Couple kicked out of McDonald's, for over-staying

Virginia couple Carl and Barbara Becker were enjoying what they like to call 'scrunch,' their meal between lunch and supper. They do this three times a week, sometimes at McDonald's -- though they likely won't be returning.

'A couple says an apology from McDonald's is simply not enough after a manager at McDonald's kicked them out of the restaurant for staying too long. At first the veteran Carl Becker and his wife Barbara refused to leave.'

WTTG reports that while the Beckers were eating their usual fare, an employee brought out a broom and started cleaning near where they were eating.

'The dust started kicking up and it was just flying everywhere and she says 'does this bother you?' and I said, 'only if you like to eat dirt does this not bother me.'

Barbara Becker says shortly after that, the manager said their 30-minute time limit was up, and they had to leave so employees could clean the floor.

The thing is, no one could find any signs in the restaurant stating there's a 30-minute time limit.

Not even the TV station.

Carl Becker wrote a letter to the editor of the Culpeper Star-Exponent about the incident, noting:

'I have had many experiences in my lifetime as a WWII veteran ... a retiree from the Ballistic Missile Defense Organization at the Pentagon, and the father of six children ... but none as unusual as being asked to leave a restaurant so they could clean the floor under and around the table where I sat.'

The McDonald's corporate office addressed the situation and offered the Beckers two free coffees.

'The Beckers say the restaurant was not crowded ... the people that own that McDonald's issued a statement, 'my organization takes these matters seriously and is investigating the customer's claims.''

Carl Becker's letter said the situation was 'so unbelievable' that it didn't even raise any feelings of hostility or embarrassment.

source & video

I hate it when cleaning people get into my personal space (eating table, work desk, etc.) while I'm using it. Even worse that these guys were kicked out of the restaurant.

• Like 2

The article continuously mentions that he was a veteran.  How is this relevant?

You probably know why, you just don't like it.

if you don't know why, it's because they want more empathy for the 'Beckers'.

• Like 2

You probably know why, you just don't like it.

No I don't know why.  It bears no relevance.  Any paying customer should be extended the same courtesies, so rather than make assumptions surrounding what I "know", please tell me.

The only context of merit that I can see is to suggest that he has "seen more than most" hence his surprise at this!?

Aaaaaaah, just read the smallprint.  So it bears no relevance, it is simply there to make the story emotive.

• Like 3

No I don't know why.  It bears no relevance.  Any paying customer should be extended the same courtesies, so rather than make assumptions surrounding what I "know", please tell me.

The only context of merit that I can see is to suggest that he has "seen more than most" hence his surprise at this!?

Aaaaaaah, just read the smallprint.  So it bears no relevance, it is simply there to make the story emotive.

That's part of Journalism 101.

To get people who think veterans should be above regular people riled up. Hell I'm still serving and feel really awkward and guilty when people thank me. 

Vetrans should be treated better by the govt and by companies that hire. But otherwise it's a service to their country, they shouldn't expect to be put on a pedestal when going to Walmart or in this case MCD's. It then becomes irrelevant as they are now a citizen.

Now as far as this news goes, the manager is just a deusche is all, some people are just like that. There are tons of jerks in all sorts of management positions. He's a low wage worker at a fast food joint, honestly I think the couple are just being crybabies about the situation. He's just a low wage manager, a nobody...telll him to f** off and call the police if he thinks it's a rule of the establishment and ask why it's not posted, to which we know the answer to that.

Now if it was an all you can eat buffet or they are about to close for the night or if the patrons are causing problems it's very reasonable to ask them to leave. If the establishment is very crowded, one could argue that they need to keep customers shuffling along so new customers have a seat but 30min is a bit short for that argument. If it's a privately owned local business then I'm sure thats at the owners discretion to kick out whoever they want whenever. Otherwise I'd tell him to please not bother me and go on.

• Like 1

Maybe I shouldn't have made it so small.

I like how you assumed I assumed. :)

I am not American, but let's play this out as if I were...  Now don't get me wrong, I would thank you as a serving member or as a veteran.  You are working for me (in a sense to protect me).  The same as I would thank someone who served me in a bar, a doctor, or anyone else who deserved my thanks.

But as a paying customer in a store, I don't see how a veteran should be afforded any more rights than any other paying customer.  I am in no way trivialising serving your country or going to war.  I am merely saying that the difference shouldn't matter in such a situation.

Anyone else love how emphasis was placed on the fact that the TV crew couldn't find the signs either. 

To be fair on the couple, 30 minutes is really nothing at all. I had assumed they'd stayed for many hours prior to reading the article. 

Anyone else love how emphasis was placed on the fact that the TV crew couldn't find the signs either. 

To be fair on the couple, 30 minutes is really nothing at all. I had assumed they'd stayed for many hours prior to reading the article. 

I did, but something was compelling me not to post..

When I was younger, and just started dating, 11 am in my local McD's was usually empty, so if we sat there for an hour, or longer, nobody cared.

I just thinking the manager in the article restaurant is a jerk, and decided against posting.

I was expecting them to have been in hours too, not 30 minutes. The only way id have understood, is if they'd finished in 10 minutes, and sat there occupying a table for 20 minutes during peak times etc.

30 minutes is barely enough time to finish a meal, not that I'd call what McDonald's serves worthy of that status. I wish people would just stop going there and let it die out. It's a tumour on the rear end of the culinary world.

That's one thing about most restaurants in US, save for the really high-end ones--it's all about turning over tables. I suppose since food is cheaper and they don't make as much per table? Even at non-fast-food places, they hurry you along, they interrupt several times during the meal, they bring your bill when you still have things on your plate... I guess it's just the culture. But 30 minutes? That's ludicrous. (And no, the fact he's a veteran shouldn't make any difference in this particular scenario. Any paying customer, especially a regular, deserves more respect than this.)

• Like 5

The article mention veteran several times not only to make viewers empathize with the couple but to be fair it did mention that he was a WWII veteran, so it's a very old couple. And as far as i recall, old people should be treated better, regardless of being in war or not (being a WWII veteran it's a plus, but i doubt any of the restaurant employees knew he was a WWII veteran anyways); as a society we should protect the young and the elderly, but the laters are getting more neglected than ever.

They were paid costumers? Yes.

The restaurant was full? No.

Were they being reckless towards the other costumers? Probably not.

So what happened? It was a very stupid move from the employees and the sorry excuse the corporate made (two free coffees? really? asking for money by the couple is pushing but giving two free coffees is not even a proper excuse) is the prove that the stupidity really comes from the top.

I've seen managers move people out at Burger King.

If I'm hanging out at McDonald's, and it gets too busy, I give up my seat and leave on my own,.

I've seen managers move people out at Burger King.

If I'm hanging out at McDonald's, and it gets too busy, I give up my seat and leave on my own,.

wow. classy move from the managers :s

i've never seen anything like that from a fast food chain (at least in my country); in fact they have several stuff to make you stay: free wifi, lounge for drinking coffee and read, etc.

To get people who think veterans should be above regular people riled up. Hell I'm still serving and feel really awkward and guilty when people thank me. 

Well, you have to admit, it's a marked improvement on how vets were treated after Vietnam!

Thanking you for your service is rather a lot nicer than spitting at you and calling you a baby killer... ;)

• Like 2

Well, you have to admit, it's a marked improvement on how vets were treated after Vietnam!

Thanking you for your service is rather a lot nicer than spitting at you and calling you a baby killer... ;)

Which is really puzzling considering they were drafted in against their will and sent there.

Hello,

I hate it when cleaning people get into my personal space (eating table, work desk, etc.)

Yeah me too......I mean, not only is it my desk, but Im working and I need to be centered on it. Cant have someone with a broom or wiping a screen, etc.

Do it when I go to the bathroom or Im away from my desk. I usually dont move at all when they come to "clean" my area.

Because obviously veterans are better people than you and i! /s