Why do people not shut down PC's?

Off topic: I wonder, is leaving a laptop always on a good idea, since it will be trickling the battery continously?

I believe most laptops will stop charging the battery once its topped up and remain powered by the mains till enough power has drained from the battery.

1. Improved performance as regularly used apps sit in memory for fast access.

2. reduced risk from damage due to mechanical stress

3. no waiting for boot up

4. people who use apps like irc or steam can leave them running 24/7 to stay in the loop and auto updated.

Because I can afford not to.  Simple honest answer.

I'm still going through the other replies, but these two posts sum up my reasoning. Technology has changed so that it isn't necessary to do in order to preserve the hardware, and I don't suffer from the electricity bill, so why would I shut my system down completely? I only do it with my work machine on Fridays so that I have a longer wait on Monday before starting work... :p
  • Like 1

Because with sleep mode I don't have to wait 30 seconds to a minute for my computer to boot then initialize the desktop environment and start all the services need which can take another minute then waiting for all my applications to start again when instead I just wake it and continue on as normal.

I always have tons of programs, documents and windows opened, and shutting down means it would take me forever to get back in the state I was in.  If I could even *remember* what I had opened.

I've consolidated most of my old physical machines into a single VM host that barely uses 80W even under full load.  Powering down means putting at least a dozen VMs to sleep--resuming from that is a half-hour job.  My time is far more valuable.

Besides, with only one physical machine left running, my power consumption has already gone way down.  Not to mention that nowadays machines are much more power-efficient than they used to be.

1) Power consumption from electronic are going down

2) Only hippies give a #### about the climate

3) Why wait for it to start back up.. I have a blown cap on my Mobo and it takes a solid 10 minutes for my PC to boot 

4) I leave my PC on 24/7 and it runs like a champ

5) Give me a good solid reason why I should shut down, taking into account points 1 - 3.

I shut mine down at night so I don't have a darn noise in my room when I'm trying to sleep plus the LED's on it... I like dead silent and dark as heck at night... That's my main reason

• Like 3

Off topic: I wonder, is leaving a laptop always on a good idea, since it will be trickling the battery continously?

I have primary laptop stayed connected via wired...

the rest of laptops I can plug/unplug it when needed. 

I generally shut down my home computers when I know I'm not going to use them for long periods of time (like when I sleep). SSD's make boot up times minimal, not sure why people complain about boot times - even WD Black HDD's are good for 20-30 sec. boot times. The only devices I intentionally leave up 24/7 are my: NAS, and my work laptop - good for situations when I need to RDP into it (for on-call). 

It's the age old debate of shutting down your computers vs. leaving them running. With SSD's, boot times are absolutely minimal. Computers are also becoming more efficient, so it makes sense to leave them running 24/7 (cheap). Either way, it's your money, you decide what you want to do with it.  

I keep mine on because I remote into them often enough that they need to be on. If I turned them off, it would be a rather large inconvenience in some cases.

I shut it down because my boot time is ridiculous low (ssd)

Yep. When I remember to shut down, it's no issue booting back up.

Hello,

Pure laziness. There really isn't any other reason.

it is depends how you use it for... if you want to remote access, you need to leave it on...

Otherwise you can shut it down .. it's up to you... 

All you do is turn off the monitor(s)...  

Quite a few people have given reasons about servers and extremely long boot up times (30 minutes?) which seems reasonable.

But others have said things like "technology has improved". Can anyone really justify comments like that? Does anyone buy a technological product these days and expect it to last several years? Most products seem to deteriorate faster now than what they use to. So yes, power consumption might be next to nothing, but do people really trust the manufacturers to design equipment to last? I point people to the interesting comment about laptop batteries. If one left a laptop on 24/7, what would be the implications of that? 

A few people mentioned boot up times of 20-60 seconds which seem reasonable. But with Windows 8, those boot up times are much much lower. I expect when people finally upgrade (whether that is Win 8 or 9),would people still hold the same opinion? 

A few silly commends about how "green" I am and on climate change. I was just making a passing comment. Even if the power consumption is so low that it equates to 2 cents/ day (someone worked that out before), imagine if everyone switched off all appliances. In a year, that would save 1.825 billion dollars if we assume that 250 million households are in that same situation. That would increase of course for buildings etc. I know that is a relatively small number compared to the budgets within America, but nonetheless, why should we have the cynical ideology of "who cares" on the basis it makes little difference rather than the ideology "every little helps"? TL:DR just that I always believed when you finished with an appliance, you switched it off. 

Finally some comments on laziness and people who can afford to leave everything on. All I can say is, thanks for your honesty! :)

But others have said things like "technology has improved". Can anyone really justify comments like that? Does anyone buy a technological product these days and expect it to last several years? Most products seem to deteriorate faster now than what they use to. So yes, power consumption might be next to nothing, but do people really trust the manufacturers to design equipment to last? I point people to the interesting comment about laptop batteries. If one left a laptop on 24/7, what would be the implications of that? 

Heat, time (age), and cell wear from charging kill battery cells so you probably aren't wearing them out much by just leaving an idling laptop on. It would be different if your laptop was excessively hot though. 

Quite a few people have given reasons about servers and extremely long boot up times (30 minutes?) which seems reasonable.

A few people mentioned boot up times of 20-60 seconds which seem reasonable. But with Windows 8, those boot up times are much much lower. I expect when people finally upgrade (whether that is Win 8 or 9),would people still hold the same opinion? 

A few silly commends about how "green" I am and on climate change. I was just making a passing comment. Even if the power consumption is so low that it equates to 2 cents/ day (someone worked that out before), imagine if everyone switched off all appliances. In a year, that would save 1.825 billion dollars if we assume that 250 million households are in that same situation. That would increase of course for buildings etc. I know that is a relatively small number compared to the budgets within America, but nonetheless, why should we have the cynical ideology of "who cares" on the basis it makes little difference rather than the ideology "every little helps"? TL:DR just that I always believed when you finished with an appliance, you switched it off. 

Finally some comments on laziness and people who can afford to leave everything on. All I can say is, thanks for your honesty! :)

Heat, time (age), and cell wear from charging kill battery cells so you probably aren't wearing them out much by just leaving an idling laptop on. It would be different if your laptop was excessively hot though. 

I have been using my primary laptop for 10 years... no problem.

If you put sleep mode enabled... it should be fine... it won't get hot.

funny, i turn off most of my computers @ home; still my main energy leak is the appliances, such as the fridge, dish washer and such, even though they are all A+ or better certified.

I don't even put mine in sleep mode. I find that what kills the cells more than anything is a lot of cycling and just the battery quality. For example: both of the Dell batteries I had wore out quickly from excessive cycling (enough so that the first was replaced under warranty within a year of getting the laptop). The 3rd party battery I purchased after was much better even with excessive cycling.

Because times have changed.

win95.png

I remember hacking those to display anything, folks at computer lab would go nuts when they saw "your whole network has been hacked"

Did not affect the battery?

I don't even put mine in sleep mode. I find that what kills the cells more than anything is a lot of cycling and just the battery quality. For example: both of the Dell batteries I had wore out quickly from excessive cycling (enough so that the first was replaced under warranty within a year of getting the laptop). The 3rd party battery I purchased after was much better even with excessive cycling.

I know what you meant but I don't care since I have several laptops....   If there is no power, I can get a replacement battery pack.. no problem.

I remember hacking those to display anything, folks at computer lab would go nuts when they saw "your whole network has been hacked"

lol.. I have done same thing...  I made my own and use the message that says "You are being watched. If you are caught, I will come after you."

friends and family got their paranoid look on their face while they looked around in my office for the cameras.. heheh.

• Like 1