it into a floppy bay are you?

I'm on my way home from buying the Sata cable I will take a few pictures before I connect anything. Should be in about hour and a half maybe two.

Looking at the pictures you posted that isn't on my drive. The drive out of the old PC was screws into the cage.

The new one I'm placing it in the HDD 2 slot. Ill take a picture of that too.

so the new one has no rails either - what is the make and model of these computers.  Most cages are rails for pretty much everything, I can not remember the last time I had to screw a drive actually to a cage ;)

so the new one has no rails either - what is the make and model of these computers.  Most cages are rails for pretty much everything, I can not remember the last time I had to screw a drive actually to a cage ;)

hp envy 700-010xt

It's actually screws that hold it in, not a different type of loader like I thought.  Looking how they did it at HP, they used two screws which I did.  it now fits in place and booted fine. 

The pictures.

http://imgur.com/1VuxO0Z

http://imgur.com/sHKX6G3

http://imgur.com/7fYsrIG