Photo

Your observations on Windows 8.1 update 1 (a.k.a. Feature Pack)

win8.1

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#16 Active.

Active.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 20:56

My cursor is always at the bottom, it's where I bring it to rest before taking other actions.

That's a bit...peculiar....  :huh:

#17 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 March 2014 - 20:57

Skipping this update all together. Too many unwarranted changes. Whoever thought the taskbar should appear over metro apps should be fired and never allowed to work in GUI design again.

I think you said it best:

You guys really need to get over this crap. Seriously, this nonsense is getting old. Things change. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but they change...

#18 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 07 March 2014 - 20:59

Not sure at this point. Maybe Microsoft will get smart about things, and finally put their foot down when it comes to Metro on desktop PCs. It's not that hard to use.

Well - if you're unsatisfied with where MS Windows is headed, there are alternative solutions. :shifty:

#19 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:09

Skipping this update all together. Too many unwarranted changes. Whoever thought the taskbar should appear over metro apps should be fired and never allowed to work in GUI design again.

Don't be so resistant to change, like it or not this is where Microsoft is going, windows 8/8.1 is now legacy!

/s

#20 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:10

I did it in a VM and only see 3 changes. Metro apps in the task bar, power button on start screen, and lastly the search on the start screen. Aside from that I don't see the difference. The updates I already had didn't drop off until I ran the dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase command.

#21 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:13

This updates desktop, or rather, mouse oriented features put into metro, I think, are just a stop gap till next year and Windows 9.  I expect that version, with the new menu and windowed store apps, will allow you to pick a version or a option that doesn't bring the desktop into metro for those who are fine with it as it is or is going to be with metro 2.0 on non-touch PCs. 

Yeah I think both Metro-izing the desktop or Desktop-izing Metro are terrible ideas. These environments work great by themselves for what they were designed to do, Microsoft needs to let us work with either one of them without forcing us into the other.

I'm curious to know if the default file associations on the desktop have finally been rebound to desktop apps or do they still throw you in Metro land.

#22 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:15

That's a bit...peculiar....  :huh:

It's just something I've always done. The cursor on the screen has always bothered me.

#23 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:16

Yeah I think both Metro-izing the desktop or Desktop-izing Metro are terrible ideas. These environments work great by themselves for what they were designed to do, Microsoft needs to let us work with either one of them without forcing us into the other.

I'm curious to know if the default file associations on the desktop have finally been rebound to desktop apps or do they still throw you in Metro land.

The bolded part is what many users have been asking for since the first Windows 8 preview went public. Shoehorning two entirely different user paradigms into one operating system didn't work, despite what certain people on this very forum have been claiming.

#24 max84

max84

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:20

Am I doing something different, or what?

When I click on a Modern app symbol on my taskbar, it opens the app as expected. As soon as I move the cursor upwards, the bottom taskbar disappears.

It never reappears again, even if I move the cursor to the bottom and leave it there for several seconds. I never see the bottom taskbar again, until I return to the desktop.

#25 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:21

That's where it sounds like 9 is headed but with options to mix if you want to keep the start screen and so on.  Still as we expect a metro 2.0 to come I also expect updates to the desktop as well.  You can think of the new menu as a update itself but I think others are coming.  I think the taskbar needs to be updated again for example.

#26 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:26

The bolded part is what many users have been asking for since the first Windows 8 preview went public. Shoehorning two entirely different user paradigms into one operating system didn't work, despite what certain people on this very forum have been claiming.

Not in this way. I want Metro integration on the desktop, but what I mean by that is the Metro dynamics, the UX, etc on the desktop, not just shoehorned into a classic window, and certainly not having the taskbar appear over Metro apps. Quite disruptive behavior.

#27 max84

max84

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:30

Not in this way. I want Metro integration on the desktop, but what I mean by that is the Metro dynamics, the UX, etc on the desktop, not just shoehorned into a classic window, and certainly not having the taskbar appear over Metro apps. Quite disruptive behavior.

The Taskbar only appears when I launch an app from it. As soon as I move my cursor it never comes back, while I'm in the app.

Don't know how you personally get it back again, by moving the cursor to the bottom edge of the screen.

#28 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:53

Please - the reason why it is bound to non-desktop applications is due to what application is available *at the time*.  Installing any other application (desktop or otherwise) temporarily unbinds it so you can change it to the new application - in other words, no different from other versions of Windows.  (Example - PDF files are bound to Reader (the ModernUI app) only until another PDF reading applicaiton (including Microsoft Word) is installed - that unbinds PDFs from Reader until the selection is changed/modified.  Same applies to MPEG4 files (ModernUI Video Player/VLC).)

Changing file associations not only is not rocket science, it's no different than it has been.

#29 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 March 2014 - 22:14

How do I activate the Enterprise mode for IE 11?

as we see from our american politicians, things change but not necesarily for the good

But these changes don't bother me. I still have my desktop

#30 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 March 2014 - 22:27

It doesn't seem the Aeroglass effect made it in to rtm.

http://www.neowin.ne...ows-81-update-1

Unless there's a step needed to be done after adding the registry key, and a reboot.