(Theoretical) Windows on an RPI

Sometimes my mind wanders...

So, If one was to build or buy an RPi how much change would be reqired on it's hardware to install and run any of the windows os's currently a available.

I know the current built in processor and ram wouldn't be sufficient, so out of curiosity, what would be required to build, or rebuild a microcomputer in more or less, the same size of an rpi, and comfortably run 7 or newer?

In theory it would be the same size box as the rpi..

(Just curious about the possibility..)

(Sorry, posting from my phone and I don't have the patience to go into more detail here, so I'll answer any questions in later posts)

Sometimes my mind wanders...

So, If one was to build or buy an RPi how much change would be reqired on it's hardware to install and run any of the windows os's currently a available.

I know the current built in processor and ram wouldn't be sufficient, so out of curiosity, what would be required to build, or rebuild a microcomputer in more or less, the same size of an rpi, and comfortably run 7 or newer?

In theory it would be the same size box as the rpi..

(Just curious about the possibility..)

(Sorry, posting from my phone and I don't have the patience to go into more detail here, so I'll answer any questions in later posts)

Well, the CPU would probably be a big factor, you need certain versions of Windows for anything ARM based.  You might be able to find a SOC that's not ARM but wouldn't be super cheap. Would need USB Ports (for HDD), At minimum 1gb ram (thought 1.5 would be better), would need an ethernet port or a wireless chip/adpater natively compatible.  You would need a graphics chip that is also natively supported or has a custom driver written for windows (of whatever version you pick).   

Essentially.. you would need the board from a Windows 8 tablet or Windows 7 tablet.  You would then have to re-size the board, compress components, etc.

• Like 1

You're best off going with an Intel NUC as soon as you mention Windows in a small box: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html

An RPi won't run Windows full stop. It's slow just running a basic Linux GUI. I bought one to turn it into a SNES emulator, however it even struggles running that (while a Pentium II does the job perfectly).

If you want to stick with ARM, there are better options available than an RPi, but they'll cost more. You can research about the latest platforms via Google or uk.farnell.com.

• Like 1

You can run Windows on an RPi but you'll be restricted to one of the old Windows Mobile incarnations, and even then you'd have a hard job porting even a similar BSP and driver packages over (painful memories of Platform Builder).  Best hope would be a command-line if anything at all.

• Like 1