Question

Posted

My PC is homebuilt and the specs are in my sig. Whenever I try to put it to sleep for the night, it powers back on for some reason. Anyone care to weigh in as to why this would happen? I am running Windows 8.1.

10 answers to this question

Posted

There's a wake timer somewhere. Try checking your network adapter properties for them and turn them off.

Posted

Go into your power profile, check under the sleep options, and set "Allow wake timer" to disabled.

Posted

I had this happen to me, windows was waking up from hibernation all the time. turned out it was media center waking it up to update it's self :argh:

Posted

Check that it is not a part of a Home Group. Being a member caused the same problem. My computer would wake up but not go back to sleep.

Posted

I haven't yet gone down the Windows 8 train so I'm not sure if MS removed this feature...

Open CMD as administrator and run "powercfg -lastwake" (without the quotes) and it should tell you the last device that caused the computer to wake from sleep.

1 person likes this

Posted

Is you motherboard by any chance by ASRock? If it is then you have enabled something called "Dehumidifier". It's a motherboard feature that powers the computer automatically up after you've already put it in S4/S5 sleep state, in order to dehumidify the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mQfFVT4tT8

Posted

i have this same issue ever since i installed windows 8 (and 8.1) on both my desktop and laptop. i read a KB article from MS that supposedly fixed the issue in a recent patch, but it wasnt fixed.

Posted

powercfg /lastwake every time.  Nails the culprit for waking it up and saved me a lot of rummaging about.

Posted

and powercfg /waketimers to see the wake timers set for your system :)

Posted

Some bios's have the awake/timer "feature" in them also.

I'd go with what Dot Matrix said though :)