Naughty Dog talk about the internals of the PS4

MS Was keeping a lot more resource wise than sony was.  Their latest patch is meant to address that.

From the info above, we know that both reserve 3GB of ram and 2 cpu cores. I know for a fact that the 3GB of ram reservation on the ps4 was not an accepted fact by most online for quite a while.

Your right though that the difference is the X1 has some gpu reservations for the OS, where there is none for the ps4. I forgot about that part.

I didn't mean to make it seem like things were closer between the two, sorry about that.

From the info above, we know that both reserve 3GB of ram and 2 cpu cores. I know for a fact that the 3GB of ram reservation on the ps4 was not an accepted fact by most online for quite a while.

Your right though that the difference is the X1 has some gpu reservations for the OS, where there is none for the ps4. I forgot about that part.

I didn't mean to make it seem like things were closer between the two, sorry about that.

No need to apologize.  I was just pointing out the difference.  When it comes down to it, what do people complain about? Framerate, Resolution, etc.  Not that if they play a game for too long the system seems to slow down.  The major complaint comes in the form of graphics, ram isn't really considered on the console side.

The major complaint comes in the form of graphics, ram isn't really considered on the console side.

Ram was a big topic when discussing the next gen consoles though. I agree with you that graphics are the biggest piece, but for some reason many people focused on the reserved ram size, especially once we found out it was 3GB on the X1.

Ram was a big topic when discussing the next gen consoles though. I agree with you that graphics are the biggest piece, but for some reason many people focused on the reserved ram size, especially once we found out it was 3GB on the X1.

Fair enough.  I think the reserved ram was more for the pc crowd as that's where we really see ram as a factor.  Especially because people look at it and think: "Wait.. so windows has 3gb of my 8gb.. which means I am limited to only 5gb for everything else?!" Which is what happens on a computer.. but consoles handle it differently.

Fair enough.  I think the reserved ram was more for the pc crowd as that's where we really see ram as a factor.  Especially because people look at it and think: "Wait.. so windows has 3gb of my 8gb.. which means I am limited to only 5gb for everything else?!" Which is what happens on a computer.. but consoles handle it differently.

Exactly. Unfortunately, people like to jump to conclusions when it comes to these discussions without all the facts.

Good discussion. First of all, let me remind you that back in 2011 or so we were thinking the new consoles would be 4GB max. PC snobs and console haters were more leaning towards 2GB a la what transpired with Wii U. We got 8GB. As for the 8GB flash and 2GB DDR3, those can be reconfigured to be used for anything, like texture streaming instead of keeping apps in memory for the fast switching. I'm sure things will improve with time. This is the known advantage of a static design, it can be tweaked and learned, unlike constant flux hardware that stays for a year max and then is replaced.

Problem with static hardware is that it can overstay its welcome, as was the case with 360/PS3. This will not happen this time around.

Good discussion. First of all, let me remind you that back in 2011 or so we were thinking the new consoles would be 4GB max. PC snobs and console haters were more leaning towards 2GB a la what transpired with Wii U. We got 8GB. As for the 8GB flash and 2GB DDR3, those can be reconfigured to be used for anything, like texture streaming instead of keeping apps in memory for the fast switching. I'm sure things will improve with time. This is the known advantage of a static design, it can be tweaked and learned, unlike constant flux hardware that stays for a year max and then is replaced.

Problem with static hardware is that it can overstay its welcome, as was the case with 360/PS3. This will not happen this time around.

That is true, I remember many people that were very confident that 4GB would be the absolute max we might see. Who would have thought we wold see both consoles get 8GB.

I guess in a strange twist, both MS and Sony exceeded expectations regarding ram while they fell short in regards to gpu.

• Like 1

That is true, I remember many people that were very confident that 4GB would be the absolute max we might see. Who would have thought we wold see both consoles get 8GB.

Well, if tablets and smartphones are currently reaching 3GB of ram, it will take few more years until you see 8GB of ram in smartphones and tablets. In the tech world, there is not limits in how much of RAM you can put to any device.

I guess in a strange twist, both MS and Sony exceeded expectations regarding ram while they fell short in regards to gpu.

The CPUGPUs on both are quite nice, 5 and 7 billion transistors is quite impressive, and up to 20 logic cores is very good. Clock speeds are low due to MS and Sony being absolutely terrified of overheating issues, and who can blame them? The clocks may be adjusted, but I don't think it's necessary. Look at what Wii U does with a 1.2GHz CPU, games run nice and look very good. I repeat that we haven't even seen a single native game to either PS4 or X1, we need to be patient.