What is the best designed website you've seen ?

Now, this is going to be rather contentious, since website design, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Further, since no person on this planet has viewed all extant websites, ones opinions will necessarily be restricted to the websites heretofore viewed.

For me, the top five well laid out websites (in no particular order of preference), are:

USA Today

Snapfiles

WinBeta

New York Times

AskVG

As for the top five worst (IMO):

PC Mag (Since the makeover)

The Verge

Tom's Hardware

MakeUseOf

Techworld

To me, the above five were leagues better before their "makeover".

Especially PC Mag, which is now a fustercluck.

Best: Facebook. Laugh and call me troll all you want. You try to take what they're doing and design it better. Although I consider practicality in design. Pure beauty with no ability is useless and bad design to me.

Worst: Yahoo. It's like they throw #### ideas on a wall and pick the one that sucks the most. Then they slap ads on it.

Best: Facebook. Laugh and call me troll all you want. You try to take what they're doing and design it better. Although I consider practicality in design. Pure beauty with no ability is useless and bad design to me.

Worst: Yahoo. It's like they throw #### ideas on a wall and pick the one that sucks the most. Then they slap ads on it.

I agree (to some extent). Facebook's site is better than Yahoo's.

But these websites have different demographics (target audiences).

Best: HealthCare.gov /s

Worst: Youtube, Yahoo

The Youtube App, though, is really well designed. I love how you can move the video around with a flick. Very cool.

Some of the best that I remember at the moment:

gov.uk

Boston Globe

the new BBC iPlayer

The worst

The Verge - I use adblock on this page not for the ads but for the big chunks of the pages that I don't like :P

Any Gawker site (especially their horrible comment interface)

For me, the recent Microsoft, MSDN and CodePlex sites, The Verge isn't too bad, growing on me, and yea, no buttkissing involved but Neowin's pretty good looking too. (As long as that expanded width option is available.)

Worst.. pretty much anything and everything under the myspace.com or geocities.com domains.

http://www2.warnerbros.com/spacejam/movie/jam.htm

http://youvegotmail.warnerbros.com/cmp/0frameset.html

Still check them everyday...

/s

My favourites would have to be OneDrive and Office Online. Both have revolutionized how I work - no more having to email documents back and forth.

Woops, I forgot this one also: http://www.lost-world.com/ingen/index.html :D

I actually like Apple.ca and some other website with a simple minimalist theme to it. I like how when you scroll everything moves with it and flows.... hard to explain.

The worst website in my opinion is Huffington Post. Random fonts, colours, articles.... almost impossible to find anything... thats if you can find it before the website decides to reload itself. The site also does not work on any smartphone or tablet device. Reminds me of the 90's on crack!

Neowin.net, Osnews.com and macrumors.com i like news sites to be more function over style, these two sites present the information really well without the usual guff and because of that they generally load quicker.

I will say that also neowin.net, osnews.com and macrumors also have great mobile sites for when im viewing the pages on my iPhone. 

Aesthetics i would say apple.com/uk, clean with enough of the animations and effects. Amazon.co.uk, generally easy to browse and find what you want.

Bad sites, 

BBC it's getting harder and harder to find information they seem to be trying to condense as much as they can into as little space as they can, same for arstechnica, love the articles but they seem to be condensing the layout.

bmw.co.uk is a major pain in the arse, it never seems to work, it's almost like they wanted to do the apple thing but it failed.

On the fence i would say Microsoft.com, i love some of the new parts with metro but some parts still have really old layouts, some parts its easy to find what you want, others it's really difficult. Technet is a good site as is msdn, however microsoft.com/servers is getting a lot more convulted.