Should Windows Xp Die?

Should Windows Xp Die?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Should Windows Xp Die?

No, however I don't expect it to be (Regular XP) supported any longer.

As long as someone understands risks and danger's, it's up to them to decide if it should or should not be used.

• 3 weeks later...

I answered no.  I don't use it and wouldn't ever choose to use it.

Frankly thought it was one of Microsoft's worst operating systems - the majority I used were NT systems rather than the 9x line.  It came after Windows 2000 which was very good and before Vista which I really had no trouble (besides the copy time bug) with.

However, for those that it works for, I wouldn't force them to upgrade.

Yes, just like the deceased previous Windows before it.  

so what do you do when you use programs that refuse to work in WIN 7/8/8.1u1 you choose to stay with the OS that works I have a friend that still uses win98se why because the circuit diagram program he uses does not have an win XP or higher OS equivalent nor has any program he's looked at allow him to import all of his saved work (which is roughly 17yrs of diagrams) so telling him to upgrade is a moot point... I've also seen fairly modern laptops (from both Acer and HP) that wont allow themselves to run anything but the OS (Vista,winXP) that was originally installed on them these laptops are still perfectly fine for the job they do hardware wise and quite capable of running win7 but refuse to allow themselves to be updated 

as long as the people who own/run such devices are aware that they are now at more risk and are shown how to mitigate those risks as much as possible then running winXP should not be that big of a problem 

so what do you do when you use programs that refuse to work in WIN 7/8/8.1u1 you choose to stay with the OS that works I have a friend that still uses win98se why because the circuit diagram program he uses does not have an win XP or higher OS equivalent nor has any program he's looked at allow him to import all of his saved work (which is roughly 17yrs of diagrams) so telling him to upgrade is a moot point... I've also seen fairly modern laptops (from both Acer and HP) that wont allow themselves to run anything but the OS (Vista,winXP) that was originally installed on them these laptops are still perfectly fine for the job they do hardware wise and quite capable of running win7 but refuse to allow themselves to be updated 

as long as the people who own/run such devices are aware that they are now at more risk and are shown how to mitigate those risks as much as possible then running winXP should not be that big of a problem 

Run it in a VM on a modern OS.  Best of both worlds.

Seriously what crappy software are you running that won't run in 7 that you NEED to run now adays?  Run it in a VM if you need to or UPGRADE your other software.  I work in healthcare which is one of the slowest to upgrade their software to run on newer OS' and there are always ways to get things to run in 7 or 8.  If you have a software that refuses to move along with the 13 years that XP has had to stagnate its time to dump that software.

XP was GREAT in its day but it has outlived itself and needs to be retired.

Run it in a VM on a modern OS.  Best of both worlds.

Seriously what crappy software are you running that won't run in 7 that you NEED to run now adays?  Run it in a VM if you need to or UPGRADE your other software.  I work in healthcare which is one of the slowest to upgrade their software to run on newer OS' and there are always ways to get things to run in 7 or 8.  If you have a software that refuses to move along with the 13 years that XP has had to stagnate its time to dump that software.

XP was GREAT in its day but it has outlived itself and needs to be retired.

And you think I haven't told him to upgrade I've even cajoled him pleaded with him and nope he wont do it I even showed him 98SE running in a VM and still the answer is no and beside his machine wouldn't run 7 he'd need a new machine yet another thing I've tried talking him into doing he's a stubborn buggar who simply says if it's doing what I need it to do then why should I upgrade so I just leave him alone till he has a problem fix it then try talking him into upgrading again  :| and we go round and round till I give up 

And you think I haven't told him to upgrade I've even cajoled him pleaded with him and nope he wont do it I even showed him 98SE running in a VM and still the answer is no and beside his machine wouldn't run 7 he'd need a new machine yet another thing I've tried talking him into doing he's a stubborn buggar who simply says if it's doing what I need it to do then why should I upgrade so I just leave him alone till he has a problem fix it then try talking him into upgrading again  :| and we go round and round till I give up 

There are many things in this world that if they are working, there is NO reason to buy new or change them.  Computers however...... Not the case.  If your machine is pushing 5 years old..... well youre lucky the hard drive is still running.  I don't understand how your acquaintance can RUN a machine with 98se and still have hardware that it can see and co-operate with.  Thats the thing with computers.  When software is designed it has limitations of its birth that it is born with.  Windows 95 couldn't handle processors or amounts of memory of today's PC, etc.  XP was designed 13 years ago for systems not planned for.  7 and up are designed to better work with these newer hardwares.  Even linux distros have the same issue.  The plowing ahead of 64bit and large memory pools is something that could not have been seen back in XP or 98se days.  I am sure there is software out there that would do the same if not better for him.  I have encountered many users like that, that are just simply to stubborn to learn new or spend the money on something *better* when they think what they have should last them (one of these users being my mother).

His PC if I remember the specs are this

CPU AMD Athlon XP 2700, 1GB ram, 40GB HDD (IDE) and an 64MB GF4 440 and an ancient LPT connected printer which has just gone toes up (he's thinking of replacing it with an B/W laser printer) I've already told him good luck with that you'll either need USB drivers for it or a router which you can use for network connectivity  

I don't think he does to much of the online thing on it mostly just emails to manufacturers for specs on components which he uses in circuit design. He's a great guy just a little stuck in the past 

If it were to die anything that would be using it would die as well.  ATMs, hospital equipment, cars (yes cars), planes (yes those too), dentists and doctors practices, etc.  Die is a very bad way of putting it as it could lead to your death.  You have no clue what that operating system is host to.