Video Card Help

I'm looking for a decent video card that is low profile to fit in a slim line case and work from a 220w Power Supply.

Any recommendations?

Your best options are probably the Nvidia GT 640 or the AMD R7 250.  The R7 performs a little bit better, but it's also more power hungry, which might cut it really close on that PSU.

You can also get lower models like the GT 630 or the R7 240, which are cheaper.

Your best options are probably the Nvidia GT 640 or the AMD R7 250.  The R7 performs a little bit better, but it's also more power hungry, which might cut it really close on that PSU.

You can also get lower models like the GT 630 or the R7 240, which are cheaper.

The R7 240 won't work, the power requirements are too high, have bought one and it won't work :( I'm unsure whether the R7 250 will work.

The R7 240 won't work, the power requirements are too high, have bought one and it won't work :( I'm unsure whether the R7 250 will work.

Oh, yeah the R7 250 would be even worse.  Maybe a GT 630 would be a safe bet.

Oh, yeah the R7 250 would be even worse.  Maybe a GT 630 would be a safe bet.

GT620

I'm getting confused or I no longer understand video cards lol....

All the GT620/30s I've looked at states a minimum of 300w power supply is required.

Get the GTX 750 Ti. It's Maxwell architecture-based product which is Nvidia's latest GPU architecture. It's the first card to feature this architecture. Form factor wise it's pretty small:

three-quarter.jpg

And performance wise it's great. I picked it over the GTX 650 Ti which is 5% faster because this one supports GPU Boost 2.0, G-Sync and 3D support.

perfrel_1920.gif

In terms of power to performance there is no card better than it.

perfwatt_1920.gif

snip

It looks like there is a low-profile version of the GTX 750 Ti that was announced about a month ago, so that might certainly work.

http://www.galaxytech.com/__EN_GB__/Product2/ProductDetail?proID=517&isStop=0&isPack=False&isPow=False

Somebody else may need to chime in on this, but since these low-profile cards don't require a connection from the PSU, technically they are powered through the PCI-e bus.  So it might be that these cards aren't PSU dependent.  From what I'm seeing, PCI-e v1.0-2.0 will all supply 75W.  The low-profile 750 Ti spec sheet says it will pull a maximum of 60W.  So it looks like you should be completely fine.

^ You have to be correct regarding these cards since the picture doesn't have additional pci-e connection receptacles.

Nvidia has made the GTX 750Ti work with a cheap 300W PSU. http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/geforce-gtx-750-ti-mini-itx-pc-build-guide

That said, you're just not going to find any decent video card that requires less than a 300W PSU. You can certainly try it out and cross your fingers that it doesn't blow up, but with that kind of wattage you should be using integrated graphics. What's your CPU?

Nvidia has made the GTX 750Ti work with a cheap 300W PSU. http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/geforce-gtx-750-ti-mini-itx-pc-build-guide

That said, you're just not going to find any decent video card that requires less than a 300W PSU. You can certainly try it out and cross your fingers that it doesn't blow up, but with that kind of wattage you should be using integrated graphics. What's your CPU?

The CPU is an Intel Core i5-4440 (Haswell) 3.10Ghz.

I'll look into the GTX 750 Ti then.

The CPU is an Intel Core i5-4440 (Haswell) 3.10Ghz.

Well, it has Intel HD Graphics 4600. It's not very good, but apart from changing the entire motherboard/CPU for an AMD Kaveri I don't think you can really do better with such a terrible PSU. At that point, better just get a new PSU altogether.

• 7 months later...

Well apologies, for bringing a old thread up, but I have recently begun to look at this again.

Back in March I did buy 2 AMD R7 240s but for some reason one failed to work so I assumed my PSU wasn't powerful enough as the card worked in another PC fine. I never unpacked the other card destined for an identical PC as the first one. I sold one of the cards but was unable to sell the other one.

So on a whim, I installed the second R7 240 and it's working fine in one of the PCs with a 220W Power Supply. So I have just ordered another one for the other PC. So hopefully this is now sorted.

Going to award the best answer to Astra.Extreme as he suggested a R7 250/240.