help me choose a macbook pro

I am trying to figure out which macbook pro I need. 13 inch sounds good cause I would like extra portability. I am under the impression that the 13 inch Retina has the same resolution as the 15inch? 

Processor wise, the 13inch with 2.8GHz Dual core? i7 would get me to the same price as the 2.0GHz Quad core i7 at 15 inches. 

Usage: Google earth development, SQL programming, lots and lots of excel + excel Macros. 

What do you recommend? I am used to overpowered desktops and am very impatient with ultra book slow downs. Will the 13inch 2.8 dual i7 do the job? It actually comes with more storage than the 15inch. 

thanks,

The dual-core i7 would be fine for what you're wanting to do.

EDIT: I see dual-core i5s on their website, then the quad-core i7.  Even with that, the i5s are fine processors for what you're doing.

I am trying to figure out which macbook pro I need. 13 inch sounds good cause I would like extra portability. I am under the impression that the 13 inch Retina has the same resolution as the 15inch? 

Processor wise, the 13inch with 2.8GHz Dual core? i7 would get me to the same price as the 2.0GHz Quad core i7 at 15 inches. 

Usage: Google earth development, SQL programming, lots and lots of excel + excel Macros. 

What do you recommend? I am used to overpowered desktops and am very impatient with ultra book slow downs. Will the 13inch 2.8 dual i7 do the job? It actually comes with more storage than the 15inch. 

thanks,

Remember that ram and hard drives are no longer upgradable on the mbp.  So, plan accordingly.  I'd personally go for the 16gb ram and 1tb of ssd storage.

have rMBP with 256SSD and 8Gig ram, Didnt get the i7 think i will next time but not really worth it imho.

Remember that ram and hard drives are no longer upgradable on the mbp.  So, plan accordingly.  I'd personally go for the 16gb ram and 1tb of ssd storage.

rMBP you can not upgrade the ram but can with ssd. mbp i think you should still be able to.

The 15" and 13" do NOT have the same resolution.

My biggest suggestion is to get the max ram you can get since you can't upgrade it later.

have rMBP with 256SSD and 8Gig ram, Didnt get the i7 think i will next time but not really worth it imho.

rMBP you can not upgrade the ram but can with ssd. mbp i think you should still be able to.

The new 2013-2014 rMBP has the pci-e flash ssd drives, which I do not believe are upgradable.

EDIT:  The early 2013 rMBP ssd drive can be upgraded.  The late 2013 (current model) cannot.

The 15" and 13" do NOT have the same resolution.

My biggest suggestion is to get the max ram you can get since you can't upgrade it later.

Can I ask them to upgrade it later or am I just stuck with what I got. 

The ram is not upgradable at all.  So you want to figure out what you will need.

You can upgrade the RAM and HDD in the non-retina MacBook Pro, but the screen resolution on those things is atrocious. 

But with more RAM and an SSD those machines still perform well.

To be honest most of the MacBook's even the Airs are massively quick machines, the PCI SSD's just make them amazingly fast. I have a 15" max out MBPr, the previous version and a MBA current version and I find myself just using the 11" Air for everything, it absolutely does the job and it's the lowest 11" MBA so i5 1.3Ghz with turbo boost.

Stuck with what you have.  Everyone of my clients that talks about getting one, I always tell them to get the 16GB of ram.  Don't think about anything else.  If you are thinking of buying it with less because of cost, then you shouldn't be looking at the MacBook Pro in the first place.

To be honest, for what you're looking to do - any spec will be fine.

I have a Maxed out 2013 15" retina, and a basic-ish (with 8gb ram) 11" 2013 Air, and the Air is fine for development (it's my work/backpack machine). For software development - you're going to be in a text editor most of the time - and you don't need a quad core i7 for that. Yeah, compilation times are a little longer, but I can live with that.