Considering Surface Pro 2

I'm considering purchasing my wife and I each a Surface Pro 2 to use basically as notebook replacements. I currently use a late-2011 model 13" MacBook Pro with comparable specs (Core i5, 4gb Ram, HD 3000 graphics, etc...) and she is using a refurbished Asus U46E (Core i5, 8gb Ram, HD 3000 graphics, etc...). I know that the Pro 2 will outperform both of these machines, but I do have a couple of small concerns that I'm hoping someone might be able to address.

1. 128GB SSD: I'm not sure how limiting this will end up being. We both have external HDDs for backup storage that we can use for personal files like photo's and music. My main concern, especially for mine is that the HDD will become full. I definitely want to be able to play WoW on it and that will eat up close to 40GB alone. I could upgrade to the 256GB version I guess, but it's hard to justify the $300 difference, but I might have to suck it up.

2. Type Cover 2: I've read reports that two finger actions don't work well on the second gen Type Cover. Has this been fixed with firmware updates or is it still a problem?

3. Anything else I should know about the SP2?

I can't speak to the two-finger actions as I rarely (almost never) use the touchpad. But I'd definitely recommend spending that extra $300. Not mainly for the storage, but for the upgrade to 8GB of RAM. It will increase the longevity of the device and make some things a bit faster.  Don't get me wrong, the Surface is STUPID fast as it is, but the bar will move in the coming years.

Also keep OneDrive in mind. You can control which files are offline only and which files are cached locally so it really does augment your storage when it comes to media and documents.

Finally, don't forget about the SD card. If you do go with the 128GB version you can install WoW (and other things) there.

-Forjo

• Like 2

I'm an original Pro owner (128GB) with the original Type Cover, so I can't answer points 2 or 3.  However, for your first point...I'll just say that I still have 60GB free on mine, even after over a year of usage and having gone through the 8.0 to 8.1 upgrade.

Point is, don't put large file collections on it, especially if yourself and your wife are both going to have your own tablets, otherwise keeping things in synch, if that's a goal of yours, is just going to be a nightmare.  I couldn't imagine trying to manage a large MP3 collection, for example, copied across multiple devices--people need to stop doing that.  Generally speaking, these days, I've moved away from local storage and keep everything on a cheap NAS.  Then there's only one thing you need to worry about backing up.  Even my old desktop with Windows 7 only has a 64GB SSD, and it's got more than 30GB free.

Also--get a USB3 dock.  Doesn't have to be Microsoft's.  I paid I think $120 for mine, some generic thing from Plugable.  It lets me use my regular full-sized keyboard, mouse, 3 external monitors, scanner, printer etc with it, and it's essentially turned my Surface Pro into a full-blown everyday workstation that I can disconnect one cable from and take with me.

I would also say that the covers (type or touch) are no replacement for a notebook keyboard, in the sense that you can't type with them on your lap--you need a solid flat surface if you're going to type anything longer than a URL.

I didn't realize that the RAM jumped up with the 256GB version. That makes it worth it to me now, I'll definitely go in that direction.

I have a dedicated desktop and desktop replacement notebook, so mobility is the main consideration for me. I've read that you can use the type cover while on your lap, is it just a pain in the butt or really a bad idea?

1. The 128 works fine for me. I don't do too much gaming on it though. I have Windows (obviously), Office, and Adobe Creative Cloud installed on it and there's still about 80 gigs left over, so I would imagine you could still get away with having WoW on there.

2. The two finger stuff works fine for me. Only problem is that the "touchpad" area is pretty small, so don't expect it to be as nice as your Airbook.

3. It's a fast device. I just got one a week ago. At first you'll have to get used to the small screen (10") but once you've adjusted, it's really nice to have a full and capable PC in a tiny package. I've never heard the fan come on yet either, so I'll install a game on there and see if I can stress it a bit more. I also recommend getting a proper mouse for it if you're going to do any gaming or serious work on it.

I've read that you can use the type cover while on your lap, is it just a pain in the butt or really a bad idea?

it was a problem with the original surface due to the angle of the kickstand but they fixed that problem with the surface 2 so it's definitely usable on the lap

While I'm not a huge Microsoft Fan, I am actually considering this as well to replace my iPad Air.. I move around a lot at work and going into the server room, bringing a laptop is such a pain.. I could get rid of an iPad and laptop with this.. 

Sweet, now if the IRS would hurry up and process my return I could make this happen!

I have a Surface RT and Surface Pro, my granddaughter has my desktop, I have the type 2 cover on my Pro and touch cover on my RT, I am using them both constantly, I have a 23" monitor with HDMI but I very rarely use it, you get used to the 10.1" screen. Jim

I have had mine since December, I got the 128 GB version. I couldn't justify the 256 GB version. It is an expensive device considering what it is. If you purely want a more powerful computer, you can get one for much cheaper. You really are just paying for the two in one factor. 

I also had concerns about the 128 GB version. I have about 80 GB free with all my essential apps installed, along with a few Steam games. I complement this with a NAS where all my media is stored, and via cloud services (Google Play Music, One Drive, etc.). There is also a microSD slot you can utilize for additional storage. It is nice that they throw in the Skype and One Drive goodies. You will most likely end up getting the upgraded CPU the i5 4300U, which is also nice. 

Type Cover 2 - I got this is a present. Aesthetically, it is very nice. However, in real world use, it's just alright. The mouse is definitely the most unreliable part of this keyboard, it's hard to perform right clicks. I find myself using the stylus more, since you can press and hold the button on the stylus as form of right click (think tapping on screen and holding for right click). I could justify the keyboard if it was half the price it goes for.

Firmware on SP2 is just a hit or miss. I have a lot of problems with the device going into and coming out of sleep. Getting it out of sleep mode either works or doesn't. When it doesn't, you have to perform a hard cold boot, which is just annoying. Battery life is excellent - Haswell CPU's really make a big difference. All around, it's a nice device - I just wish it was slightly cheaper. 

what tsupersonic said

The cover is somewhat "meh" but the backlight is kewl

I seen the CPU go up as high as 2.5Ghz and 2.3Ghz when all virtual cores are hammered.

Battery life gets cut immensely under stress.

The device is tiny with a 1080p 60Hz screen, if you are like me, this will give you a backache.