Android Leads Tablet Market at 62%

According to Gartner, Android has captured 62% of the tablet market, overtaking iOS (36%) as the best selling tablet based OS. While Microsoft's Windows OS trails distantly at 2.1%.

Android Grew 127 Percent and Reached the No. 1 Position in 2013
Worldwide sales of tablets to end users reached 195.4 million units in 2013, a 68 percent increase on 2012, according to Gartner, Inc. While sales of iOS tablets grew in the fourth quarter of 2013, iOS's share declined to 36 percent in 2013. The tablet growth in 2013 was fueled by the low-end smaller screen tablet market, and first time buyers; this led Android to become the No. 1 tablet operating system (OS), with 62 percent of the market (see Table 1).

post-429662-0-46887100-1393951911.png

Source [Gartner]

I'm also curious  if this survey differentiates between Windows RT tablets and Windows 8/8.1 Pro tablets, and if that 4 million figure includes both.  I sincerely doubt it. 

Still would like to see a breakdown compared to low end and high end devices.  Doubt that will ever happen though.

All you'd see is that the sub $300 units make up the majority I bet.   Outside of the iPads I doubt many are dropping more than $300-$400 on Android tablets.

And also mini-tablets are probably the bulk as well.

Still would like to see a breakdown compared to low end and high end devices.  Doubt that will ever happen though.

I too would like to see that. As Gartner states, this growth is being driven by the low end, so undoubtedly Apple will still lead the tablet market in profitability and high end sales for some time to come. Still the displacement of Apple as market leader is a huge achievement for Android nonetheless and hopefully will lead to more attention from developers and a better Android tablet experience.

All you'd see is that the sub $300 units make up the majority I bet.

And that is fine as the Nexus tablets are pretty much rated the best Android tablet at their size.  So really its not like several years ago when it meant less money, normally lower end hardware/device.