Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:29

*weeps quietly while waiting for PC release*

#3 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,679 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:42

I knew it was going to be good. I can't wait to get home after work today and play. Today is going to draaaaag until that happens.

#4 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 36,612 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:49

I knew it was going to be good. I can't wait to get home after work today and play. Today is going to draaaaag until that happens.

Lucky you, I need to wait and work till Friday! Was tempted to buy off the US PSN store, but I have the collectors edition on pre-order...

#5 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,679 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 13:36

Lucky you, I need to wait and work till Friday! Was tempted to buy off the US PSN store, but I have the collectors edition on pre-order...

That's a bummer. I'll never understand why games have to have different release dates in the UK. Does it have to do with customs, or is it simply publisher nonsense? Lame, either way.

Pull a Cartman and freeze yourself to make the time go by quicker! :D

go-god-go-part-2-20061102015236763.jpg

#6 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:05

Probably a culture thing, UK subscribes to "release entertainment before the weekend so people looking for something to do will buy it", in the US and Asia it's more like "release it mid-week so people commuting from work will remember to buy it". Just my theory.

As for Dark Souls 2, decided to get it. Hated Demon's Souls...that game was just designed by evil sadists who relished the misery of others. Dark Souls was getting there....bought it as well, good game, but too much grinding if you wanted to stand a chance (i'm not big on massive challenges). When I heard Dark Souls 2 has plenty of bonfires, teleportation a la Tomb Raider, a lady that resurrects you, and limited bad guy spawn, then i knew they finally pulled a Dead Rising 3 and made it for normal gamers, without really admitting they made it for normal gamers, of course, heh heh.

#7 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 36,612 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:37

Probably a culture thing, UK subscribes to "release entertainment before the weekend so people looking for something to do will buy it", in the US and Asia it's more like "release it mid-week so people commuting from work will remember to buy it". Just my theory.

As for Dark Souls 2, decided to get it. Hated Demon's Souls...that game was just designed by evil sadists who relished the misery of others. Dark Souls was getting there....bought it as well, good game, but too much grinding if you wanted to stand a chance (i'm not big on massive challenges). When I heard Dark Souls 2 has plenty of bonfires, teleportation a la Tomb Raider, a lady that resurrects you, and limited bad guy spawn, then i knew they finally pulled a Dead Rising 3 and made it for normal gamers, without really admitting they made it for normal gamers, of course, heh heh.

Made it for normal gamers? Word is its even "harder" :p

#8 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• 6,027 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:40

*weeps quietly while waiting for PC release*

*Weeps loudly praying for a XO/PS4 release*

#9 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,769 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:02

When I heard Dark Souls 2 has plenty of bonfires, teleportation a la Tomb Raider, a lady that resurrects you, and limited bad guy spawn, then i knew they finally pulled a Dead Rising 3 and made it for normal gamers, without really admitting they made it for normal gamers, of course, heh heh.

While some of that may be true. You still lose a portion of your permanent HP when you die (only till you lose half your permanent HP). Also limited spawning on enemies may sound good, it is actually to stop people spamming the same area for HP potions, i believe.

From what i've heard, it is just as challenging as DS1, if not more difficult.

#10 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,679 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 14:53

So I have played the game for a good chunk of time now, and I have to say I'm enjoying it almost as much as Dark Souls. There are things I really like about the new game, and things I really dislike. But overall, it pretty great.

#11 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,228 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 15:15

That is the real Must-Have Game of the Year.

#12 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 00:57

While some of that may be true. You still lose a portion of your permanent HP when you die (only till you lose half your permanent HP). Also limited spawning on enemies may sound good, it is actually to stop people spamming the same area for HP potions, i believe.

From what i've heard, it is just as challenging as DS1, if not more difficult.

Doesn't the limited spawning make it a lot easier though? You don't have to grind to get to the boss, then again guess you're right, you get to the boss without the benefits of the grind like restored health, leveling up etc. And what about being able to teleport between bonfires Tomb Raider-style? Does that make things easier? At any rate waiting for the PC release sadly, sold the old 360/PS3 dynamic duo to help mitigate the cost of their replacements :|

#13 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,679 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:03

Doesn't the limited spawning make it a lot easier though? You don't have to grind to get to the boss, then again guess you're right, you get to the boss without the benefits of the grind like restored health, leveling up etc. And what about being able to teleport between bonfires Tomb Raider-style? Does that make things easier? At any rate waiting for the PC release sadly, sold the old 360/PS3 dynamic duo to help mitigate the cost of their replacements :|

The limited respawns actually make it harder. Once you deplete that area, you can no longer farm it. It does make it easier to traverse those sections on subsequent runs, but losing farmable souls is extremely limiting when everything the game depends on them. It's especially taxing if you like using bows since arrows cost souls and you eventually run out of farming opportunities until you move on.

Overall it's not too bad though. I tried farming-to-depletion when I started playing, then I realized that it's not really necessary. If you constantly push on, you eventually get to enemies that drop more souls than the entire previous area, so it evens out.

#14 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:11

Thanks for the feedback spacer, starting to understand the balance they were going for. DS proved too much for my patience in the end, but hopefully DS2 won't. With the changes they implemented it sounds like they definitely warrant our support for trying to do something different. How are the visuals? In the videos I saw characters were clipping into each other and such. Is it better than DS was? (though did that on the horrible Steam/PC version, which was no indication).

As long as it's not as flat out batshit sadistic as Demon's Souls, will be fine with it!

#15 Patrick831

Patrick831

Neowinian

• 199 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:16

I died. lol

Wasn't an enemy, or a fall for my first death. I pressed B and fell off a ladder. Splat! So sad....

So far the game is really fun. Chose a swordsman as my first run through. The dual wielding feels really good. :D