Malaysia Airlines 'loses contact with plane' (and search effort updates)

One would think that was the case and if it was, it wouldn't have taken 2 years to locate the wreckage going off the debris field.

In flight 447s case, after the initial impact debris/body find, sonars and searches of the sea yielded nothing. Search teams went back to the drawing board and searched the sea several times and finally about 2 years later Air France financed what was billed as probably the last ever search. It centred around a 10 mile radius from the flights last known location when they eventually found the wreckage. I know this because I followed that accident closely.

Back on topic,

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/03/10/Missing-plane-five-missed-flight/

It seems odd 5 people would check in along with their luggage but not board.

You didn't follow it close enough it seems.

They found debris from 447 on the day after it went down.  Items like a seat, and electrical components.

5 days into the search, they located the first two bodies.

The media are idiots.  It's not odd that 5 people checked in but didn't make the flight.  This is very common on all flights for people to not hear the calls to board, so they remove baggage and take off.  

Mundane things always seem odd or suspicious in the early days of any investigation. You never really know what will end up being important or just extraneous details

One would think that was the case and if it was, it wouldn't have taken 2 years to locate the wreckage going off the debris field.

In flight 447s case, after the initial impact debris/body find, sonars and searches of the sea yielded nothing. Search teams went back to the drawing board and searched the sea several times and finally about 2 years later Air France financed what was billed as probably the last ever search. It centred around a 10 mile radius from the flights last known location when they eventually found the wreckage. I know this because I followed that accident closely.

Back on topic,

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/03/10/Missing-plane-five-missed-flight/

Final Destination? Maybe one of them had a premonition and the other 4 believed him.

I'm almost positive that there was primary radar. There are 2 major airports near that city. No primary radar would be incredibly stupid.

After looking into US Civilian Radars used around New York in 2001, yes it would seem my radar instructor was talking out of his arse. I wasn't 100% sure of it myself so its why I said "apparently".  At least the event spurned on the creation of a joint UK-wide central radar picture. So people from the control centre can see live radar footage from anywhere in the UK.

• Like 1

Back on topic,

Generally the people who check the passports (Customs) are not employed, and don't work for the airline.

However, I was extremely surprised to hear that there are countries that don't check.  I thought it was all automated.  It is absolutely disgusting that this isn't just a requirement of scanning a passport.

Those blackboxes are extremly secure and contain sensitive data but they don't have a GPS in them? I mean just fly above the ocean to catch some signal from that blackbox?

A plane should have atleast 6 gps markers!

Something else happened there, radars should remember its last visible location . This will all get covered up to save some arses , cash and company title.

Good point there. You would have thought that in this day and age with all the technology around, something like this would be unimaginable..

"Azharuddin also revealed that after reviewing the video footage taken from closed-circuit television cameras at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, neither passenger had Asian features, contradicting an earlier report quoting Home Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi."

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/dca-chief-says-both-passengers-with-stolen-passports-on-flight-mh370-identi

The plot thickens

• Like 1

Watch eerie moment family of missing Malaysia Airlines passenger successfully ring his phone - but nobody answers

The sister of Chinese man among the 239 people feared dead on flight MH370 rang his phone live on TV

The family of a passenger on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight successfully rang his mobile phone - but nobody answered.

This video shows the moment relatives of a Chinese man among the 239 people feared dead after the passenger jet mysteriously disappeared rang his phone live on state television.

The call connected, but then rang out.

Chinese media reports that a number of families have been able to ring mobile phones of their missing loved ones but no one answers.

The development raises even more questions about what has happened to flight MH370.

The flight is presumed to have crashed off the Vietnamese coast on Saturday, after losing contact with air traffic controllers off the eastern Malaysia coast.

Fears terrorists are to blame are growing as it emerged two passengers were using stolen passports.

An Italian and an Austrian were feared to be among the 239 victims presumed dead after the Boeing 777 crashed into the South China Sea.

But Luigi Maraldi contacted his family to say he was safe and well and Christian Kozel was found at home by Austrian police.

The revelations raise the fear that terrorism may have played a part in the sudden disappearance of the air liner that was flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

FOR THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS FOLLOW OUR LIVE BLOG

A 12-mile oil slick was spotted during an aerial search which was called off before nightfall, leaving naval ships and fishing vessels to look for survivors.

The plane was last detected on radar at 5.30pm UK time on Friday around 100 miles north of the Malaysian coast.

An airline tracking website suggested it plunged 650ft and changed direction before it vanished.

Even before news of stolen passports emerged, experts had raised the spectre of a terrorist bomb.

Pilot David Learmount, who is operations and safety editor of Flight Global magazine, said: ?Something happened and the pilots did not tell anyone. Why? It?s a good question.                 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-malaysia-airlines-eerie-moment-3222919#ixzz2vZJLJG8I 
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Watch eerie moment family of missing Malaysia Airlines passenger successfully ring his phone - but nobody answers

The sister of Chinese man among the 239 people feared dead on flight MH370 rang his phone live on TV

The family of a passenger on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight successfully rang his mobile phone - but nobody answered.

I'm confused, when you call a phone it will "ring out" no mater what if it's a number that hasn't been manually deactivated because you dialed out, if no one answered that's what I'd expect if something happened...

for it to come up as no a valid number you'd have to remove it from the phone exchange database... and why would you do that if the number wasn't deactivated?

what am I missing here?!

Hello,

When you turn your phone off, it says "This phone is not available..." blah blah blah

If there was a crash, the phones would be smashed/drowned/etc so they would be turned off and wouldn't ring.

Technically if this is true.......Android Device Manager should still work.

That might not necessarily be the case.  If the phone(s) are actually receiving the calls, then it should be incredibly easy to track down the location of the phone.

If I turn off any of my cell phones, it just goes to a default voice mail box, I've never had a cell phone say the phone is not available... virtually all cell phones have voice mail now days

and we've had phones destroyed at work and deactivated for a week and you could still call to it... they never deactivated or became unavailable

It's the evidences that led people to think Terrorists as a common sense train of thought, don't blame the media.

There is currently no evidence!

<lol removed post>

No, the phones would likely go straight to voicemail.  Had they crashed into the water, the phones would all be dead (water damage).  For a phone to ring like that it has to be on and functioning.. else the call can't be completed as dialed.

No, the phones would likely go straight to voicemail.

I've never had a cell phone say the phone is not available

A lot of people turn voicemail off.  Especially when abroad as it costs to receive/check.  As such, yes it does say not available!

A lot of people turn voicemail off.  Especially when abroad as it costs to receive/check.  As such, yes it does say not available!

Why would you turn off voicemail? You don't get charged if people call you and leave a message.  They might turn data off, which should redirect calls the voicemail. 

There's no way that line would ring if the phone was drowned. The call would have gone straight to VM. That's ^&%@&^#% eeerie. O_O

I'm confused, when you call a phone it will "ring out" no mater what if it's a number that hasn't been manually deactivated because you dialed out, if no one answered that's what I'd expect if something happened...

for it to come up as no a valid number you'd have to remove it from the phone exchange database... and why would you do that if the number wasn't deactivated?

what am I missing here?!

That a phone will only ring if its on, functional and has signal.

If the phone was off/broken, as it would be after crashing into the sea or being blown up it would either go straight to voicemail or just not connect if voicemail was off.

• Like 1

There is currently no evidenc

Two people stolen passports in separate incidents

They bought the plane ticket together

No May day were called

Calling cellphones do not go straight to voicemail

etc

That a phone will only ring if its on, functional and has signal.

If the phone was off/broken, as it would be after crashing into the sea or being blown up it would either go straight to voicemail or just not connect if voicemail was off.

That sometimes isn't true at all.

I can turn off my wife's phone and call her and it will still ring three times and then go to voicemail.

That sometimes isn't true at all.

I can turn off my wife's phone and call her and it will still ring three times and then go to voicemail.

But three times isn't that many.