Confused: afraid of chrome, nostalgic to opera......solution?

• 1 month later...

Honestly worrying about cookies is something people did 10 years ago. Don't worry about the cookies. Install adblock plus and go about your business. Don't use a google account to save bookmarks. I use x-marks and lastpass to manage all that simply because it's cross platform. I don't want a firefox account, opera account, and google account that aren't compatible with each other just for saving bookmarks. 

Everything is very commercialized these days though, it's true... especially on mobile where it's not as easy to just block all the ads. The website compression services offered by google and opera effectively break ad blocking, which is why they are freely provided and encouraged. 

it doesn't matter what browser you are using, no matter what country you live in. your goverment is already tracking where you are going, what you are reading and writing on the internet so you shouldn't be worried about google tracking your internet experience

Tinfoil hat engaged... because the government cares about your daily activity... lol

OP, use Chrome, let Google's bots spider your history an e-mail so it can provide targeted advertizing and in return generate revenue to provide you with free services, E-mail, Search, Browser, Docs, etc, etc etc. 

Tinfoil hat engaged... because the government cares about your daily activity... lol

Well they don't until you commit a serious crime.  It still doesn't negate the fact that there's always a paper trail of everything you do on the internet.  Everything should be used to that fact though.

I am afraid of privacy issues of chrome.so, I thought chrommium is the answer, being open source.Yet, the sync feature I like is logging to google servers my history and bookmarks, so I think chrommium might not be the right answer

My, my. All these 'privacy issues' regarding Chrome has been blown way out of proportion for years now, and the SRWare Iron author doesn't help with his scare tactics to scare people into using his software for issues that really don't exist.

Read this: http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/06/23/srware-iron-browser-a-real-private-alternative-to-chrome-21/

SRWare Iron is a scam, plain and simple. It's scareware. As for the Sync feature in Chromium it's optional like in Chrome. Set a decent passphrase for Sync and Google can't 'read' the data as it's been encrypted with that sync passphrase server-side - I don't think Google cares enough to in the first place, who knows. If you want a 'secure' third-party solution, maybe Xmarks is for you? Paranoia about Google spying on us blinds people to the potential and probable fact that EVERYONE is spying on us - governments (e.g. the NSA), Microsoft, Mozilla, etc. and God knows what else thanks to exploitation with things like Heartbleed. Nothing's private or 100% secure on the internet.

Chromium would actually be my first recommendation, then Firefox and then maybe Maxthon in this case.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, what Boo said, way too much misinformed paranoia in here, just use the browser that works best for you and get over the other non issues 

• 4 months later...