xbox one kinect microsoft michael pachter

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#166 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:27

Are you talking about if you put the controller down the Kinect detects it and shuts the controller off until you pick it back up? Who puts their controller down for hours? I put my controller down for 5 minutes. Even if you're watching movies you can set the controller to auto-shut off after X amount of time. Still a novelty. A clever one, but a Novelty nonetheless.

**raises hand as well**....I do that all the time. I might be playing a game, then I might run to take my son to soccer, go make dinner in the kitchen, you name it. I set it down, and I am good to go. It's slick.

#167 Kravex

Kravex

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 820

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:50

I can sum up in three words why it will never sell without Kinect:

"Xbox, record that!"

#168 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:28

The Kinect just makes the whole experience a much smoother one. Even those tiny things like knowing who's got the pad add a certain dimension. 

One thing i find odd though is how the Kinect isn't the IR receiver for the media remote and the actual console is. Not that big a deal though unless you shut the box away... but why do that? It's sooo beeeauuutiifullll

"Xbox, record that!"

I've not done this yet. But many of my friends swear by it!

#169 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 19 March 2014 - 16:28

The Kinect just makes the whole experience a much smoother one. Even those tiny things like knowing who's got the pad add a certain dimension. 

One thing i find odd though is how the Kinect isn't the IR receiver for the media remote and the actual console is. Not that big a deal though unless you shut the box away... but why do that? It's sooo beeeauuutiifullll

I've not done this yet. But many of my friends swear by it!

I hear people say that in their mic's during multiplayer matches. It's funny, I hear them say "Xbox Snap...or Xbox UnSnap this or that". They probably hear me to then.

#170 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 19 March 2014 - 19:38

*raises hand*
I use my 360 controller+chatpad for my non-gaming activities such as netflix and youtube. I am sure I am not the only one who does it. At some point you have start accepting features as they are designed. Kinect improves battery life of the controller and that's been experienced by many who have it.
I do the auto/manual shut-off dance right now but I would be really happy if the system is smart enough to do it for me. It's called convenience. It's also the reason we have gaming consoles that do much more than just gaming.

**raises hand as well**....I do that all the time. I might be playing a game, then I might run to take my son to soccer, go make dinner in the kitchen, you name it. I set it down, and I am good to go. It's slick.

And as a convenience it is fine, I'm pro convenience. It is a nice feature, but I think you might both be exaggerating just how much battery it preserves over the auto shut-off feature that last-gen console controllers had.

The command and tracking stuff is cool, what impact or influence it will have on gaming is unknown. There aren't enough games that use it for anything interesting. As far as I can tell the games which use the Kinect so far are dancing or fitness games. The tech is substantially better this time around so maybe it will be better utilised. But that remains to be seen.

What would be interesting to know is if the Kinect wasn't bundled how many Xbox One buyers would have shelled out the extra money on an optional peripheral for the voice and tracking stuff? We'll never know for sure because it is bundled so it exists with 100% of purchases.

#171 Zedox

Zedox

Neowinian

Posted 19 March 2014 - 19:51

Kinect will never be unbundled. MS doesn't need another 180 on something that I want to be standard. It's really too late to unbundle it anyways. Why doesn't Sony remake the DS4 to not included that damning blue light on unusefullness? It's too late. It's not like the price of these machines won't go down anyways. People forget that the PS3 was $500 and $600 at release...it didn't harm them in the long run. The Kinect will stay.

#172 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 19 March 2014 - 20:00

What would be interesting to know is if the Kinect wasn't bundled how many Xbox One buyers would have shelled out the extra money on an optional peripheral for the voice and tracking stuff? We'll never know for sure because it is bundled so it exists with 100% of purchases.

That's easy. It would be less then 100%. You could try to take a head count online and guess that it might be as low as %10 adoption or as high as %60. Big range, but its hard to say otherwise.

No need to beat around the bush here. Optional peripherals sell poorly historically anyway, then add on the very strong dislike of Kinect from many online and you can paint a picture of lower adoption then today.

#173 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 March 2014 - 20:00

"Xbox, record that!"

Precisely.

That can be used to record snippets of anything either received directly or connected (via HDMI inline - such as an STB or Tivo).  Note - this is something that my Tivo - or any Tivo - simply can't do at all - even with the remote.  But being able to record snippets hands-free?  Let alone being able to do it at a cost of none.

It's not MIcrosoft's fault that gamers - like all too many folks in general - refuse to satisfy their curiousity and venture outside the comfort zone even a little bit!

#174 OP Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 19 March 2014 - 20:03

Kinect will never be unbundled. MS doesn't need another 180 on something that I want to be standard. It's really too late to unbundle it anyways. Why doesn't Sony remake the DS4 to not included that damning blue light on unusefullness? It's too late. It's not like the price of these machines won't go down anyways. People forget that the PS3 was $500 and $600 at release...it didn't harm them in the long run. The Kinect will stay.

That's not how I remember it! The PS3 didn't take off sales wise until 2009 with the introduction of the Slim and price cut.

#175 Zedox

Zedox

Neowinian

Posted 19 March 2014 - 20:06

That's not how I remember it! The PS3 didn't take off sales wise until 2009 with the introduction of the Slim and price cut.

Yea...in the long run. A price cut and a smaller XB1 may be all that's needed, not taking away the Kinect. What i'm saying is that the price is the only reason why people are pouting...not the Kinect. If it was the same price, people wouldn't be as ######.

#176 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 March 2014 - 20:06

Then his point is true, those prices did not hurt them in the long run. It turned around over time.

#177 OP Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 19 March 2014 - 20:08

Then his point is true, those prices did not hurt them in the long run. It turned around over time.

Not to give a history lesson, but Sony also did some feature cutting to get the new price :p ;)

Yea...in the long run. A price cut and a smaller XB1 may be all that's needed, not taking away the Kinect. What i'm saying is that the price is the only reason why people are pouting...not the Kinect. If it was the same price, people wouldn't be as ######.

They still didn't turn a profit for another year. The Slim price cut got people to buy but it came at a cost, both to the hardware and their wallet.

#178 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 19 March 2014 - 20:21

The problem is taking away the Kinect is the most obvious cost-cutting measure. Unless MS find a method of creating Kinects for free or they are willing to take the hit of the cost of its production then how are they going to be able to match the PS4's price?

The reality is we'll have to wait and see. If more games have the Kinect integrated into play and the One starts to catch up to PS4 sales they mightn't even have to consider dropping the Kinect.

#179 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 March 2014 - 20:35

Not to give a history lesson, but Sony also did some feature cutting to get the new price :p ;)

They still didn't turn a profit for another year. The Slim price cut got people to buy but it came at a cost, both to the hardware and their wallet.

Yeah, drop Kinect, that's the basic gist of this point.

But if we want to be real about it, MS was also able to drop the price of the 360 without dropping features as Sony did. There are ways to cut pricing without dropping major features.

And yes, before its even said, I know Kinect is not considered a major feature, but to MS it is.

The problem is taking away the Kinect is the most obvious cost-cutting measure. Unless MS find a method of creating Kinects for free or they are willing to take the hit of the cost of its production then how are they going to be able to match the PS4's price?

The reality is we'll have to wait and see. If more games have the Kinect integrated into play and the One starts to catch up to PS4 sales they mightn't even have to consider dropping the Kinect.

Don't be shocked if MS decided to eat some losses to match Sony's pricing.

Oh and don't expect a suddenly onslaught of motion controlled games. What you will likely see is more hybrid games that use some of its features and then a handful of motion controlled games. Heck, you will probably see more indie games that try to use kinect's motion controls than AAA titles.

#180 OP Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 19 March 2014 - 20:49

Yeah, drop Kinect, that's the basic gist of this point.

But if we want to be real about it, MS was also able to drop the price of the 360 without dropping features as Sony did. There are ways to cut pricing without dropping major features.

And yes, before its even said, I know Kinect is not considered a major feature, but to MS it is.

Don't be shocked if MS decided to eat some losses to match Sony's pricing.

Oh and don't expect a suddenly onslaught of motion controlled games. What you will likely see is more hybrid games that use some of its features and then a handful of motion controlled games. Heck, you will probably see more indie games that try to use kinect's motion controls than AAA titles.

You're right they did, but they also didn't make profit overall (and neither did Sony IIRC). They spent over $3 Billion on the 360 eating losses from day 1 with the failed business plan of making it back on licenses and accessories etc. It doesn't work, all 3 platform holders know it. You can't keep doing it or eventually you end up in a worse position than even Sony is today. With rumour of talks that some higher ups at MS want to cut the divsion or sell it, do you really think suggesting to your boss "it's ok, we'll eat the costs and worry later", is going to hold up? C'mon man. How many consoles need to be made before Microsoft see a profit in this industry? It's not sustainable. Heck, even cutting Kinect is a double edged sword because they've spent so bloody much on it you kind of feel like they've got no option but to continue with it just because it's a smaller loss, not because they believe in it.

As for the indie comment to Compl3x, and this is a genuine Q, but when do indies become important that it's a selling point for Kinect, but they're not a selling point for the console itself? I'm confused after the Jimquisition topic...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!