xbone xbox one xbox one sku hard drive space

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 02 March 2014 - 14:45

It's just a shame you have to void the warranty to change the internal drive. I know someone who's upgraded the internal to a 2TB drive and everything has been great for him.

I thought the XO only recognised 500GB of storage and still only showed 356GB free regardless of drive size?

#17 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 March 2014 - 14:56

Can you install a SSD on the Xbox One?

If you plugged one in externally, would the USB 3.0 keep up with SSD speed?

Sure, but I doubt it would make enough of a difference to make it worth the cost. 

#18 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 02 March 2014 - 15:03

Sure, but I doubt it would make enough of a difference to make it worth the cost. 

Probably not, but I was just curious.

I'll probably get the biggest hard drive I can find once this feature is enabled.

#19 Jarrichvdv

Jarrichvdv

Not all who wander are lost

• Phone: Windows Phone 8 GDR3

Posted 03 March 2014 - 14:31

Can you install a SSD on the Xbox One?

If you plugged one in externally, would the USB 3.0 keep up with SSD speed?

The Xbox One and PS4 don't benefit from the added speeds of SSD's like regular PC's do. Lots of tests have shown marginal/ignorable performance increases.

#20 magik

magik

It's magik baby!

Posted 04 March 2014 - 17:14

Personally, I can't wait until we no longer have to worry about local storage space. It seems we're long overdue for that type of advancement.

#21 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 04 March 2014 - 17:23

Personally, I can't wait until we no longer have to worry about local storage space. It seems we're long overdue for that type of advancement.

Still a ways to go, it is crazy expensive (at least in Canada, can't imagine other places) for unlimited internet.  I was able to finally get unlimited, but it costs me 140$ per month (45down, 3up, unlimited bw).  I got a deal by telling the lady I was going to flat out cancel, so it's only 100$ per month.. but still.

If local storage was gone, then we would need to have the internet stucture world wide to support that.

#22 magik

magik

It's magik baby!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:34

Still a ways to go, it is crazy expensive (at least in Canada, can't imagine other places) for unlimited internet.  I was able to finally get unlimited, but it costs me 140$ per month (45down, 3up, unlimited bw).  I got a deal by telling the lady I was going to flat out cancel, so it's only 100$ per month.. but still.

If local storage was gone, then we would need to have the internet stucture world wide to support that.

Ah, yes, good point. I keep forgetting that unlimited bandwidth isn't everywhere. I consider myself lucky here and I'll stop complaining. :hmmm:  :)

#23 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:32

The drive on X1 is silly easy to replace, nothing custom about it. She's built like the original Xbox, just regular parts that come out no problem. But not sure how'd you get the OS on the bigger drive from the Samsung that's in there? I think there was a link mentioned above? And yes, warranty nullified on the spot clearly, so maybe not a good idea. I'm ok with the space, on my PC I have 1.5TB and that's been fine for ages, even with like 20-30 installed games on Steam at any given time.

#24 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 March 2014 - 13:32

I install PC games to my SSD, for performance, and it's only a 256GB so plus the OS and apps and games it's not that free, but really most games, once I finish them I don't replay them over, so when I'm done they get removed from my drive.   If I had the XB1 and was running low I'd just delete games I'll never play again.

#25 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:31

Yes, it really isn't that bad. Even with 50GB games it's still OK, and maybe even adds an element of rationality to things, as you can't just gorge yourself on games like a lunatic. Not that i know anyone that does something like that.

EDIT: what do you mean you don't have an X1? What? How dare you? Get it NOWWW!

#26 Island Dog

Island Dog

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 March 2014 - 18:16

Right now 500GB isn't that bad, but there's still a small library of games for the Xbox One.  Give it another year or so, and that 500GB will be nothing.

#27 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:09

True, in a year or two if you're the gamer that wants to have a full library, then it will definitely become an issue. I hope external storage is implemented unlike Wii U, where it's only for media and game saves, but not for apps/programs.