Formula 1 World Championship 2014 Season Discussion

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the 2014 World Driver's Championship?

• Sebastian Vettel
    • Daniel Ricciardo
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Kimi Raikkonen
    • Romain Grosjean
    • Pastor Maldonado
    • Jenson Button
    • Kevin Magnussen
    • Nico Hulkenberg
    • Sergio Perez
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Esteban Gutierrez
    • Jean-Eric Vergne
    • Daniil Kvyat
    • Felipe Massa
    • Valterri Bottas
    • Jules Bianchi
    • Max Chilton
    • Kamui Kobayashi
    • Marcus Ericsson
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the World Constructor's Championship?

• Infiniti Red Bull Racing
    • Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    • Scuderia Ferrari
    • Lotus F1 Team
    • McLaren Mercedes
    • Sahara Force India F1 Team
    • Sauber F1 Team
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso
    • Williams Martini Racing
    • Marussia F1 Team
    • Caterham F1 Team

Nice to see the FIA have their priorities straight.

Pit crew error that had nothing to do with you: Ten-place grid penalty. (Ricciardo)

T-bone another driver on the track and send him rolling: Five-place grid penalty. (Maldonado)

The FIA doesn't mess around when it comes to safety. Ricciardo obviously wasn't to blame but unsafe pit releases are a serious safety risk, both to drivers and spectators, and are punished severely. It's very difficult to punish the team without also punishing the driver. While a grid-place penalty is harsh it's not considered as harsh as deducting constructors' points, conversely fines simply aren't effective against wealthy teams like Red Bull.

The grid-place penalty for Ricciardo was harsh but in line with previous punishments for the same offence.

What a race! Great wheel to wheel driving between Rosberg and Hamilton - but Lewis was supreme...great battle!

Maldonado should be banned ... period!! This isn't the first (or last) time he has caused an accident like that. Incidentally, the only reason Gutierrez flipped over is because of the low nose ... they're not safe!

Another great drive from Ricciardo .. but a fantastic race from start to finish!

A word to those thinking 'Mercedes GP only profit from their engine, their aerodynamics are worse than those of the Red Bull': Both Mercedes cars were ~1.5 s a lap faster when they had to than the rest of the field - other Mercedes-powered cars included. And they're not going to stop developing the aero yet either.

It's highly unlikely for any other team to catch up with Mercedes anytime soon this season.

the race was great, but it has also shown why rosberg will never be a world champion. too soft and weak in a wheel to wheel battle, with the softer and faster tire he should have done it against hamilton.

as close as the race on track was, the wcc standings show all - mercedes is much more superior to what redbull ever was the last few years. if they keep the reliability and survive monaco they might win every other race too.

Really awesome, top quality race. Great to see Lewis and Nico being allowed to race, not being told to just hold position.

A quick note on the low noses - they're there to make T-bones safer, so instead of having the nose slam into the side of the cockpit it'll hit the base of it. Yes it might flip over, which looks scarier, but it's actually safer as F1 cars aren't designed to withstand side-on impacts. The hard-points are on the front and on the roll hoop.

Maldonado is still out of control though.

A quick note on the low noses - they're there to make T-bones safer, so instead of having the nose slam into the side of the cockpit it'll hit the base of it. Yes it might flip over, which looks scarier, but it's actually safer as F1 cars aren't designed to withstand side-on impacts. The hard-points are on the front and on the roll hoop.

It's not safer if the car lands on its roof and there's a fire / electrical issue. The new noses don't seem to be helping safety, just shifting the problem elsewhere.

Such an epic race, on the edge of my seat for a lot of that.

Man of the Race: Merc for letting Hamilton and Rosberg have a good race but making sure they are aware and bring it home.

Reject...lets not even go there...

Though to counter i11usive's point I don't think it was the nose....need to see it onboard from Maldanado to be sure, but I think its actually the front left wheel of Maldanado that does it, its wobbling slightly after and bent further over to the left as we look at it, also the launch point of Gutierrez is actually quite far back on the car, again making me think wheel not nose.

MALDONADO-SMASH.gif

Gut onboard:

gutierrez-gif.gif

Source: http://wtf1.co.uk/maldonado-gutierrez-crash-gif/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=maldonado-gutierrez-crash-gif

Such an epic race, on the edge of my seat for a lot of that.

Man of the Race: Merc for letting Hamilton and Rosberg have a good race but making sure they are aware and bring it home.

Reject...lets not even go there...

Though to counter i11usive's point I don't think it was the nose....need to see it onboard from Maldanado to be sure, but I think its actually the front left wheel of Maldanado that does it, its wobbling slightly after and bent further over to the left as we look at it, also the launch point of Gutierrez is actually quite far back on the car, again making me think wheel not nose.

Gut onboard:

*snip*

Source: http://wtf1.co.uk/maldonado-gutierrez-crash-gif/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=maldonado-gutierrez-crash-gif

He flipped because the Gutierrez's rear tyre touched Maldonado's front tyre.

Sky did a virtual view and you could see the tyres touched first and caused it.

Thank god it was on a slow corner as the flip looked quite violent at them speeds.

Tell you what, if the season is going to have one team dominate, I'd rather it be like this where both drivers are competing wheel to wheel like this rather than one running away with it all.

• Like 2

Just reading news that Stefano Domenicali is stepping down as Ferrari Team Principal

Source

Yep - paying for Ferrari's failure .. it was only a matter of time before heads rolled

Red Bull lose appeal against Australian GP disqualification

Red Bull have lost their appeal against Daniel Ricciardo?s disqualification from the Australian Grand Prix following a hearing of the FIA Court of Appeal in Paris.

The FIA issued a statement saying: ?The Court, after having heard the parties and examined their submissions, decided to uphold the decision number 56 of the Stewards by which they decided to exclude Infiniti Red Bull Racing?s car number three from the results of the 2014 Australian Grand Prix.

The International Court of Appeal was presided over by Mr Harry Duijm (Netherlands), and included Mr Rui Botica Santos (Portugal), Mr Philippe Narmino (Monaco), Mr Antonio Rigozzi (Switzerland) and Mr Jan Stovicek (Czech Republic).?

An FIA Court of Appeal was convened yesterday in Paris to hear Red Bull?s appeal.

A full reasoning for the verdict is expected to be published later this week.

Source: F1 Fanatic

None:

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Interesting. The way it was put forward is Red Bull would not be happy at all if they lost.

I suppose we'll have to wait till the end of the week to find out more technical reasons why it was rejected.

lol the skysports commentators are so in love with hamilton he better wins it this year given the immense car advantage and weak teammate he enjoys.