Amy Hennig out at Naughty Dog

IGN reports that Amy Hennig, the lead writer and creative director on the Uncharted series, has left developers Naughty Dog.

Having originally reported "trusted sources" as saying she had been "forced out" of the company by Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley, the site has since updated with confirmation of her departure by a Sony rep.

"We can confirm that Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog", the statement says. "Amy has made significant contributions to the game industry and we appreciate all she has done for Naughty Dog. The development timeline of Uncharted will not be impacted."

http://kotaku.com/uncharted-writer-leaves-naughty-dog-1536681820

Your move Crystal Dynamics.  Do it. You know you want to.

• Like 2

Thought it was funny how other forums saw this as such a big deal. She was the lead writer on a series that while it is EASILY one of my favorite series from the PS3, had the suspense and narrative of something written by a competent 8th grader. I am sure the two dudes from the Last Of Us, who were also heavily involved in Uncharted as well, will do just fine on their own.

• Like 2

It's a big deal because of the Legacy of Kain series still has a large cult following in the gaming communities, both PC and console.

• Like 3

It's a big deal because of the Legacy of Kain series still has a large cult following in the gaming communities, both PC and console.

How is that a big deal for Naugthy Dogs themselves though? That is what I meant by making it a big deal, people were trying to say somehow the quality of Uncharted would suffer, and I just do not see how that could be the case when the quality of Uncharted was nothing all that special to begin with. It was pretty much typical action adventure stuff.

If it is a big deal she is now free to do other stuff that is fine, I never played that series so do not know a thing about it. I just do not see it being a big deal for the quality of Naughty Dog's products, as the gameplay was always at the forefront for them in the Uncharted series. Last Of Us was the more story driven game they are known for, which she had no involvement with.

ND respond

Earlier this week we had to confirm the regrettable news that Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog. She will be missed and, as we stated before, we appreciate the significant contributions that she has made to Naughty Dog and the industry in general. We wish her the best.

However, we feel it necessary to clear up a very important point that was unprofessionally misreported when the story broke. Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann were NOT involved in what transpired. It was very upsetting to us that dozens of stories were run, linking back to the same hurtful accusations in the original report. As co-presidents of Naughty Dog, we are responsible for all studio affairs.

Normally, we wouldn?t respond to rumors and speculation on matters that are internal to Naughty Dog, but because the personal reputation of two of our employees is being damaged we needed to set the record straight. There is nothing left to be said on this subject. Now we?re going back to what we should be focused on ? making games.

?Amy?s one of my favorite people,? he noted. ? love Amy. How can you not love Amy, right? [she was] an amazing contributor to Naughty Dog and PlayStation. I?m always going to have the deepest admiration for her. But things change, and sometimes change involves very high profile individuals. That?s all that?s happened here. There?s nothing else. There?s no more to dig at.?

Pressed for more information on the fact that Hennig was seemingly fired ? our sources note that she didn?t leave on her own accord ? Rohde said that he?s ?never going to agree with the term ?pushed out?? when it comes to Hennig.

with someone as talented as her i am sure we will see her pop up somewhere soon attached to another fantastic game.

• Like 1

She's fine I'm sure, just hope there are no hard feelings between them, clearly they were all friends and had a long and fruitful relationship. Shame if that ended in a negative way. Wish her all the best.

h5f2RCa.jpg

Doesn't explain why she left but does kind of shed more light what happened.

You know, her twitter post brings up a great point.

It seems like now anyone can just pop onto the popular internet hot spots, start a rumor, and create a huge backlash. It then forces the person involved to 'come out' and 'answer the charges'. Its quite ridiculous. Let these people have their privacy for goodness sake. Its sad that she has to divulge this stuff simply because someone decide to start a rumor for whatever reason.

Places like NeoGAF, reddit, 4chan, etc are huge targets for people to try and use to start something.

Rumors have been part of human life since there were two humans on the planet. They're just rumors, either to be ignored or enjoyed. Never to be taken as more than rumor. Now we live in better days so people have more time and access, and also care more about things, so stuff gets blown out of proportion. I'm not losing sleep over why Hennig quit ND. I'm sure she's a great person and am grateful for her contributions and hard work, she gave us lots of enjoyment via the Uncharted series. But why she left is up to her to share or not.

• 2 weeks later...