ESXi Alerts

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can point me in the direction of something useful as my google searches are not coming up with any decent results. One of our ESXi boxes has started beeping at us and I think the system board error is just an event viewer is full error so I'm not too concerned with that but the voltage alert screams "thats not good to me".

I had recently unracked and moved the server around a few times so I'm wondering if I was a little rough and have unseated something, I will be powering it down soon to just give it a check over but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.

Any guidance you guys can give me would be great as I'm going into this feeling pretty blind.

ESXi.png

I'm not clued up with cisco servers, does it have VRM units inside that you can change or are they part of the board? If they can be changed, I'd turn the system off, unplug it and reseat them, if not then sounds like the power modules on the board (note: NOT the PSU itself) sound like they're dying.

I'm not clued up with cisco servers, does it have VRM units inside that you can change or are they part of the board? If they can be changed, I'd turn the system off, unplug it and reseat them, if not then sounds like the power modules on the board (note: NOT the PSU itself) sound like they're dying.

Right now, your guess is as good as mine! We were given three Cisco UCS boxes for development purposes by Cisco long before I joined this department so I once again claim ignorance to a role that is not really mine but seems to keep coming back to me.

You may find some pictures coming this threads way for some further advice soon.

Do you use UCS? You need to goto the blade and clear the SEL logs. 

Nope, these are just stand alone ESXi boxes.

IMG_20140311_142115.jpg

I can't even see anything that looks out of the orindary. Unfortunately it seems, this isn't my beeping server either as its still out on the worktop whilst something in the rack is beeping! I had assumed that seeing those errors it was this server but with the amont of kit in there, its difficult to pin point the exact server.

I would swap the PSU first and see what the result is. It is possible the PSU has started to deliver an out of spec load on one of its rails.

Can't seen any VRMs on that. Could try another PSU then, if it fixes it then great if not then I'd probably just try and ignore it until it starts causing problems (it could be that the sensor is wrong, etc.)