ps3 ps vita ps4 adam boyes indie developers sony

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 16 March 2014 - 15:16

Microsoft's parity clause forces indie developers who do not have the resources to make a multiplatform game from the get-go to release on the Xbox first because then they can release to the PlayStation at a later date if it does well, knowing Sony do not have the same parity clause.

I personally think Sony have the right to advertise this fact, considering that if they did have a parity clause most developers would release to the PS4 first due to the larger install base and then that game would never release on the Xbox One due to Microsoft's parity clause.

That does not stop a company from releasing on the ps4 first and then the x1. The clause does not bar you from already being out on another console as far as I have seen. It refers directly to a game that is not out anywhere yet. Plus, considering MS has said they will work with any dev that cannot agree to that clause, maybe MS has smartened up enough to know that any rules they make cannot be applied universally.

So basically, if a developer cannot afford to be out on both platforms at once, they have three choices:

1. Release on the X1 first
2. Release on the ps4 first
3. Release on both at the same time.

The clause does not make any of those options impossible.

Still, as you point out, Sony has the right to bring up the fact that they do not lay down any rules for their service. There are literally no limitations. So if MS has any rules at all, Sony can use that against them as they are here. Its a very effective strategy online. People eat this stuff up. Then it trickles down to the general gamer masses as those people online spread things around. Its cheap but effective pr.

#32 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:22

That does not stop a company from releasing on the ps4 first and then the x1. The clause does not bar you from already being out on another console as far as I have seen. It refers directly to a game that is not out anywhere yet. Plus, considering MS has said they will work with any dev that cannot agree to that clause, maybe MS has smartened up enough to know that any rules they make cannot be applied universally.

So basically, if a developer cannot afford to be out on both platforms at once, they have three choices:

1. Release on the X1 first
2. Release on the ps4 first
3. Release on both at the same time.

The clause does not make any of those options impossible.

Still, as you point out, Sony has the right to bring up the fact that they do not lay down any rules for their service. There are literally no limitations. So if MS has any rules at all, Sony can use that against them as they are here. Its a very effective strategy online. People eat this stuff up. Then it trickles down to the general gamer masses as those people online spread things around. Its cheap but effective pr.

Also can you explain the terms of the parity clause, cause the way you are saying it.. Its seems like there is no point in even having one.

#33 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 March 2014 - 19:07

Also can you explain the terms of the parity clause, cause the way you are saying it.. Its seems like there is no point in even having one.

I'm not sure there is a point in having the clause, although I can see why MS would prefer it.

MS is claiming that they will waive that clause if a developer cannot comply, they just need to bring it up to MS.  At least publicly, they are saying they will work with a developer when needed.

I don't know the terms since I've never seen it in a complete form, just the snippets that we get leaked.  It sounds like MS' intent with the clause was to try and avoid a situation where a game was released many months later on the X1 vs another platform, which reduces the value of the game sales wise on the X1.  So in exchange for whatever MS offers developers in the program (has anyone found out what exactly MS 'offers'?), they wanted to ask developers to plan to release the X1 version within the same window as other platforms. 

So basically, this only applies to developers that have not released a game yet at the time of signing the agreement.  I have not seen anyone claim that MS has refused a developer from joining the program that has already released a game on another platform and want to bring that game to the X1.  If they have, then its a bigger problem.  I'm just going by what has been leaked. 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!