Your observations on Windows 8.1 update 1 (a.k.a. Feature Pack)

I spend a lot of time on the Microsoft Community Forums, and I've noticed an interesting trend:

There are a lot of questions popping up along the lines of "How do I disable the changes from Update 1?" or "How do I stop my computer from taking me to the desktop when I close an app?" or "How do I get rid of that annoying black bar on top of my apps?"

It looks like there really were more people who liked (or at least are ok with) Metro and didn't speak up than previously thought. Certainly more than the naysayers would have us believe. And now they're annoyed by the changes made to try to appease the desktop UI users.

It looks like this Update might be a big mistake. Not only did it not address the core issues of the complainers (more options to hide Metro) but it's ticking off the people who do like 8.

MS needed to let the desktop UI fans hide the Metro side, rather than try to turn Metro into a second desktop.

I spend a lot of time on the Microsoft Community Forums, and I've noticed an interesting trend:

There are a lot of questions popping up along the lines of "How do I disable the changes from Update 1?" or "How do I stop my computer from taking me to the desktop when I close an app?" or "How do I get rid of that annoying black bar on top of my apps?"

It looks like there really were more people who liked (or at least are ok with) Metro and didn't speak up than previously thought. Certainly more than the naysayers would have us believe. And now they're annoyed by the changes made to try to appease the desktop UI users.

It looks like this Update might be a big mistake. Not only did it not address the core issues of the complainers (more options to hide Metro) but it's ticking off the people who do like 8.

MS needed to let the desktop UI fans hide the Metro side, rather than try to turn Metro into a second desktop.

The real problem is Microsoft dug themselves into a deep hole and they aren't sure how they can get out of it...

Microsoft was hoping to use the Desktop install base to drive people to develop for their mobile platforms to keep relevance. They don't want to undo this as they are still banking on this strategy (hense the new "Universal app" push)... If they let users fully disengage from Metro they'll be left with an inability to use these users in this manner...

I'm not surprised that you're seeing the complaints from the Windows 8 userbase though. It stands to reckon that most (possibly even the majority) of Windows 8 users like the Metro setup and/or aren't hampered by the changes. The bigger group that MS has possibly been eying is the Windows 7 users (and the Windows XP users who are just transitioning up). Likely, users who aren't interested in Windows 8 have either downgraded to 7 or stuck with 7 and aren't voicing their approval of the Desktop focused changes.

I am finally trying Windows 8 out again since my last forray when Windows 8 launched left me annoyed (I wasn't aware of how to not sign in with a MS account on first post install boot, but I have now navigated that confusing maze) enough to just uninstall it and go back to 7. The Start Menu coming back may finally make me comfortable enough to upgrade more of my machines, but this is hard to say. Too early to tell.