Why do people not shut down PC's?

I shut my down. Why? Because I freaking want to and it's no one else's business or concern. Speaking about power usage, if you can't afford the differences in cost be it in favor of standby or cold boot then you really should not be owning one as it's a very pointless debate topic in that regard. To strain one's finances to that point is a life fail of poor decision making.

Furthermore not all PC's are always stable going into standby all the time or they sometimes will wake up randomly despite no software reason why it should.

I shut my down. Why? Because I freaking want to and it's no one else's business or concern. Speaking about power usage, if you can't afford the differences in cost be it in favor of standby or cold boot then you really should not be owning one as it's a very pointless debate topic in that regard. To strain one's finances to that point is a life fail of poor decision making.

Furthermore not all PC's are always stable going into standby all the time or they sometimes will wake up randomly despite no software reason why it should.

You should really live in the real world.

Fuel bills in Britain for example have increased 1.3 in the past 10 years.

Salary's amongst the lower paid have not increased in the past 4 years, whereas everything has gone up in price, food, travel, clothing etcetera.

Companies in Britain will charge you ?4+++ for a paper bill through the post, every month.

So therefore people try and make ends meet by making sure their fuel bills don't put them in debt.

They want to make sure they only pay for what they need.

In this day-n-age you need a net connected device.

So get off your high Horse and remember not everyone is as well off as you.

Salary's amongst the lower paid have not increased in the past 4 years, whereas everything has gone up in price, food, travel, clothing etcetera.

Companies in Britain will charge you ?4+++ for a paper bill through the post, every month.

So therefore people try and make ends meet by making sure their fuel bills don't put them in debt.

You shouldn't have a PC if you can't afford the extra 1-2 Dollars, Pounds, or whatever it might add to your bill to run your computers all the time, and that's not factoring the reduction if lifespan on your hardware with the constant reboots will cause over time 

Power companies store the energy and then sell it on to other companies as excess or off-set it against future use.

Like if you put solar panels on your porperty, if that is the roofs, garage roof, panels in garden, where ever, the 'what-you-don't-use' gets stored in blocks and energy companies will offer to buy it from you.

They don't store the power. But they predict how much is used and produce according to that if more or less is used it will slightly affect the hz. Over production is generally wasted or sent overseas. But all power production is adjusted to use.

You shouldn't have a PC if you can't afford the extra 1-2 Dollars, Pounds, or whatever it might add to your bill to run your computers all the time, and that's not factoring the reduction if lifespan on your hardware with the constant reboots will cause over time 

In 21st century Britain you must have a internet connected device, to pay bills.

With that you need an internet connection and a telephone line.

There are not enough spaces int eh local libraries, though local libraries are being closed down.

However you cannot dictate to people if they should or should not have a PC.

It is the 21st century and we all should have a PC in our homes.

They don't store the power. But they predict how much is used and produce according to that if more or less is used it will slightly affect the hz. Over production is generally wasted or sent overseas. But all power production is adjusted to use.

Yes they do store the power, I know this as I worked at the National grid London.

It's common sense. Sell your PC if it uses that kind of power and strains your budget. It's a poor decision to build a PC and then worry about wether you use standby or power off. A poor decision in life is a fail and there is no excuse. Reality isn't a high horse, if your bills have increased then you make concessions or perform some kind of money management preparations. There are TONS of alternatives to getting online if you require it but the issue at hand is apparently the differences of wether to turn such on or use standby which is ridiculous if you are cutting your finances that close.

I do live in the real world. When prices go up, I make adjustments. I turned my heat down a little, invested in a higher efficiency furnace, purchased cheaper dog food, didn't buy certain things I don't need. I haven't purchased a PC game in months........but I can still turn it on from cold boot or use standby any time I please and not worry about it. I would never let my finances strain to that point, it's silly.

Concessions people...its part of growing up.

It costs you at least 50 times more in energy to shut down and reboot rather than sleep mode.

So hippy, you want to save the worlds resources, then what you need to do is sleep your PC unless a re-boot is required to update system files.

I don't think it works like you are saying it does. The small power spike on boot up may cost you 7 cents of power and thats being incredibly liberal about it and assuming you pay 15 cents a kilowatt. Everything has to come up and do a POST (Power On Self-Test) which is what wastes power. BIOS does one, CPU is 100% for the whole boot sequence, RAM gets checked and HDDs spin up, CD-ROM does a little howdy, etc. Unless you are only powering down for 5 seconds, sleep and shut down are essentially the same thing from the computers point of view. Copying from HDD to RAM what you need to boot is the slowest process, so to the user its a much faster startup.

Sleeping powers off nearly all components. Sleep works by holding voltage on the RAM chips so to the OS everything is already loaded on boot. They de-energize everything else and cool down until you power back up, saving power they would otherwise waste and turn to most likely its byproduct - heat. When you do power up, those components without power take the same power bump as a cold boot would, start heating up again and thus stressing 95% of your PC the same as a cold boot until a 'stable' temperature is reached.

I only use Sleep mode every night and only turns it off when I am gone for days. Even if I turn it off, I have SSD in all my machines and it boots up pretty quick.

But still, I am lazy to bent down to push the POWER switch. lol

What? That doesn't even begin to make sense...

There is no need for the majority of people to leave their machines on 24/7. Keeping their utility bill lower isn't a negative thing either. Wasting money isn't really smart no matter the amount...

I have servers than run 24/7 in my basement and I don't let any PC in my home stay on 24/7. There is no need for this*.

* For the vast majority of users...

i mine bitcoins, litecoins, and peercoins on 2 desktops and 1 laptop

before i started mining i would always have them (24/7) on because of the time

it took to boot them

1) Power consumption from electronic are going down

2) Only hippies give a #### about the climate

3) Why wait for it to start back up.. I have a blown cap on my Mobo and it takes a solid 10 minutes for my PC to boot 

4) I leave my PC on 24/7 and it runs like a champ

5) Give me a good solid reason why I should shut down, taking into account points 1 - 3.

Because I can afford not to.  Simple honest answer.

What they said, except for firey's point 3. I do shut down my work laptop every day though since I have to take it home with me and there's usually too much hustle and bustle in the metro to risk leaving it on and something happening to the hard drive if it gets banged around too much while it's spinning. I turn it back on when I get home though and leave it on overnight so it can do the scheduled tasks like virus scan, updates, etc. I'm also somewhat addicted to email and like to read and respond to emails as soon as they come in, no matter the time of day, lol, so having my laptop/desktops on all the time make replying easier :)

It costs you at least 50 times more in energy to shut down and reboot rather than sleep mode.

I don't think it works like you are saying it does. The small power spike on boot up may cost you 7 cents of power and thats being incredibly liberal about it and assuming you pay 15 cents a kilowatt. Everything has to come up and do a POST (Power On Self-Test) which is what wastes power. BIOS does one, CPU is 100% for the whole boot sequence, RAM gets checked and HDDs spin up, CD-ROM does a little howdy, etc. Unless you are only powering down for 5 seconds, sleep and shut down are essentially the same thing from the computers point of view. Copying from HDD to RAM what you need to boot is the slowest process, so to the user its a much faster startup.

Sleeping powers off nearly all components. Sleep works by holding voltage on the RAM chips so to the OS everything is already loaded on boot. They de-energize everything else and cool down until you power back up, saving power they would otherwise waste and turn to most likely its byproduct - heat. When you do power up, those components without power take the same power bump as a cold boot would, start heating up again and thus stressing 95% of your PC the same as a cold boot until a 'stable' temperature is reached.

For those who are talking about how much energy is wasted from shutting off/turning on equipment versus leaving it on or in sleep mode: mythbuster's did a segment on this with lights at one point: http://www.curiousread.com/2007/11/myth-busters-leave-lights-on-or-turn.html

Logically, it doesn't really make sense anyway. It'd be very difficult to get an instantaneous spike in power draw to be larger than the power draw of 1 Watt in sleep mode over a prolonged period of time. Think about it like this: in sleep mode you typically are drawing energy at a rate of 1 Joule per second (W = J/s). After 1 minute, you've drawn 60 Joules of energy or to say it another way, you've drawn the same amount of energy that a 60 Watt bulb does in 1 second. Now consider that your computer has been sleeping for an hour: this means that it has drawn 3600 Joules of energy or to say it another way, you've drawn the same amount of energy that a 60 Watt bulb does in 1 minute.

Now if we drew that much energy in a single second how much would it be in terms of watts? 3600 Watts. Obviously, instantaneous power draws in this range are not possible because they would fry your equipment and there's really no way equipment is going to consume the same amount of energy in such a short period to make up for what was used by sleeping.

Now, If we assumed that it consumed additional power over a prolonged period of minutes what would it have to be to peak past what would be used during sleep? A typical desktop processor has a TDP of ~60 Watts. To put this in ranges where the system wouldn't vaporize, it would have to consume 60 additional Watts constantly for 60 seconds on top of the normal power draw (when on) to make up the difference for 1 hour of sleep. Now extrapolate that to 7 hours in sleep mode versus off... 60 additional Watts for 7 minutes. These are fairly ridiculous notions and I'm even being generous in my numbers: you are probably drawing more power than 1 watt when sleeping and portable machines operate at TDPs that <<60W so to make these "reasonable" times for many systems, you'd have to operate at TDP for much longer than what I listed here in a number of real world cases.