9 posts in this topic

Sunsetting MetroTwit: all good things must come to an end

We are saddened to announce the end-of-life of the MetroTwit for Desktop and MetroTwit for Windows 8 apps effective immediately.

Due to the

sucks

:/

How depressing.

Why does Twitter have those restrictions?

Grr. I wish I downloaded a copy before they nixed it so unexpectedly. I hope someone posts the install file somewhere for the desktop version.

I'm not a heavy Twitter user, but when I tried it on my old laptop when it was first coming out, I liked it. A bit sad to see it discontinued now.

As a guess, to ensure that it's only their official stuff making money (Twitter's ad partners, etc) and it's done their way or no way.  Yea it's their network but still..  dick move on Twitter's part personally.  Doesn't stop you from doing your own thing for personal use, but effectively puts a stranglehold on third party clients. For example I have a custom program pulling info from multiple sources, Twitter included, and shows the results on a remote display, forwards important stuff to my phone, etc.. doesn't affect that as I'm only using one token, but if you decide to write your own client and want to publish it, it's capped at I think 100K users, which is pretty small as far as Twitter goes.

As far as MetroTwit goes, only toyed with it briefly but it looked really nice.  Shame Twitter squeezed them out.

I think it's to prevent apps from becoming more popular than the official one. It's such a damn shame that they had to discontinue it.

Never saw the big deal about it to be honest.