Will Office for Mac ever see an update?

Personally I think that Office for Mac 2011 is light years ahead of iWorks.  But OforM 2011 is quite old now when compared to its Windows cousin.  

Office for Mac 2011 was released on October 26, 2010 and is currently on SP4. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_for_Mac_2011 )

Conversely Office for Windows 2010 was released on June 15, 2010 and the suite is now on version 2013. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2010 )

Has MS basically given up on it in favor of Office 365?

Personally I think that Office for Mac 2011 is light years ahead of iWorks.  But OforM 2011 is quite old now when compared to its Windows cousin.  

Office for Mac 2011 was released on October 26, 2010 and is currently on SP4. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_for_Mac_2011 )

Conversely Office for Windows 2010 was released on June 15, 2010 and the suite is now on version 2013. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2010 )

Psst...Here is a little secret. Its going to be office 2015 for Mac. Currently 365 for Mac runs off of 2011 right now. It just does not have all the apps that say 2013 for Windows has.

pretty much. last i heard MS stated they have no plans to release another suite for Mac (but then again that was what i heard back when office 2013 just came out so take my word w/ a grain of salt. maybe things have changed since then)

Psst...Here is a little secret. Its going to be office 2015 for Mac. Currently 365 for Mac runs off of 2011 right now. It just does not have all the apps that say 2013 for Windows has.

I know that with an O365 sub you can install office on up to 5 computers, regardless of the OS.  And the os x version is 2011.

pretty much. last i heard MS stated they have no plans to release another suite for Mac (but then again that was what i heard back when office 2013 just came out so take my word w/ a grain of salt. maybe things have changed since then)

That would suck.  As cool as O365 is, I just don't think it is a desktop replacement yet.

That would suck.  As cool as O365 is, I just don't think it is a desktop replacement yet.

agreed. plus i don't personally like the idea of having to pay a subscription fee just to have an office suite

Yeah, I think OfM is dead, which is a shame because OfM 2011 is such a pile of useless junk due to it's wrong buggy implementation in comparison to it's windows cousin, and OfM 2014 or 2015 could actually fix the problems and make it a usable bit of software.

Yeah, I think OfM is dead, which is a shame because OfM 2011 is such a pile of useless junk due to it's wrong buggy implementation in comparison to it's windows cousin, and OfM 2014 or 2015 could actually fix the problems and make it a usable bit of software.

is it odd that my biggest complaint is that outlook for mac will probably never get active sync support (which means that no mac email app probably ever will or won't for a long time)

It's rumoured to be announced/released somewhere in April. Info comes from a roadmap that leaked last year that, so far, has been correct (with Windows Blue and all that).

An update for Office;Mac is long overdue indeed. MS being totally silent about their roadmap for the Mac BU is reason for concern as well.

Could MS be prioritising Office for iOS over Office:Mac perhaps?

is it odd that my biggest complaint is that outlook for mac will probably never get active sync support (which means that no mac email app probably ever will or won't for a long time)

That for me isn't the worlds biggest deal.  I would like word/powerpoint/excel though updated.  And please figure out what what is going on with document upload/communicator/rdc.  Those are all now completely outdated.

Document uploader: skydrive

Communicator: skype

Rdc: new version off the app store

An update for Office;Mac is long overdue indeed. MS being totally silent about their roadmap for the Mac BU is reason for concern as well.

Could MS be prioritising Office for iOS over Office:Mac perhaps?

There was a leaked road map but personally if all Microsoft did was to make Office 2014 Cocoa native like what they did with Outlook 2011 then add missing functionality such as CardDAV and CalDAV support along with iCloud integration then it would be a great move forward.

That would suck. As cool as O365 is, I just don't think it is a desktop replacement yet.

agreed. plus i don't personally like the idea of having to pay a subscription fee just to have an office suite

Agree. I "downloaded" the trial of 365 the other day and after couple of days i decided to stick with my retail copy of Office 2010.

Something's broken on Twitter I guess.. load the tweet on the Twitter website and you'll see it (might have to reload a few times).

It was this: 

@fpbecker No new news, Frank. We're following you now so we can DM you as soon as we have something to share. http://msft.it/6019gz81

The German article speaks about 'im zweiten Quartal' == in the second quarter of 2014.

Clearly John misunderstood something.