Photo

good hardware for ESXi server

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 the-kevster

the-kevster

Neowinian

Posted 11 March 2014 - 22:30

I've been running ESX servers for 6 years at home (sadly).  I've always used HP desktops.  The quality is brilliant as they're built to the same standards as their servers.

I've had an EPC40, a couple of DC7700s, and now an 8200 Elite SFF which can take up-to 32GB of RAM.  It'll run for the next 3+ years.  You can pick them up cheap(er) on ebay with a year or so warranty left on them too.

#32 Squuiid

Squuiid

Neowinian

Posted 14 March 2014 - 22:16

I've been running ESX servers for 6 years at home (sadly).  I've always used HP desktops.  The quality is brilliant as they're built to the same standards as their servers.

I've had an EPC40, a couple of DC7700s, and now an 8200 Elite SFF which can take up-to 32GB of RAM.  It'll run for the next 3+ years.  You can pick them up cheap(er) on ebay with a year or so warranty left on them too.

Would you still buy HP now that they require support contracts for firmware updates?
I would definitely not. Firmware updates are to fix hardware BUGS which should not have been there in the 1st place. Charging for fixes like these is a rip-off IMO.

Stick with Dell/Lenovo

#33 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 March 2014 - 21:23

Thank you for spending my money, I just bought 2 :)

#34 OP atomicrabbit

atomicrabbit

Neowinian

Posted 17 March 2014 - 17:10

I'm not specifically looking to get an HP because of the info that Squuiid mentioned about support contracts with HP, but I'm curious, what do you have in the 8200? i5/i7? How much RAM? What kind of HDD setup? And how much did you spend on it?  I'm more interested in how much power I'll need to run a few VMs on an ESXi server. The intel NUCs are interesting, but buying multiple could get pricier than buying a single tower with decent specs.