Sony America CEO Jack Tretton Steps Down

Jack Tretton steps down as CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America

Jack Tretton has stepped down as CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America, the company announced today, the "result of a mutual agreement between Mr. Tretton and SCEA not to renew their contractual relationship."

"Working at SCEA for the past 19 years has been the most rewarding experience of my career," said Tretton in a release. "Although I will deeply miss the talented team at SCEA and the passion demonstrated every day by our fans, I'm very excited about starting the next chapter of my career. I want to thank the employees, partners and customers for their tireless commitment to the PlayStation brand and, of course, to our fans who have pushed us to new heights of innovation and entertainment over the past two decades. I leave PlayStation in a position of considerable strength and the future will only get brighter for PlayStation Nation."

Source: Polygon

Sony America CEO Jack Tretton Steps Down

nvlchvkhkluxtxfbwe6b.jpg

Sony America boss Jack Tretton has stepped down, the company announced today. His last day will be on March 31.

"This is a result of a mutual agreement between Mr. Tretton and SCEA not to renew their contractual relationship," Sony said in a press release. Tretton had been with Sony since 1995, and he'd been president of Sony's American division since 2006.

"Working at SCEA for the past 19 years has been the most rewarding experience of my career," Tretton said in the statement. "Although I will deeply miss the talented team at SCEA and the passion demonstrated every day by our fans, I'm very excited about starting the next chapter of my career. I want to thank the employees, partners and customers for their tireless commitment to the PlayStation brand and, of course, to our fans who have pushed us to new heights of innovation and entertainment over the past two decades. I leave PlayStation in a position of considerable strength and the future will only get brighter for PlayStation Nation."

Source: Kotaku

S-S-S-S-S-S-Simulpost!!! :D

• Like 2

Wow, kind of surprising thing to happen without warning. Wonder what happened.

Wish him the best though, he has done a good job at Sony. Wonder if he will take time off or jump right into another job.

Maybe he wants to work for himself in another business... he probably was making millions a year and he can afford to make his own little business until he retire.

I commented on Gaf how I thought it was absolutely ridiculous so many people immediately went into panic mode and automatically assume something is dreadfully wrong with Sony.

This is (part of) what I posted there...

...Japanese culture is also much different than American culture. They are big on tradition. American CEO's are big on opportunity. Big difference, even if it is a Japanese based company.

Do not get me wrong, there may have very well been some behind the scenes drama, but as I said there is no need for panic just because an American who is a CEO has announced they are moving on from a large corporation. And again as I stated, that is in fact an anomaly that he was there as long as he was.

So I stand by the belief this is truly no need for thinking anything is wrong. I do believe he was in fact an anomaly for being CEO of a company, even if it is a Japanese based company, for so damn long. He probably either wanted a change and/or felt it was a good time to leave as it would make him more attractive to his next potential employer considering that right now the PS4 launch is in fact considered a success.
  • Like 1

It does seem, from the suddenness and the way it's worded that he got "fired."  And by that I mean that it wasn;t his decision to leave but given no other choice he left gracefully.  If that's the case then something must've spurred it.  Odd considering how well the PS4 is doing.

I commented on Gaf how I thought it was absolutely ridiculous so many people immediately went into panic mode and automatically assume something is dreadfully wrong with Sony.

This is (part of) what I posted there...

So I stand by the belief this is truly no need for thinking anything is wrong. I do believe he was in fact an anomaly for being CEO of a company, even if it is a Japanese based company, for so damn long. He probably either wanted a change and/or felt it was a good time to leave as it would make him more attractive to his next potential employer considering that right now the PS4 launch is in fact considered a success.

Yup, no different to Robbie Bach or Moore leaving MS last gen. Some of them just hit the wall of what they want to accomplish in gaming I think and others do it for personal reasons. A big part of why Moore left MS was to be with his family in another state IIRC and he was able to do that at EA (besides being a huge sports nut).

I wouldn't be surprised if Tretton went to one of the big TV companies like Samsung or the like.

Typical the moment I start to like him he leaves :rofl:

It does seem, from the suddenness and the way it's worded that he got "fired."  And by that I mean that it wasn;t his decision to leave but given no other choice he left gracefully.  If that's the case then something must've spurred it.  Odd considering how well the PS4 is doing.

It is sudden to the rest of the world, could have been going on for months for all we know.

And that honestly sounds like a whole lot of speculation and reading between the lines if you are also reading this, which was his official statement...

PlayStation Nation,

It is with mixed feelings that I inform you that I will be stepping down as President and CEO of SCEA effective March 31, 2014. This is a result of a mutual agreement with SCEA, and I leave knowing that the PlayStation brand has never been stronger, PlayStation 4 momentum continues to accelerate, and the future will only get brighter for our gamers.
Serving PlayStation fans for the past 19 years has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my career. Your passion for gaming inspired me every day.

I want to thank you for constantly pushing PlayStation to deliver breakthrough gaming and entertainment experiences, and to never settle for ?good enough.? The embodiment of this commitment can be found in the PS4, which has quickly become the #1 next-gen console worldwide?thanks to you.

We?ve shared many memories over the past two decades and I?ll always be grateful for your support.

Thank you,

Jack Tretton

The only two things I see that could potentially make one think he was fired are the statements...

1. "With mixed feelings" - Is really just a politically correct way of stating he is not saying he is neither happy or sad, which is a smart business move. If you say I am happy to be leaving, you come off as ungrateful, and if you say you are not happy to be leaving, it sounds as if you were forced out. he does neither which was no doubt on purpose. 
  2. "Mutual Agreement" - Could mean he told them he wants to move on and they said okay. Could be they wanted to fire him and he said okay. No way to know until more info is released.

Everything else is typical I am leaving this company now and want to say thank you to everyone that supported us and not much else. All these words were carefully examined by some PR person i can assure you, so they are very much vague on purpose so there really is no definitive proof one way or the other why he is in fact leaving.

It is sudden to the rest of the world, could have been going on for months for all we know.

And that honestly sounds like a whole lot of speculation and reading between the lines if you are also reading this, which was his official statement...

The only two things I see that could potentially make one think he was fired are the statements...

1. "With mixed feelings" - Is really just a politically correct way of stating he is not saying he is neither happy or sad, which is a smart business move. If you say I am happy to be leaving, you come off as ungrateful, and if you say you are not happy to be leaving, it sounds as if you were forced out. he does neither which was no doubt on purpose. 
  2. "Mutual Agreement" - Could mean he told them he wants to move on and they said okay. Could be they wanted to fire him and he said okay. No way to know until more info is released.

Everything else is typical I am leaving this company now and want to say thank you to everyone that supported us and not much else. All these words were carefully examined by some PR person i can assure you, so they are very much vague on purpose so there really is no definitive proof one way or the other why he is in fact leaving.

True...  I guess it's human nature to try to figure out what's going on even when it could be something completely from left field.  Still I would've thought he'd be riding high on the PS4 wave.

The thing about the Japanese theory you propose is that he's being replaced by another American.  I understand what you're saying, however, as I also work for a big Japanese company.

Goodnight sweet prince

tumblr_m9g3cyeZi11rf1ia7o1_500.png

iRsRqd8sp7Kbj.gif

In all seriousness, just helped launch one of the most successful Sony product launches in a while. Maybe he felt this wasn't going to happen again and wanted to go out on a high note.

Really likeable guy in recent years, clearly cared for the gaming industry. In one of his recent interviews with Geoff Keighley I'm sure it was he says he has a passion for TV shows, quoting Breaking Bad and others. Maybe he will move into the TV and movie industry now.

Message from Jack on the PSBlog - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/06/a-message-from-jack-tretton/

1: "With mixed feelings" - dieinafire

2: "Mutual Agreement" - I'll get my coat

Makes no sense, considering the successful launch, but that's how you say "F*&% You" politely. No?

Really no idea, just my initial feeling.

Unfortunately the ps4 is the ONLY bright spot right now for sony.  The mobile part is doing good but it got brought down by being coupled with pcs.  1.1 Billion loss is never good or having to layoff 5000 people.

Someone posted this on GAF which is reasonable speculation I guess. No more crazy than any other theory...

If you think about it...

Tretton was appointed CEO of SCEA back in 06/07 when Kaz became the president of SCE after Ken Kutaragi was forced to step down. Around the same time House became president of SCEE when Phil Harrison was promoted to be president of the recently created SCE WWS.

2 years ago, kaz was appointed new Sony's CEO, and i think both Tretton and House were the candidates to succeed him as SCE's new CEO.

House was chosen and that ended any chance of tretton promoting higher within the company.

I think Tretton decided long time ago to leave the company, but not before the launch of the PS4. Now that PS4 had an amazing start is the best time to leave and let a new CEO design the strategy for next decade.

iRsRqd8sp7Kbj.gif

lol. What's this all about? Did he lose his temper with the interviewer or is throwing the mic over his shoulder his take on Chris Rock's mic drop?

iRsRqd8sp7Kbj.gif

lol. What's this all about? Did he lose his temper with the interviewer or is throwing the mic over his shoulder his take on Chris Rock's mic drop?

Quick google search.. it was an on-purpose deliberate "Drop the mic" thing.

^ lol. OK.

It's probably worth noting that the majority of gamers/consumers probably don't know who the ###### Jack Tretton is so it's not like consumers are going to abandon Sony because they CEO steps down. Now I suppose they have to find a suitable and competent replacement.

Someone posted this on GAF which is reasonable speculation I guess. No more crazy than any other theory...

Andrew House seems to have better ties in Japan. He can speak Japanese fluently which obviously comes in handy when making deals over there never mind internal comms. Not sure Jack can. He also has 5 years on Tretton at Sony.

There's no way you fire the guy who has helped launch 4 of the most successful consoles ever made though :laugh: Some people just want to make it a drama.

Andrew House seems to have better ties in Japan. He can speak Japanese fluently which obviously comes in handy when making deals over there never mind internal comms. Not sure Jack can. He also has 5 years on Tretton at Sony.

There's no way you fire the guy who has helped launch 4 of the most successful consoles ever made though :laugh: Some people just want to make it a drama.

Yeah I don't think Jack can speak Japanese. Nah he won't of been fired, I think the above theory is pretty sound. Heck one of Sony's defining moments was Jack delivering that non-DRM pitch at e3 2013. He probably left knowing he couldn't top that E3 again! lol

I love how Jack Tretton leaving is somehow a sign of Sony's demise, not the fact that they're laying off thousands of people, or selling off their laptop division, or closing 20 of their 31 stores in the US, or shuttering the original HQ building in Japan. Sony's got issues, but my guess is Jack Tretton is looking for something else (probably due to what AB posted).

Not a bad theory at all.

It reminds me of MS' CEO search.

Once they picked Nadella, Tony Bates decided to move on for similar reasons.

It's probably worth noting that the majority of gamers/consumers probably don't know who the #### Jack Tretton is so it's not like consumers are going to abandon Sony because they CEO steps down. Now I suppose they have to find a suitable and competent replacement.

I agree, but the online community loves to overreact to news like this, just as they did with the recent MS shuffling of people.

As someone who has been a consumer since the first Playstation, all I can say is this: Who?!?! Im kidding. I know who he is. I've heard the name. But frankly, it means nothing to me that he's leaving. I wish him the best though.