Is Milk Veg or Non-Veg?

Is Milk Veg or Non-Veg  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is Milk Veg or Non-Veg

Darrian, on 28 Feb 2014 - 11:04, said:

That's irrelevant.  It is the farmer's choice to kill the calves; it isn't a necessity.  In any case, they gotta get hamburger from somewhere.

I grew up next to a dairy farm, it is very much a necessity. You can't have the calves drinking the milk.

Face it, calves are a byproduct of dairy farming that needs to be disposed of, simple as that.

And not that I'm a fan of the daily mail but: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2152608/Baby-calves-shot-C4-documentary-People-right-complain-dont-inform-food.html

It doesn't change that milk comes from the cow and the cow isn't being harmed.  I guess what really matters is why you're a vegetarian.  If you are doing it because you conscientiously object to the harming of other living beings then you're probably not going to drink milk, or you'd be a hypocrite.  If you're doing it because you believe it to be healthier for your body then you might not mind dairy products from time to time.

Try telling this to a German. To them, fish and other seafood are vegetarian. 

That may be, but it doesn't change the definition of vegetarian, which is:

noun
1. a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.

Of course vegetarians can have milk, why wouldn't they?

I am a vegetarian, have been for over 25 years I drink milk.

I prefer lactose free milk.

Milk is a liquid as you know and around 99.9% water.

It just has extras like calcium and other vitamins and minerals.

I will not eat or drink anything that has a pulse and a heart beat.

I do get cheesed off when I hear people say they're vegetarians and they eat white meat and fish.

I do occasionally eat cake, which is made with egg, though the eggs are totally infertile and even if you simulated a Chicken trying to hatch them they would never hatch.

A vegetable has the ability to grow and produce, milk doesn't, so is not a vegetable.

Answer is obviously, non-vegetable.

Milk is vegetarian because you're not eating the cow. If you refuse to eat any animal products meat or otherwise, you're a vegan. There is a big difference. There really isn't a reason to poll this, as it's the definition of the terms. Pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

sigh, let me explain

Before a mammal starts giving milk it needs to be pregnant and give birth to offspring. In the case of a cow it needs a calf ;). So they need to get a calf at a rate of one per year (more or less) to keep producing milk. The farmer only needs a small percentage of offspring to keep his herd at the same size, so most of the calfs are slaughtered when the milk production is good and going. When a cow is too old it also goes to the slaughterhause. So yes, to produce milk you have to kill animals, I kind of thought that was common knowledge ;)

I thought they simply gave them a lactate inducing drug.  :s

• Skiver locked this topic