Jimquisition: A Vertical Slice Of Steaming Bullshots

Jim is spot on as usual. I've stopped paying attention to E3, TGS, and every other game conference for this exact reason. All footage of a game prior to release, whether it explicitly says so or not, is basically bulls--- until it's released. At which point, community members will point out everything that didn't live up to the promises.

I think the bigger problem is that these "community members" are not the professional sites but are members GAF or other gaming forums. The professional "journalists" (and I use that term extremely loosely) don't cover this stuff, call out publishers on blatant bait-and-switches, or otherwise try to enlighten and inform the general gaming public to these sleazy practices. Which, is the sole God damn purpose of journalism. The whole industry needs a swift kick to the junk in my opinion.

When the specs were rumoured for both consoles any hype I had for the generation instantly died. We're not going to see the massive jump that these vertical slices usually boast. It was bad enough last generation but after a few examples I think most pubs/devs learnt their lesson. We all dreamed of playing the trailers rather than the games, but at least it wasn't sold to us that's what we should expect (although Aliens CM definitely managed to hoodwink everyone somehow). Hopefully Watch_Dogs will be the next warning shot for the rest and they'll learn another valuable lesson.

And unless there is a particularly good reason, something physical included for instance, for the love of god stop pre-ordering.

I actually like and hate Early Access type stuff.  I don't feel bad about my Star Citizen preorder, but I still feel like they're milking everything as hard as they possibly can and it's massive overkill.

But at least they've given me software so I can see how my ship and other asset design are progressing, and early access games do give you something to play even if it isn't always completely worthwhile.

Preordering with nothing to show for it though?  Not my thing.  I'll preorder a few weeks before the game comes out though.

And unless there is a particularly good reason, something physical included for instance, for the love of god stop pre-ordering.