No video on boot *desperate*

you powersupply is fine, not sure why that poster replied with that answer.

It's a $40 dollar 'so called' 500w PSU.  If the OP could test with a different PSU that would prove/disprove it (review here for reference).

I don't believe coolermaster is considered to be a B-brand, but it's not a top of the line either. This 1 was around $90 when it was bought. I've read about the efficiency of PSU's being between 50-60% of the peak output. So what I am doing is not recommendable I'm sure.. But still it should work :)

Again good people... Thanks for all input!

If OP upgraded to a 220W video card from an 85W card, its likely the PSU can't handle that draw.

If the old card works

and the new card works in another system

Thats saying something.

Cheap supplies are rated in Peak power. This is the amount of power it can output for a 'burst' or short period of time - like at startup. For long power pulls, you can determine the RMS value by multiplying the wattage by 0.707

a 500W Peak supply is a 353W RMS supply.

a 353W supply delivering 220W to the video card, thats 133W for everything else. a 85W Core2Duo, thats 45W for the RAM, HDD, mainboard. This is extremes, but most supplies operate best at 35-65% of their rated draw.. so a 500W peak is a 353W RMS, shouldn't be pulling over 230W constant, for optimal performance. The card able to pull 220W...

Use a DMM and check that the voltage lines don't drop below what they should be. Generally its 10% of their rated DC voltage. so a 12V would be acceptable between 10.8V-13.2, a 5V between 4.5V-6V, etc. Physically, if you stress electronics the caps will pop. they look like batteries. When they go they will leak/tarnish/swell. search swollen capacitors on google image search for examples.

a 450 Watt PSU should power your system with ease.

Try a Linux Live CD, if it runs, then your drivers are bad. Would try a fresh install.

If it isn't working... try it in a different system.

If it's still not working... bad luck.

I would like to point out that you are getting some bizarre answers here how to solve your problem and what to replace in your system.

Go step by step.

first thing first.

Read motherboard manual!

Read graphic card manual!

Hello,

@riahc3.

That's a good 1... There is a green and red mini-jack tied together in the case. That might be the system speakers connection (?). Usually the system speaker has it's own small connector right? If the green mini-jack is the system speakers connection then I don't know.. If it's powered on along with the rest of the front panel then the answer to that question is no

That's your audio card.

Your board should have a system speaker. When you put the card that DOES work, does the system speaker make a sound? It should.

If you have not tested the newly modded BIOS firmware of that GPU on a new mobo, it is certain, on my conclusion anyways, to say that you have mess up the GPU BIOS during your firmware update.  Firmware update is very sensitive.  If you restart before the firmware is even finished with flashing, the GPU is gone.

If it is booting with the no-display card, you should definitely remote in and see if the GPU shows up.