NASA announces discovery of 715 new worlds

NASA says its Kepler telescope has discovered a bonanza of 715 planets outside our solar system, pushing the number of planets discovered in the galaxy to about 1,700.

Scientists used a new confirmation technique to come up with the largest single announcement of a batch of exoplanets ? what planets outside our solar system are called.

"We almost doubled just today the number of planets known to humanity," NASA planetary scientist Jack Lissauer said in a Wednesday teleconference, calling it "the big mother lode."

All the new planets are in systems like ours where multiple planets circle a star. The 715 planets came from looking at just 305 stars. They were nearly all in size closer to Earth than gigantic Jupiter.

And four of those new exoplanets orbit their stars in "habitable zones" where it is not too hot or not too cold for liquid water which is crucial for life to exist.

"Four years ago, Kepler began a string of announcements of first hundreds, then thousands, of planet candidates --but they were only candidate worlds," Lissauer said in a statement. "We've now developed a process to verify multiple planet candidates in bulk to deliver planets wholesale, and have used it to unveil a veritable bonanza of new worlds."

more

I want to know what's going on in the other Galaxies.   Between them finding more in our galaxy and the hundreds if not thousands of other galaxies, somewhere some ###### is happening.   We can't be the only people sitting on a rock going through space.  

• Like 1

But we are the only people, becuase thats where God put us. There is no other planet like this one.

I am religious, but I really can't accept that as true.   

We can't see across our own Galaxy, the planets they find will never be in detail like what we can see already with our local planets.   

But we are the only people, becuase thats where God put us. There is no other planet like this one.

Then why did he create countless other planets and galaxies all impossibly out of our reach?

Guys, just let us respect his religion, lifestyle and beliefs.

Just as they do our.... uhhh.... Never mind.... Carry on... ;-P

You do realize that vast majprity of Christian churches do not exclude extraterrestrial life, including the Catholics?

Not religious so perhaps I'm confused. Wouldn't other sentient life require their own savior? Wouldn't that remove the uniqueness of Christ? Isn't that a problem for Christians?

Not religious so perhaps I'm confused. Wouldn't other sentient life require their own savior? Wouldn't that remove the uniqueness of Christ? Isn't that a problem for Christians?

No, not most if them. It just makes Creation even grander, and who's to say a Christ hasn't been used elsewhere?

Modern interpretations of the Torah don't exclude ET's either, though there is a disagreement over some aspects of their free will. IIRC the Quoran also discusses life being dispersed on Earth and in the Heavens.

I am religious, but I really can't accept that as true.   

We can't see across our own Galaxy, the planets they find will never be in detail like what we can see already with our local planets.   

Each to their own, and I admire your faith and your beliefs. But, when it comes to science I have a clear understanding. I think it's because as a child I would watch all the "Scientific Nerds" on Open University. I believe in science... and not I am not blinded by science... because science tips the scales in favour of other questions and answers that cannot be answered. Therefore, science answers the questions by analysing and collecting data.

I'm not knocking your faith. I'm just trying to explain this from a scientific point of view.

Funny thing is, we wouldn't know of these - or any - exoplanets in the first place, if it wasn't for science. The Bible sure as hell doesn't mention this stuff.

No, not most if them. It just makes Creation even grander, and who's to say a Christ hasn't been used elsewhere?

Modern interpretations of the Torah don't exclude ET's either, though there is a disagreement over some aspects of their free will. IIRC the Quoran also discusses life being dispersed on Earth and in the Heavens.

I agree that it probably isn't a concern among the rank and file. But to theologians it does look problematic, although they have offered work arounds.

Still. What a problem to have right?

Each to their own, and I admire your faith and your beliefs. But, when it comes to science I have a clear understanding. I think it's because as a child I would watch all the "Scientific Nerds" on Open University. I believe in science... and not I am not blinded by science... because science tips the scales in favour of other questions and answers that cannot be answered. Therefore, science answers the questions by analysing and collecting data.

I'm not knocking your faith. I'm just trying to explain this from a scientific point of view.

Nah I understand. I've always been right center minded with this stuff.

To me I can't and no one can either prove or disprove.

However deep down I feel like we are not the only people in space.