Tim Cook Angrily Rejects Political Proposal Asking for Profits-First Policies

Tim Cook Angrily Rejects Political Proposal Asking for Profits-First Policies

During Apple's annual shareholder's meeting today, CEO Tim Cook angrily rebuffed a representative from the National Center for Public Policy Research or NCPPR -- a conservative think tank -- that asked the company to disclose the costs of its sustainability programs, such as solar energy facilities, and to embrace a corporate policy that focused on profits above all else.

The representative asked Cook about the impact of the company's renewable energy programs on its bottom line, and also asked Cook to commit to only undertaking projects that were explicitly profitable.

The CEO did not take this well, according to a report from MacObserver, which said that Cook's body language changed significantly and his gentle and controlled speaking style gave way to a rapid-fire response.

What ensued was the only time I can recall seeing Tim Cook angry, and he categorically rejected the worldview behind the NCPPR's advocacy. He said that there are many things Apple does because they are right and just, and that a return on investment (ROI) was not the primary consideration on such issues.

"When we work on making our devices accessible by the blind," he said, "I don't consider the bloody ROI." He said that the same thing about environmental issues, worker safety, and other areas where Apple is a leader.

Finally, Cook looked at the questioner and said "if you want me to do things only for ROI reasons, you should get out of this stock."

Following the meeting, the NCPPR released an incendiary press release that is heavily critical of Cook, flaming that shareholder value is destroyed in favor of efforts to combat climate change.

Source: Mac Rumors

I applaud Tim Cook for his response to the conservative clowns of the NCPPR. For extra laughs, read their press release: 'Tim Cook to Apple Investors: Drop Dead'

Can't believe I'm actually defending Apple, but in all honestly it seems like this National Center of BS (I'm calling it that because I don't want to get the actuall name) is just buthurt someone didn't go along with their equally BS plan.

I don't always like what Apple does but this time I would say "Go Apple". These climate change/global warming deniers are ######ing stupid.

at the end of the day, if your organisation doesnt have a CSI policy that tackles  sustainable long term goals and objectives, you will find yourself not having an competitive edge. I can't believe that some conservative lobbyists still think 'profit before community or environment'; its one of the most short sighted and child like mentality when it comes to business.

A lot of Apple's success stems from its image, where sustainability and ethics are both significant factors. For instance, Apple's decision to manufacture in the US isn't directly profitable but it helps to justify the premium price tag that the company's products command.

The NCPPR is just a joke and sums up everything that is wrong with conservatism / capitalism in the US.

Wow, there are really people THAT greedy? (I refuse to use the word conservative, as that has nothing to do with greed imho)

Now I imagine that think tank as a bunch of men looking like this:

Scrooge.jpg

The CEO of the company I work for alluded to something like this when we bought our wind farm that's now powering most of the campus, saying that one of the perks of being private is that she can write checks for things like that without having to be concerned about what shareholders might think.  Pretty awesome that Cook told them off.

Read this last night and have nothing but respect for Cook's decision.

I don't always like what Apple does but this time I would say "Go Apple". These climate change/global warming deniers are ####ing stupid.

I am truly shocked Apple took this stance because they always seemed money hungry to me. However I totally agree with the global warming comment. If anything we are going thru global cooling. All this insane weather we been getting lately with this snow has been retarded.

I am truly shocked Apple took this stance because they always seemed money hungry to me. However I totally agree with the global warming comment. If anything we are going thru global cooling. All this insane weather we been getting lately with this snow has been retarded.

That's because 'global warming' was a term made up by right-wing politicians, not scientists, to discredit theories of global climate change.  Not that this is the thread for that discussion, but using the term global warming isn't an accurate portrayal of the actual issue.  That said, if you look outside what's going on short term (which is really only going on in small parts of the world), the climate is warming and has been for some time - other areas of the world are experience record high temps right now as well.

• 2 weeks later...

That's because 'global warming' was a term made up by right-wing politicians, not scientists, to discredit theories of global climate change.  Not that this is the thread for that discussion, but using the term global warming isn't an accurate portrayal of the actual issue.  That said, if you look outside what's going on short term (which is really only going on in small parts of the world), the climate is warming and has been for some time - other areas of the world are experience record high temps right now as well.

If I recall correctly it was Al Gore the main proponent of the term Global Warming, when it turned out to be a farce it was changed to Climate Change and now to AGW or whatever new fancy term they use for it, get your facts straight bud 

If I recall correctly it was Al Gore the main proponent of the term Global Warming, when it turned out to be a farce it was changed to Climate Change and now to AGW or whatever new fancy term they use for it, get your facts straight bud 

Its name is irrelevant. The only issue is whether it can be corroborated by evidence, which it is.

'Tim Cook to Apple Investors: Drop Dead'

Apple? today announced financial results for its fiscal 2014 first quarter ended December 28, 2013. The Company posted record quarterly revenue of $57.6 billion and quarterly net profit of $13.1 billion, or $14.50 per diluted share. 

Take that, investors!

Wow, there are really people THAT greedy? (I refuse to use the word conservative, as that has nothing to do with greed imho)

Now I imagine that think tank as a bunch of men looking like this:

Scrooge.jpg

You also realize that Scrooze was greedy but he was still a duck and had forgone his propsective wealth to save his nephwes.

why doesn't apple start buying their stock back? they have tons of money in reserve... the more stock they have the more say they have in the end

Theoretically, I believe that's their plan by the time all of their landscape projects have been accomplished, to the point where they can produce everything on their own.

Just saw that.

Idiots!!!    Apple is hugely successful in comparison to other companies, and they have a premium products with high profit margins.

To ask them to stop environmental policies when there is no real need for it, is just childish!!!   

This policies are the thing that allows them to keep their reputation, that is hugely important to their business.  The "goodwill", if you may!

Just look at this thread to see how "goodwill" is positive for the company.  Everyone respects that decision, and respect means good business.

It does not look like this "organization" is very business smart, at all.