new jersey money entitled financial private-school

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,243 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 13:09

A New Jersey teenager is suing her parents, claiming she was kicked out of her home and thus entitled to money for private-school tuition, transportation, room and board.

In a potential precedent-sitting lawsuit, Morris Catholic HS senior Rachel Canning said mom and dad are still financially responsible for her — even after she flew their Lincoln Park coop, two days before her 18th birthday in late October.

The eldest daughter of Sean and Elizabeth Canning said she was forced out, while her parents insist she moved voluntarily.

Both sides are scheduled to appear before a Morristown judge on Tuesday.

Rachel is asking that mom and dad be ordered to immediately pay up for tuition at the 12th-grader’s Morris Catholic HS.

more

#2 Sadelwo

Sadelwo

Neowinian

• 1,080 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 820

Posted 04 March 2014 - 13:32

If you are man or woman enough to walk out the house then you are man or woman enough to fend for yourself. 

#3 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,654 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 14:05

Yup, brat alert. AT MOST I'd give her the 2 days before her 18th birthday, hoping it was a weekend so school tuition would be moot. More likely I'd tell her to tough it out.

#4 Top Qat

Top Qat

Neowinian

• 358 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 3

Posted 04 March 2014 - 14:09

Just another spoilt brat.

Nothing to see here, move along please.

#5 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• 2,792 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 04 March 2014 - 14:16

Unfortunately, she's staying with a friend of hers whose father is a lawyer and is supposedly representing her in this idiotic litigation.  I tell you, for an honor student, she doesn't seem that bright.

#6 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,057 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 15:34

I'd laugh my butt off if they countersued her for the cost of raising her for 18 years. :p

#7 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,291 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 15:41

Spoiled brat and I'd disown her after this, Who sues their family for this sort of thing? I'd be done with that B****.

#8 jwjw1

jwjw1

Neowinian

• 4,437 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 15:57

“I’m a liberal, liberal parent,” Canning pleaded. “I wish I could have grown up in my house. I was tougher on my cops at work than I’ve ever been at my home, that’s for sure.”

nuff said.... :laugh:

#9 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 16:02

nuff said.... :laugh:

Yep. Spoiling your children is a sure-fire way to make sure they will hate you eventually.

#10 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,243 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 23:14

A New Jersey honor student suing her parents in a potentially precedent-setting lawsuit had her motions for financial support, including high school tuition payment, denied Tuesday by a judge who said it would set a bad precedent by setting limits on parenting.

Rachel Canning, 18, of Morris Catholic High School, was denied her requests for child support of $654 a week as well as thousands of dollars in attorney fees and immediate reimbursement of her high school tuition.

Morris County Court Judge Peter Bogaard also ruled that Rachel’s parents must keep her on their health insurance policy and keep status quo on all college savings accounts set up for her.

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=trending

#11 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• 951 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 23:27

A New Jersey honor student suing her parents in a potentially precedent-setting lawsuit had her motions for financial support, including high school tuition payment, denied Tuesday by a judge who said it would set a bad precedent by setting limits on parenting.

Rachel Canning, 18, of Morris Catholic High School, was denied her requests for child support of $654 a week as well as thousands of dollars in attorney fees and immediate reimbursement of her high school tuition.

Morris County Court Judge Peter Bogaard also ruled that Rachel’s parents must keep her on their health insurance policy and keep status quo on all college savings accounts set up for her.

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=trending

The spoiled brat lose her crap... now she can get a McDonald job at $5 a hour to pay back her attorney fees and tuition.

#12 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,243 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 23:29

I hope any potential employers are taking note, and never hire her for any job.

#13 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 4,723 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 23:40

Good for this judge, showed some restraint and common sense.  Young lady may learn something about self entitlement, hopefully.

#14 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,925 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 23:50

The spoiled brat lose her crap... now she can get a McDonald job at $5 a hour to pay back her attorney fees and tuition.

You do know minimum wage is a wee bit more, right?  ;)

I hope any potential employers are taking note, and never hire her for any job.

People make mistakes and even can learn from them.  That is no reason to destroy their life with such an action because they were stupid as a kid.

We need a dislike button here.

#15 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• 951 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 23:51

You do know minimum wage is a wee bit more, right?   ;)

People make mistakes and even can learn from them.  That is no reason to destroy their life with such an action because they were stupid as a kid.

We need a dislike button here.

my bad, yeah $7.25... :rolleyes: