Your observations on Windows 8.1 update 1 (a.k.a. Feature Pack)

snip

There have been many shifts in computing UIs that the consumer never asked for, in fact, consumers haven't asked for much, if anything, in the history of computing development. Consumers never asked for ProgMan, consumers never asked for the Start Menu, they never asked for the desktop, they never asked for the taskbar, they never asked for the Ribbon UI, and they never asked for Start Screen, either, but not sure why that's an attack point. THere is nothing wrong with the Start Screen at all, just people refusing to learn new things.

Edited by zhangm

THere is nothing wrong with the Start Screen at all, just people refusing to learn new things.

Are we still riding the "people are afraid of change" line? Consumers have voted, the Start screen stinks, try again MS.

Then stay on Windows 7 or whatever it is you run then. You're missing out on a ton of better features.

I think you've lost your arguments regarding Windows 8...considering that Microsoft has started to backtrack on everything you said they wouldn't.

Edited by zhangm
  • Like 1

They added back a menu, but so what? It's based off live tiles. They have windowed apps, but so what? They're metro based.

Not sure where you're getting that Microsoft is back tracking with anything. Taking a different route!= backtracking.

Metro isn't going anywhere.

Has anyone figured out the registry key (if any) to disable the title bar. Update 1 is not so great on my Surface, although it is OK on my desktop. The search button is nice, but there is no power button on my Surface (how inconsistent!!) They should just integrate the power button into the user tile with a drop down arrow indicating it is clickable, plus the search button should be optional or integrated with the user tile.

Another thing that really annoys me is that when the start button is clicked, the taskbar stays in view after it goes to the Start screen (covers up the all apps button) plus the taskbar looks ancient on the start screen. Anyway to disable that???

Also when you move your mouse to the top of a modern UI app it no longer changes to a grab hand cursor that indicates you can drag the app. This is doesn't help people that didn't know you could do that.

Another thing that really annoys me is that when the start button is clicked, the taskbar stays in view after it goes to the Start screen (covers up the all apps button) plus the taskbar looks ancient on the start screen. Anyway to disable that???

Taksbar properties > [uncheck] Show Windows Store apps on taskbar. Is that on your Surface? It shouldn't have been like that by default.

Taksbar properties > [uncheck] Show Windows Store apps on taskbar. Is that on your Surface? It shouldn't have been like that by default.

Yes it is on my Surface, enabled by default. I turned it off, but when I click the start button on the desktop and keep my mouse there, the taskbar still overlays the Start screen. Once I move my cursor away the taskbar disappears and doesn't come back. Must be a glitch, they rushed this update too fast. 

I also noticed under networks you can now right click a network again to forget a network and there is a "view connection settings" at the top that takes you to PC settings. I think they should put that at the bottom. You can now manage known networks from the PC settings network.

For IE 11 the tabs and favorites buttons are both shown at the same time taking up space for the URL bar. (Ugh) Under the menu bar on the desktop IE 11 and the file tab has it always had an open in immersive browser button?

Lastly I see the reading mode in IE 11 has now changed to a dark blue button that says "Read"

where's the power button on the start screen, I have all the other new features but that.

You don't get it if you are on the surface or tablet only desktop  and laptops with out touch gets it

Installed the update on my laptop, a pretty painless procedure. I created a recovery disc just in case I don't like the update.

So far:

Turned off Boot to Desktop 30 seconds after the install finished. I want my program options front & center. Unchecked Show Store apps on the taskbar as well.

The taskbar remains momentarily when I switch away from the desktop, but doesn't intrude after that. Good if you accidentally left the desktop, I guess. I can live with it.

There seems to be no way to remove the superfluous titlebar on the Modern apps yet. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update. At the very least it shouldn't be invoked when you put the mouse in the top right corner. I don't want a stray click to close the app when I'm trying to bring up the Charms bar.

The laptop seems more responsive after the update. With all the focus on the cosmetic stuff, it's nice to see some enhancement under the hood.

Overall, I'm not thrilled with the update so far, but it could be worse.

You don't get it if you are on the surface or tablet only desktop  and laptops with out touch gets it

This is not true. I'm using a Surface Pro and I have the power button on the Start Screen next to my display picture.

Btw I don't get to see the superfluous title bar on metro applications. Maybe the reason is that I'm using a tablet and will only get it if I'm using a keyboard with it.

This is not true. I'm using a Surface Pro and I have the power button on the Start Screen next to my display picture.

Btw I don't get to see the superfluous title bar on metro applications. Maybe the reason is that I'm using a tablet and will only get it if I'm using a keyboard with it.

I'm using it on a Lenovo Yoga and also see the power and search options on my start screen.

You don't see the title bar if you use touch, only when you use the mouse

My only big concern; just how do you select multiple tiles with the new mouse controls? Now I have to move/edit them one at a time. Otherwise, except for me having to turn the Start screen back on by default (I actually like it, and I had taught my Mom how to use it, so I needed to keep her status quo), 8 has come a long way since RTM.

But yes, in case it wasn't already mentioned, they updated the 8.1 distributed in Windows Store to include Update 1. Good idea; reminds me of the idea of updating the retail copies for service packs.

My only big concern; just how do you select multiple tiles with the new mouse controls? Now I have to move/edit them one at a time. Otherwise, except for me having to turn the Start screen back on by default (I actually like it, and I had taught my Mom how to use it, so I needed to keep her status quo), 8 has come a long way since RTM.

But yes, in case it wasn't already mentioned, they updated the 8.1 distributed in Windows Store to include Update 1. Good idea; reminds me of the idea of updating the retail copies for service packs.

CTRL + Click is how you select more than one tile.  Alternatively, you can press the space bar.  It'll bring up the old/new app bar and put you back into the customize mode.  You can then left/right click to select a bunch of tiles.

I dislike how having "show metro apps on the taskbar" also means that closing all metro apps suddenly brings you back into the desktop, even if you didn't have the desktop "running".  I would prefer to have it return to the start screen 100% of the time instead.

CTRL + Click is how you select more than one tile.  Alternatively, you can press the space bar.  It'll bring up the old/new app bar and put you back into the customize mode.  You can then left/right click to select a bunch of tiles.

I dislike how having "show metro apps on the taskbar" also means that closing all metro apps suddenly brings you back into the desktop, even if you didn't have the desktop "running".  I would prefer to have it return to the start screen 100% of the time instead.

Can't you turn that off in the navigation tab of the taskbar properties, the same setting that was introduced in 9.1

When you think about these changes and the future ones coming (windowed store apps and a new menu option) then these changes were going to happen, these are just the first step.  Store apps showing up on the taskbar has to happen, specially when in the next update they'll have windowed versions.  

The key thing here is that for now in update 1 it's that the taskbar and full metro don't mix well but I think this can all change later in Windows 9 or 8.2 or w/e comes in 2015 with an updated taskbar.  I expect they'll give you the option to either use the new menu or stick to the start screen as well but I expect updates to the overall start screen to.    For now this is a nice first step for those still without touch and whatnot. 

Bug found

clicking Ethernet connections takes you to nowhere. copy crashes app

attachicon.gifether.png

That doesn't happen for me, I get my Eithernet info which I can then copy and paste without issue.  It must be a bug that has to do with your NIC and or it's drivers maybe? 

That doesn't happen for me, I get my Eithernet info which I can then copy and paste without issue.  It must be a bug that has to do with your NIC and or it's drivers maybe? 

I have the same error on my Lenovo Notebook. I am connected to a novell network at this time

I have the same error on my Lenovo Notebook. I am connected to a novell network at this time

Don't know about this one but I just ran into a problem with IE11 and the right click menu not coming up, it hangs the tab.

*Edit*

Ok, it's all working fine again, weird, I think something was getting in the way of it but after trying the right click menu in a few other apps and having it popup without issue it's working again fine in IE11.  Odd, I'll keep an eye out on this one.

Wait, those still exist? :s

Christ, what the fudge is this monstrosity that is curiously dubbed "Update 1" or "Feature Pack" ?

This is far from an "update" and far from "good"-- this has become extremely confusing and difficult to use, and I have no idea why any of these changes were given a thumbs up. 

• Like 3