So looking forward to the PC release but I can't stop playing on PS3, either! I'm a slow player, though. My current Knight has 10 hours on it at level 36 and just today I finally

beat Dragonrider and tomorrow I'm going to go after Old Dragonslayer

. I actually decided to farm the entire area and clear it out to level - something I should have done from the beginning in the first area of the game. It didn't dawn on me to do that because of the way DS1 works. I've also converted from a moderately heavy armor player to nothing more than a shield for now. Much more enjoying the swiftness of my character and using evasive moves.

Anyway, hope to make more progress this week!

Haven't really found any good Dex weapons that I like. My favorite from DS1 was the Uchi. Fast attack speed, A scaling, bleed. It was borderline-OP and sooo good.

But the Uchi in DS2 is poop. Much, much slower attack speed, much more stamina per swing, same scaling, and no bleed damage. They nerfed it into oblivion as far as I'm concerned.

Haven't really found any good Dex weapons that I like. My favorite from DS1 was the Uchi. Fast attack speed, A scaling, bleed. It was borderline-OP and sooo good.

But the Uchi in DS2 is poop. Much, much slower attack speed, much more stamina per swing, same scaling, and no bleed damage. They nerfed it into oblivion as far as I'm concerned.

Just picked up the guide today so I'll have a look at the Dex weapons. The guy in the undead crypt gives you a pretty cool looking sword once you've got the kings ring. See-through Katana kind of weapon.

There's some black katana that is a rare drop I've seen people clamoring over as well.

Just picked up the guide today so I'll have a look at the Dex weapons. The guy in the undead crypt gives you a pretty cool looking sword once you've got the kings ring. See-through Katana kind of weapon.

There's some black katana that is a rare drop I've seen people clamoring over as well.

Blacksteel Katana maybe? I found a few of those in my run through of the Iron Keep. Same problem as the Uchi though. Actually, I couldn't really find a major difference between them for that matter. Their damage values and required stats are different, but not by any significant range. The move sets are probably different, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

I played Demon's Souls and didn't get any further than 1-2. I played Dark Souls and stopped playing it after about an hour.

I'm a bit older now and a bit more appreciative of good games now, I think.

I've soaked about 13 hours into Dark Souls 2 so far... I've beaten three bosses (I think) and I'm in the Level 50~ region... It's an achievement for me! This game is very frustrating but very rewarding. My expression has been one of shock whenever I've beaten a boss so far. xD

Great game.

• Like 2

I played Demon's Souls and didn't get any further than 1-2. I played Dark Souls and stopped playing it after about an hour.

I'm a bit older now and a bit more appreciative of good games now, I think.

I've soaked about 13 hours into Dark Souls 2 so far... I've beaten three bosses (I think) and I'm in the Level 50~ region... It's an achievement for me! This game is very frustrating but very rewarding. My expression has been one of shock whenever I've beaten a boss so far. xD

Great game.

Sounds similar to my situation, though haven't experienced Dark Souls 2 yet as can only get it on PC. But sometimes you just need to be in the right state of mind. Back in 2011 Demon's Souls made me want to shoot my TV, now I'm grateful for every second I get with my beloved hobby, so what's the big deal? Try anything, as long as you can afford it and are able to. You never know in this life!

• 2 weeks later...
Dark Souls II Patch Hits Tomorrow, Here's What Is Changing

by Andrew Reiner on April 10, 2014 at 04:18 PM

darksouls1.jpg

Judging by the amount of email I get requesting Dark Souls II tips, many of you are still working your way through this world of pain and death. The experience could change slightly tomorrow, when From Software drops patch 1.03 for both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Most of the patch addresses stability issues, like summoned players falling through the world, and multiplayer attempts not connecting. The most noticeable change for most people will be the controller vibrating when an attack is blocked. The patch hits tomorrow North America tomorrow at 4 a.m. EDT, and worldwide at 6 a.m GMT. Here's the full list of fixes detailed by From Software:

MULTIPLAYER

• Failing to create Multiplayer session no longer disables use of online items, such as White Soapstone.
  • Players now receive a small portion of Humanity after successfully assisting in a Multiplayer session instead of regaining full Humanity.
  • Starting boss fight with the Looking Glass Knight while summoning other players no longer cancels the summoning process.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented some bloodstains, illusions, and messages from being displayed.
  • Fixed an issue where ?Unable to participate in Multiplayer Session? could constantly appear.
  • Fixed some instances where the portrait of the person you were summoning was different than the actual character.
  • You will no longer be able to take off Covenant rings while being summoned.
  • Fixed an issue that would cause some summoned players to fall through the ground at Earthen Peak.

GAME MENU / INTERFACE / CONTROLS

• Optimized Start Menu and Bonfire Menu performance.
  • Trophy icon for ?Holder of the Fort? has been fixed.
  • Controller now vibrates when blocking an attack

OTHER FIXES

• Bug involving Drangleic Castle door not opening has been fixed.
  • Fixed an issue that would cause Souls to be lost upon death with the Ring of Life Protection equipped.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some players to fall through elevators while using Binoculars and Magic simultaneously.
  • Fixed an issue causing some enemies being hit by arrows at long distances receive 0 damage.
  • Fixed an issue preventing the Brotherhood of Blood duels from starting properly.
  • Added a message for players that displays after entering the coffin in Things Betwixt
  • Fixed an issue where all of the items and objects in an area would reset (Without using a Bonfire Ascetic).
  • Fixed an issue that didn?t unlock some items from vendors on 2nd and beyond playthrough.
  • Fixed an issue causing the requirements for the Brotherhood of Blood Covenant be 50 too high.
  • Licia?s conditions for moving have been optimized.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/04/10/dark-souls-ii-patch-hits-tomorrow-here-39-s-what-is-changing.aspx

MULTIPLAYER

• Failing to create Multiplayer session no longer disables use of online items, such as White Soapstone.
  • Players now receive a small portion of Humanity after successfully assisting in a Multiplayer session instead of regaining full Humanity.
  • Starting boss fight with the Looking Glass Knight while summoning other players no longer cancels the summoning process.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented some bloodstains, illusions, and messages from being displayed.
  • Fixed an issue where ?Unable to participate in Multiplayer Session? could constantly appear.
  • Fixed some instances where the portrait of the person you were summoning was different than the actual character.
  • You will no longer be able to take off Covenant rings while being summoned.
  • Fixed an issue that would cause some summoned players to fall through the ground at Earthen Peak.

I wonder what the effects of these two changes are. Humanity doesn't exist in this game, so what does "gain a small portion" mean exactly? If you're hollow and have died a few times, do you regain a bit of your health bar? Do you eventually turn human after helping a certain number of people? I know that turning human after being summoned wasn't intended, but what IS intended to happen? I wish they would just come out and freaking say what is supposed to happen.

I wonder what the effects of these two changes are. Humanity doesn't exist in this game, so what does "gain a small portion" mean exactly? If you're hollow and have died a few times, do you regain a bit of your health bar? Do you eventually turn human after helping a certain number of people? I know that turning human after being summoned wasn't intended, but what IS intended to happen? I wish they would just come out and freaking say what is supposed to happen.

If you're hollowed when you assist you gain back a bit of your life bar. As you know max hollow is like 50% health, so you'd probably jump to 60% without having to use an effigy.

The covenant rings is probably to stop people being summoned then changing to a better/more powerful ring. Keeps the playing field more balanced for covenant invasions. Sure right now everyone can switch out but many will forget/not have time. If you want to invade someone you're going to have to live with one of your ring slots being used by your covenant ring - Fair trade off if you ask me.

If you're hollowed when you assist you gain back a bit of your life bar. As you know max hollow is like 50% health, so you'd probably jump to 60% without having to use an effigy.

The covenant rings is probably to stop people being summoned then changing to a better/more powerful ring. Keeps the playing field more balanced for covenant invasions. Sure right now everyone can switch out but many will forget/not have time. If you want to invade someone you're going to have to live with one of your ring slots being used by your covenant ring - Fair trade off if you ask me.

Yeah, I was more concerned about the ring change from a co-op perspective, but after thinking about it I can't come up with any situation where that would impede anything. It definitely seems to be a change for PVP, which I'm fine with.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried it already on PC? I can't get home yet to give it a go, but am reading about this HDMI glitch, as in it doesn't work with an HDMI connection. Has anyone encountered this problem?

Has anyone tried it already on PC? I can't get home yet to give it a go, but am reading about this HDMI glitch, as in it doesn't work with an HDMI connection. Has anyone encountered this problem?

I just tested it with my PC hooked up to a TV via HDMI and it worked fine @ 1080p no problems? So glad I've got it on PC now, the PS3 version feels like a slideshow in a lot of places compared to the solid 60FPS on PC. 

I just tested it with my PC hooked up to a TV via HDMI and it worked fine @ 1080p no problems? So glad I've got it on PC now, the PS3 version feels like a slideshow in a lot of places compared to the solid 60FPS on PC. 

Thanks for the update, hope those cases are isolated. Glad to know it's working well for you and enjoy! Hope to be running it soon as well

Wouldn't an HDMI glitch be a problem with the videocard, not the game? The game just writes to the frame buffer. It's the card's job to transfer it to whatever output is connected. I can't think of a way software would affect a specific output on the card. 

Wouldn't an HDMI glitch be a problem with the videocard, not the game? The game just writes to the frame buffer. It's the card's job to transfer it to whatever output is connected. I can't think of a way software would affect a specific output on the card. 

Just finished a 100 minute session, everything's working fine, using a 7950 with the 12.13 drivers. Maybe the HDMI issue is sporadic? It does appear to be common based on Steam discussions. Anyway, game works fine for me, looks much better than Dark Souls, though not amazing hahaha. It is a much better experience though, a lot more accessible but still challenging. I dropped to my death like five or six times already, a bit heavy on the platforming maybe heh heh. We'll see how it goes, so far so good!

Just finished a 100 minute session, everything's working fine, using a 7950 with the 12.13 drivers. Maybe the HDMI issue is sporadic? It does appear to be common based on Steam discussions. Anyway, game works fine for me, looks much better than Dark Souls, though not amazing hahaha. It is a much better experience though, a lot more accessible but still challenging. I dropped to my death like five or six times already, a bit heavy on the platforming maybe heh heh. We'll see how it goes, so far so good!

Yeah the platforming is a bit janky. I like how you can switch between L3 (or R3?) and B/O to jump this time. At first I used B because that's what I was used to in Dark Souls. But I switched to L3 just to try it, and it seemed a bit better so I stuck with that for the rest of my play time. The collisions detection is still kind of awful, but at least it made jumping easier.

The jump for the grand lance and that chime disc shield were absolute bitches.

Yeah the platforming is a bit janky. I like how you can switch between L3 (or R3?) and B/O to jump this time. At first I used B because that's what I was used to in Dark Souls. But I switched to L3 just to try it, and it seemed a bit better so I stuck with that for the rest of my play time. The collisions detection is still kind of awful, but at least it made jumping easier.

Definitely, the emphasis on jumping is a little jarring at first but you get used to it. The writing is much better this time in terms of dialogue, some very witty and memorable lines, though overall the story itself isn't as clear as in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls...I get the aimlessness and the commentary on life as something we need to fill with purpose ourselves, but this is still fiction, I need some more world building :D

Well coming up on five hours played and am beginning to lose my patience :angry:

The dudes with the gigantic laser guided swords are not helping! Didn't From say that if we beat these dude a certain number of times they wouldn't respawn? What did they mean by that, a hundred times or something? :cry: