Photo

Confused: afraid of chrome, nostalgic to opera......solution?

chrome opera

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:09

Confused....

I am afraid of privacy issues of chrome.so, I thought chrommium is the answer, being open source.Yet, the sync feature I like is logging to google servers my history and bookmarks, so I think chrommium might not be the right answer

On the other hand I feel quite nostalgic to opera which I used from version 6xxxto 12xxx on the move to Webkit base.I saw the most recent chrome based version and I think it might be ok.

IE is not an option.FF doesn't feel right to me (psychologically) and even 64bit cyberfox didn't really impress me.

Which would you prefer?

#2 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:20

What privacy issues? The automated spidering of your data to issue targeted ads in your browser searches and gmail interface? Just FYI everyone does this, MS, Yahoo, Google, etc. No one is reading your e-mails....

#3 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 Black + WP8.1 Black

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:26

Use Tor?

#4 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:43

The history and bookmark syncing can be enabled on Chromium also. That stuff is stored encrypted using your account password anyway (or and old password if you changed your account password after encrypting) so you should be safe in that regard (with either Chrome or Chromium).

#5 +ians18

ians18

Neowin's Best

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 521 on T-mo w/ WP 8.1 & Lumia "Black" firmware

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:56

Just don't sign into Chrome AND Google search Always logs your queries so disable that (on any browser). Use incognito if you have to, a VPN, a screen privacy cover, and store every document on external flashdrives that you keep locked in a safe. Seriously don't worry.

#6 wahoospa

wahoospa

Neowinian

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:20

I'm using Opera 20 and every time I go to a few sites on the internet I get google cookies. I had everything cleared when I went online a few minutes ago and the only places I went was to ARSTechnica, FoxNews, and Neowin. I just checked my cookies and there was these cookies. The cookies are: google-analytics.com, google.com, www.google.com, googleadservices.com, ajax.googleapis.com, fonts.googleapis.com, and googleusercontent.com.

#7 OP medhunter

medhunter

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:26

the purpose of this topic is to choose between Chrommium and Opera

What privacy issues? The automated spidering of your data to issue targeted ads in your browser searches and gmail interface? Just FYI everyone does this, MS, Yahoo, Google, etc. No one is reading your e-mails....

That spidering.you can't say I fully trust x company 

Use Tor?

Pretty relevant.Might get it a go.But I think it requires a non lazy person

The history and bookmark syncing can be enabled on Chromium also. That stuff is stored encrypted using your account password anyway (or and old password if you changed your account password after encrypting) so you should be safe in that regard (with either Chrome or Chromium).

So, Chrommium has no liability in this point.

Still no one said anything about opera.It should inherit all chrome properties, so why not?

I'm using Opera 20 and every time I go to a few sites on the internet I get google cookies. I had everything cleared when I went online a few minutes ago and the only places I went was to ARSTechnica, FoxNews, and Neowin. I just checked my cookies and there was these cookies. The cookies are: google-analytics.com, google.com, www.google.com, googleadservices.com, ajax.googleapis.com, fonts.googleapis.com, and googleusercontent.com.

So, you are prefering what : chrommium or opera?

#8 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:32

I don't think any option is going to please you...

#9 ncc50446

ncc50446

Engage!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android AOKP 4.0.4

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:35

Opera with Blink (WebKit), has come a long ways..Still prefer Opera 12.**, but Opera 21 developer is alright..I prefer it to Chrome (Opera is my main browser)

#10 OP medhunter

medhunter

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:45

I don't think any option is going to please you...

so, which browser?

I may seem to need someone just to tell me opera is better because of (.....) to emphasize my decision.But this is wrong, I am open to all options

Opera with Blink (WebKit), has come a long ways..Still prefer Opera 12.**, but Opera 21 developer is alright..I prefer it to Chrome (Opera is my main browser)

Why prefer opera?  plz, elaborate

#11 ncc50446

ncc50446

Engage!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android AOKP 4.0.4

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:56

In all honestly, it's all because of the easy search..(Without use of addons)

Search wiki = w Battlestar Galactica

Search Google = g Battlestar Galactica (Assuming it's not default, then just search without the g)

I also setup custom searches

Search Google Images = gi Battlestar Galactica

Other than that, all browsers are the same..They all display sites, have the same basic options.

Plus, it's also habit lol

#12 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:40

so, which browser?

I am open to all options

Internet Explorer if you're a Windows user, Google Chrome or Chromium if you are not.

#13 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:52

Can you provide a source? My understanding is Chrome doesn't encrypt more than passwords by default on syncing.

Not sure why this isn't a privacy issue... Feeding the data to algorithms is reading... But I won't pull the topic toward the thorny topic of privacy and the value of information...

On topic: If you are privacy conscious the only browser that is safe to use really is Firefox. You can even point its sync storage to your own server you control.

#14 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:07

Can you provide a source? My understanding is Chrome doesn't encrypt more than passwords by default on syncing.

See bullet 4 here: https://support.goog...r/1181035?hl=en During the initial setup with your account it will ask you which you want to do and you can later change the option in chromes settings (or sync/unsync specific types of information).

Note: when I set this up on my account, it was when it was first added years ago. At the time, you couldn't use a separate passphrase iirc.

Not sure why this isn't a privacy issue... Feeding the data to algorithms is reading... But I won't pull the topic toward the thorny topic of privacy and the value of information...

On topic: If you are privacy conscious the only browser that is safe to use really is Firefox. You can even point its sync storage to your own server you control.

The browser isn't really the part with the most privacy concerns in practice. If you use an account with any search engine, they are recording your searches and activity and that's far more invasive than what any browser does. That's what I don't really get about the browser privacy concerns. People opt to use potentially safer browsers (in terms of privacy), yet continue to use the very same accounts and things they were using prior. It kind of reminds me of the idea of security through obscurity, except in this case people think they are safe in terms of privacy when they aren't.

It's a moot point if people aren't being diligent and going the full 9 yards to secure themselves from being snooped (read as: more than just a token effort). If people are then it is perfectly understandable though.

#15 +CrossCheck

CrossCheck

i am a retarded disfigured clown

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:09

it doesn't matter what browser you are using, no matter what country you live in. your goverment is already tracking where you are going, what you are reading and writing on the internet so you shouldn't be worried about google tracking your internet experience