What we want from Windows 9

What we want from Windows 9

Article by Nathan Edwards Feb 28, 2014

" Microsoft, it's good that you're working on improvements to DirectX that'll enable lower overhead and faster performance. But don't make people pay to upgrade Windows just to get the new DirectX version. Like how DirectX 10 was only available if people upgraded to Vista, and DirectX 11.2 is only available on Windows 8.1. It's a good way to encourage gamers to download service packs, yes?Windows 7 users should have the latest service packs installed, and if the only way to get them to do that is to hold DirectX 11.1 over their heads, well, we can understand. But don't tie them to OS upgrades that cost $100, especially if only every other operating system version is worth installing. Tying DirectX 10 to Windows Vista just made gamers angry, and they found a way to install Halo 2?the big Vista exclusive?on XP, anyway. Hell, if you're feeling really generous, don't tie DirectX to Windows at all. Set it free. After all, AMD, Nvidia, and Intel are working on reducing driver overhead in OpenGL, too, and that'll work everywhere, not just on Windows. Cough, SteamOS, cough cough. "

Stopped reading at the first page. It's clear this author hasn't used Windows 8 at all, or has barely used it before writing the article.

Stopped reading at the first page. It's clear this author hasn't used Windows 8 at all, or has barely used it before writing the article.

I read the first page and didn't get that impression at all. Just because someone says something negative about Windows 8 doesn't mean they haven't used it.

I read the first page and didn't get that impression at all. Just because someone says something negative about Windows 8 doesn't mean they haven't used it.

He claimed apps only run fullscreen, he neglected to mention that apps don't run fullscreen, and can be snapped.

He claimed apps only run fullscreen, he neglected to mention that apps don't run fullscreen, and can be snapped.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Metro apps. Also, he talks about that in page 2 ... I thought you stopped reading after page 1

Mr. Edwards is a tech journalist specializing in computers. He's the lead editor for "Wirecutters" and has written for Tested, PCWorld, PCGamer, Maximum PC and many others. I would probably say he's tested Windows 8 since he makes a living writing reviews of hardware he's tested.

I'd like to say "win7 with an updated GUI" - but I have no idea what that GUI would remotely be like.   3D ?  Holographic ?  What is the next major step ?

• 2 weeks later...

Most of this is so dumb I'm not sure why it deserved typing up.

Windows Store only game releases, is that what all that stuff MS released on Steam is?

What reason would they have to revive GfWL after abandoning it?

They already said the Xbox One controller was coming to Windows.

I could keep going if I actually wanted to, but you get the point.

The problem with this review is that it heavily focuses on the gaming aspects of Windows 8 rather than the standard things that normal operating system reviews should have. :/ So, not entirely trustworthy for non PC games. And yes, I realise that this review was posted on a gaming website.