One of thoooose friends...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 wrack

wrack

Wireless Robotic Android Calibrated for Killing

• 2,579 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 21:53

I think IBM has a patent on the self degrading/ageing data/photos or something like that. I don't think it is true for the current form of digital data.

#47 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,401 posts
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 11 March 2014 - 21:53

Dear OP,

Every conversation from now on regarding technology, direct the attention to the weather. Rather than try to explain and justify the inner workings of the universe with example stubborn friend of lesser comprehension, you can discuss something even cows in fields can grasp.

There's a reason behind the stereotype.

#48 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• 1,563 posts
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 11 March 2014 - 21:57

To be fair, perhaps corruption on some drive (or flash media) of the OPs caused issues at some point with his music and he just stubbornly refuses to believe any explanation other than he previously believed. I'd pretty much chalk it up to the dunning-kruger effect. He'll only believe you if you give him real fundamental background and that's not going to happen without throwing him in a course.

#49 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 22:34

I wonder if the mp3s he has are vinyl rips, i have a lot of them and compared to pure digital files even though they have the same bit rate the vinyl rips sound as you expect horribly muddy.

#50 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,151 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 22:40

Shrug and say "OK, if that's what you believe" and walk away.

#51 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,741 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 22:43

I was on your retarded friends side until he said half a bit.

Digital data in itself cannot degrade over time (obviously), it can indirectly degrade over time on certain storage mediums however. Now, if you discussed that you believe the hard-drive was suffering bitrot (or a hardware fault) and he argued that it wasn't the HDD, but in fact the file, you can make some inferences. 

I think the tell-tale sign of this story is 'half bit', passed that I need little else to form a conclusion with some level of certainty that your friend is a half-bit half-wit. :)

Someone else mentioned bringing up the weather, or even stop being friends with him; both seem like sound advice.

Now, I'm going to go listen to my MP3's while I still can!

#52 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• 1,563 posts
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 11 March 2014 - 22:52

I think the tell-tale sign of this story is 'half bit', passed that I need little else to form a conclusion with some level of certainty that your friend is a half-bit half-wit. :)

bahah,  :laugh:. OP should tell his friend that!

#53 stumper66

stumper66

Neowinian

• 86 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:28

Half a bit?  I think he's really just enjoying watching your wheels turn as you try to correct him.  He's apparently a very good troll!

#54 OP Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

• 3,733 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 18:16

Half a bit?  I think he's really just enjoying watching your wheels turn as you try to correct him.  He's apparently a very good troll!

You see, I really, REALLY wish he was trolling, but I don't think he knows what it means even!

#55 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• 982 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 13:27

It might be possible to teach him how data is written to a device which is nothing more than a platter with special surface where magnetism, light, and chemicals create hills & valleys (1s & 0s)

In a vacuum (think "a situation where the equation is impervious to outside influences") the structure of the magnetic bits will not change... the laws of phyiscs do not change inside a hard drive, only hardware failure will change the outcome.

Degredatation of data integrity has to have an  outside influence.  It doesnt just change because it decides too.

Am I correct in this? its awfully early for me... my Diet Coke & 5 Hour Energy hasnt kicked in

(update - now that Im a little more awake - I think light only comes into play with photores in making semiconductors, transistors, and such)