ok

So i have some folders i want to share on the server

i have

/home/distros
/home/photos
/home/software

Now i want everyone to be able to access the folders

and i want two people to be able to read/write to the folders

So am i better using two groups for this?

so have

share-admins
share-users

for example

then have the users assigned to those groups?

would it just be a case of

sudo usermod -a -G share-admin haggis

to add me

and then 

sudo chgrp -R share-admin /home/distros
sudo chmod -R g+w /home/distros

Now i use Transmission to download the linux distros

so do i need to add the transmission username to the share-admin group aswell so that it can write to the folders?

also will the above make it so that any new files that are written by myself are also updated with those permissions?

Hello,

ok

So i have some folders i want to share on the server

i have

/home/distros
/home/photos
/home/software
Now i want everyone to be able to access the folders

and i want two people to be able to read/write to the folders

So you want everyone to be able to read the folders but you only want two people to be able to read and WRITE to the folders. Correct?

So am i better using two groups for this?

so have

share-admins
share-users
for example

then have the users assigned to those groups?

would it just be a case of

sudo usermod -a -G share-admin haggis
to add me

and then 

sudo chgrp -R share-admin /home/distros
sudo chmod -R g+w /home/distros

so do i need to add the transmission username to the share-admin group aswell so that it can write to the folders?

also will the above make it so that any new files that are written by myself are also updated with those permissions?

How many people is "everyone"? If "everyone" is a small dose, I wouldn't bother with groups.

If transmission will be running under a different user then yes, you need to add that user to a group that has write permissions in that folder.

And no, files you create won't necessarily have the same permissions you set for that folder. File (and directory) permission on creation are defined by umask, not chmod. You'd have to set the desired umask for your user in your ~/.bashrc (or globally for all users in /etc/profile).

Then again umask could be overkill because it's applied to every single file and directory that user creates. If you want to apply specific creation permissions for files under one single specific folder then you'll be better off using ACLs. Unlike the standard mask permissions, ACLs are actually inherited by newly created files in the folder where ACLs are set.