Microsoft: Xbox 360's Games with Gold programme will improve

Microsoft: Xbox 360's Games with Gold programme will improve

Will be "more true" to gamer's expectations.

By Tom Phillips Published Monday, 10 March 2014

Microsoft has pledged to improve its Games with Gold programme and make it "more true" to what people might expect from the service.

The offer currently gifts gamers two free Xbox 360 games a month to download and keep forever, but users have complained about the choice of titles offered.

jpg

It's something that Microsoft exec Phil Spencer has told Polygon that he is now trying to improve.

"I have been sitting down, monthly now, with [the Games with Gold team]... and playing a more active role in picking franchises that show up in Games with Gold," he said.

"I think you'll see at least something that feels, at least, more true to what I think Games with Gold should look like with the constraints that are there."

Spencer also addressed the programme's frequent comparisons with PlayStation Plus. Sony's rival offer has more games for free each month - and usually newer titles, too. Sony also includes PlayStation 4 in its programme, whereas Microsoft does not include Xbox One.

The difference, Spencer said, is that Games with Gold lets users keep the games forever, whereas PlayStation Plus only allows you access while you remain subscribed.

"One of our... differences between the other system we get compared to, is the fact that with Games with Gold, you get to keep that game, regardless of whether you continue to subscribe," Spencer concluded.

"I think there's some steps and some evolution of what Games with Gold or any of the other systems will go through to their full potential."

Xbox One titles will be included in Games with Gold at some point, but Microsoft has yet to announce when that will begin.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-10-microsoft-working-to-improve-xbox-360s-games-with-gold-programme

That's great. I actually think that the games gifted with Games with Gold are pretty good, such as the most recent Civilization Revolution, the recent Fable 3 and a bunch of others. Of course, if they start giving us CoD Ghosts and Dead Rising 3 for xbox one, however... fantastic! But those are ?50 games so I find the prospect of them giving decent xbox one games out for free very unlikely.

That's great. I actually think that the games gifted with Games with Gold are pretty good, such as the most recent Civilization Revolution, the recent Fable 3 and a bunch of others. Of course, if they start giving us CoD Ghosts and Dead Rising 3 for xbox one, however... fantastic! But those are ?50 games so I find the prospect of them giving decent xbox one games out for free very unlikely.

They'll give them out but the only question is when?  Maybe if the sales dry up then you'll see them offer them.  But if you're waiting for new AAA games to hit GwG a month after they come out then I just don't see it.  They could do it with any of their exclusive titles though, 3rd party ones, harder.